Trying to identify which Clip I have so that I can start with Rockbox

Hi,

I have this Clip (Amazon), but it’s hard to find out which model it is as regards what I should choose when installing Rockbox. I’d be grateful if anyone could tell me.

Also I bought a 32gb Sandisk memory card (Amazon again) for the Clip, and am curious that the Rockbox installer lets me choose that as a potential target for the install. Maybe it’s a Mac thing, but the memory card mounts as a separate volume when you connect the Clip via USB.

My other big question is, once I have identified the model, where can I find the boot file that the installer needs to start the Rockbox install? The pop-up in Rockbox pointed me here, so I guess I’m following a familiar path (!), but I can’t see a pinned post about it anywhere.

Would be immensely grateful for a clue.

Lots of info and links here:

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53702&highlight=rockbox

Looks like it’ll be a long project. Thanks for the link, anyway.

Don’t bother with the Rockbox installer application. Just drag and drop the files you need. It takes about five minutes to be up and running.

@twoshedsmcginty wrote:

Hi,

I have this Clip (Amazon), but it’s hard to find out which model it is as regards what I should choose when installing Rockbox. I’d be grateful if anyone could tell me.

Also I bought a 32gb Sandisk memory card (Amazon again) for the Clip, and am curious that the Rockbox installer lets me choose that as a potential target for the install. Maybe it’s a Mac thing, but the memory card mounts as a separate volume when you connect the Clip via USB.

My other big question is, once I have identified the model, where can I find the boot file that the installer needs to start the Rockbox install? The pop-up in Rockbox pointed me here, so I guess I’m following a familiar path (!), but I can’t see a pinned post about it anywhere.

Would be immensely grateful for a clue.

As your linked page states as to the product, you have a Clip+.    :wink:

It is relatively easy to install Rockbox, using the Rockbox Utility.  Simply follow the instructions (which are up-to-date, as versus in other locations).  Note:  you do need to read about what you need to do, to know what you need to do.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxUtility

I also first recommend that you first look at the Rockbox manual, for an overview of the install process.

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipplus/rockbox-buildch2.html#x4-60002

And, I assume that the file you reference as needing can be found here:  http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/Sansa-Clip-Firmware-Update-01-02-18/td-p/280756 

Use the “firmware download” link there (_ not _ the “Updater” links).

I have two Rockboxed Clip+. I can’t say anything about working on a PC but used on a Mac the Utility was useless. Each time it corrupted the Clip+ and I had to reformat them. Instead I used a Freeware programme to make invisibles visible and then dragged all the required files to the root of the Clip+ and everything worked fine.

You need to be able to see invisible files on a Mac as the unzipped Rockbox folder has a full point in front of the name which on a Mac makes the folder invisible.

I also use “Hidden Cleaner” every time I eject the Clip+ to stop all the phantom Mac files building up.

I’ve designed my own Theme which does everything I need and is clear and easy to use. I wouldn’t go back to the Original Firmware.

@macuser wrote:

I have two Rockboxed Clip+. I can’t say anything about working on a PC but used on a Mac the Utility was useless. Each time it corrupted the Clip+ and I had to reformat them. 

What the installer does is copy the necessary files to the player using standard OS file copy APIs, so if it corrupts the player, thats something wrong with your PC or the player.  

@macuser wrote:

Instead I used a Freeware programme to make invisibles visible and then dragged all the required files to the root of the Clip+ and everything worked fine.

Just to be clear, while this will work if you use the unofficial patched bootloader you linked above, it will not work with the instructions everyone else is linking, which will do absolutely nothing if you just copy to the player.  So either use the installer (which is the easier solution) or else use the manual method and the unofficial bootloader. 

Just reporting my experience. I tried the Rockbox Utility on two different Macs and it didn’t work correctly on either. That was some years ago so I can’t say what the situation is now.

Once loaded Rockbox has worked perfectly and, as I said, I wouldn’t go back to the OF.

I also use Rockbox on two Samsung players where it’s also fine but I didn’t use the Utility.

I was mystified when I downloaded a boot file and it unzipped to nothing! Since I use Hidden Cleaner to get rid of all the Mac file-system droppings before unmounting, it’s yet one more sign that using a Mac to set-up RockBox isn’t a good idea. I wonder whether I could even use a RockBoxed Clip on a Mac if I were to actually do the installing on my old Lenovo thinkpad.

I’m very grateful for all these replies - it certainly has given me pause to think how discontent I actually may not be with the Clip as it is…

I’m a PC dude, but I would guess that using the Rockboxed Clip on your Mac would be just fine (with Hidden Cleaner)–set to MSC USB mode, the player simply is seen as a drive.

Saratoga is a Rockbox developer. Pay attention to what he wrote.