Track of albums not sorted

Hi there, (excuse my english, I’m french…)
I’m using my sansa clip under linux, as an MSC device. I have some troubles : For some of my albums, tracks are just nicely sorted, but for some other I can’t find anything logic in the sort : Some might be sorted alphabeticaly, others doesn’t seems to be sorted in any way…
All my id3 tags are fine, with Artist, Album, Track numbers… Maybe some doesn’t got id3v1 tags but only i3dv2.4 tags… Might it affect the player ?
Thanks for help !

Up
Am I the only one having this problem ? Am I not explaining well enought ?
Please help, it’s really annoying !
Thanks

Don’t know if my input will help you much, but yes, I do believe there are issues w/this in MSC mode, but nothing that should hurt the player unless you possibly have some tags missing.  Then it might freeze up, but you can always reset it, find the “corrupt” files and delete them.  I don’t have my player set up by “artist/album” like a lot of people do, I just load a bunch of random songs from my collection.  I did try an “artist/album” setup one time as a test actually, in MSC mode.  The album showed up under “Albums” with tracks in correct order, but strangely enough the “Artist” was nowhere to be found in the database!  If you search here and at the anythingbutipod forum, I believe you will find people are having simialar issues.  Also, only guessing here, but the firmware probably does look at id3v1 tags, either as first priority, or more likely, just in case you have missing id3v2 tags.

I have the same problem.
It looks like player ignores the ‘track’ ID and plays tracks in order it finds them on device (ls -lf displays the same track order)

its all in teh tags, I understand that you guys see the information there, but the clip doesn’t like something about it.

Try editing the tags in a different program then originally used, or maybe just making the clip refresh its database to see the new id3 tags.

I know that the Id3 v1 and v2 matters on the e200.

Message Edited by Enigma on 03-07-2008 07:42 AM

The Sansa Clip plays tracks in the order they were copied to the player (timestamp I guess), not by tag info.

Tyrion wrote:
The Sansa Clip plays tracks in the order they were copied to the player (timestamp I guess), not by tag info.

that has to be wrong. I’m pretty sure it plays it in alphabetical order based on the selection (artist, songs, etc…)

I have a Sansa Clip 2gb with radio, firmware v01.01.20F.

All my songs are named like tracknumber-title i.e. “02-Caught in a Web”

They have ID3v2.3 tags made with Mp3Tag.

All songs were transfered in MSC mode.

Im positive it plays in the order the songs was copied when I play by “Music-Artist-Album” or “Music-Album”.

But… if I chose to play “Music-Songs” or “Music-Play All” it sorts alphabetically.

Try it yourself. Delete a song on the clip and copy it back from the computer.

Maybe Im odd but I want to listen to my music in the order it has on the album, not in alphabetical order.

if you want to listen to it in album order, you have to select Music-artist-Album. Anything else is alphabetical (if im not mistaken).

I agree with you about album order, some albums just dont sound right without it.

So you can still play it in album order, if you so please. You just have to select it through Music-Artist-Album.

Although album order is all good and dandy, having the option for ONLY album order wouldn’t be a good thing.

Tyrion wrote: All songs were transfered in MSC mode.

Im positive it plays in the order the songs was copied when I play by “Music-Artist-Album” or “Music-Album”.

I just tried; it should play the song that I transferred last, last, right? :wink: - Mine does not. It plays in album order. But when I select Music-Songs, anything transferred with MSC gets sorted alphabetically according to the FIRST letter only, i.e. a song title beginning with Sa… comes AFTER all the S-songs transferred using MTP. Weird.

Enigma wrote: if you want to listen to it in album order, you have to select Music-artist-Album. Anything else is alphabetical

I agree, that’s how it works for me too. And I almost always prefer album order, which is why I have suggested to add an option to “continue-with-next-album-when-finished” in the feature thread.

Message Edited by SajmonDK on 03-19-2008 08:21 PM

SajmonDK wrote:

Tyrion wrote: All songs were transfered in MSC mode.

Im positive it plays in the order the songs was copied when I play by “Music-Artist-Album” or “Music-Album”.

I just tried; it should play the song that I transferred last, last, right? :wink: - Mine does not. It plays in album order. But when I select Music-Songs, anything transferred with MSC gets sorted alphabetically according to the FIRST letter only, i.e. a song title beginning with Sa… comes AFTER all the S-songs transferred using MTP. Weird.

Enigma wrote: if you want to listen to it in album order, you have to select Music-artist-Album. Anything else is alphabetical

I agree, that’s how it works for me too. And I almost always prefer album order, which is why I have suggested to add an option to “continue-with-next-album-when-finished” in the feature thread.

Message Edited by SajmonDK on 03-19-2008 08:21 PM

Not a bad idea, a work-around would be creating a playlist (just fyi)

First of, all just got the Clip yesterday and have been playing around with its features. Considering the price, the quality is quite nice. 

The only real issue I’ve found so far is this track order within albums. As I have been used to listen to music by albums, the order of the tracks matters to me. But if I try to play an album, e.g…, via Music->Artist->Album, the tracks are played in the order they were written to the Clip. The file name doesn’t matter (each track name is prepended with the track number), nor does the id3 tags help. The only way to play the tracks in order is to create a playlist defining the order and then selecting to play that on the Clip. Though this is a small annoyance, I think this kind of issue should not exist if the device is able to handle the tags etc. The problem almost cancels the whole concept of having albums (and shuffle).

Just hoping that the order issue is addressed in some fw update. 

(I have the fw version 01.01.20F on the device and I’ve used MSC mode to transfer music to it.)

jobec

I’m not sure what your missing, but the player does play album in album order; based on id3 tags. It would be horrible if it didnt.

Hi, 

Seems that I may be doing something wrong, then. The files I’ve used, contain both id3v1 and id3v2.4 tags created during encoding. I tried to remove the v2.4 tags, no help. Converted v2.4 to v2.3, no help. Tried to edit the tags with Mp3tag, ID3Tag-IT and Winamp, no help. The tracks are always played in the order they were copied to the device. And as you say, it is horrible. (Even when browsing to Music-> Artist-> Album, the tracks are in the order they were copied to the device, regardless of the tags.)

Even though this may be a case of “stupid user error”, I would appreciate any clue for fixing it.

– 

jobec 

It seems the “Track number”  field is missing from your tags.  If you import the album information (over the Internet) usually the track number field is populated properly.  Can you double check the Track number fields in your tags? If incorrect,  please update them.

Hi,

Nope, the track numbers were correct all along, but I found the cause for the problem with a hint from another thread about the tag format. The tags were in UTF-8. Changing them to ISO-8859-1 fixed the problem. I should have realised that earlier… 

Thanks anyway for the suggestions. 

– 

jobec 

Thank you jobec!!!

I had my tags in UTF-16, that is evidently also a no-no with the Sansa…

With tags in ISO-8859-1 my songs now sort by tag under Artists and Albums.

( I had sort of gotten used to copying the files in order but now I dont have to that anymore :smileyvery-happy: )

Tyrion

For those of us having the same problem but less educated about these things, could you please explain how you changed the tag format to ISO-8859-1?  Did you use a utility like mp3tag?  Or…?  And how does one tell what the format of a given tag is? Thanks.

I’ve never had any problems like that…

But then again, all of my songs are sorted pretty darn clearly:

Artist\Year - Album Name\Track Number - Song Name.mp3

(with proper, and complete ID3 tags, set thru foobar2000)

*shrug* 

@earthman wrote:
For those of us having the same problem but less educated about these things, could you please explain how you changed the tag format to ISO-8859-1?  Did you use a utility like mp3tag?  Or…?  And how does one tell what the format of a given tag is? Thanks.

Good question, Earthman–been wondering myself.  The one time I had an issue like this with a podcast, I simply called the file up with The Godfather and resaved the information already there–that did the trick.