Tagging software doesn't recognize player...

You might want to try MP3TAG. It will edit files on the player and is recommended by 4 out of 5 Sansa Gurus here on the forum. :wink:

Tapeworm wrote:
You might want to try MP3TAG. It will edit files on the player and is recommended by 4 out of 5 Sansa Gurus here on the forum. :wink:

I am one of those 4 out of 5 :wink:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Tapeworm wrote:

I am one of those 4 out of 5 :wink:

Is that 4 out of 5 just in case of future dissent or development of something better? I would estimate a higher percentage, perhaps 4.75 out of 5. (I can say I some times recommend Tagging with MediaMonkey in special Cases)

thanks very much, I will try it.

OK, I tried it and for some reason this program is not fully recognizing my Clip+ player either.

when I click the “change directory” button I can navigate to the player, but when I click on it, there are no directories and an error message pops up saying I can’t use that directory.   OS is Windows XP.

sometimes it doesn’t show the device at all.  hmmmmmmmmmm?
Message Edited by garybeck on 01-05-2010 10:16 PM

It won’t work if you’re in MTP mode as it doesn’t see the player as a drive.  You would need to either copy the files to the computer, tag then and copy them back OR copy the files to the computer, delete the music on the player, switch to MSC mode and copy everything back then tag everything (or tag then copy).  Generally speaking it’s best to keep copies on your computer too anyway.

summerlove wrote:
It won’t work if you’re in MTP mode as it doesn’t see the player as a drive.  You would need to either copy the files to the computer, tag then and copy them back OR copy the files to the computer, delete the music on the player, switch to MSC mode and copy everything back then tag everything (or tag then copy).  Generally speaking it’s best to keep copies on your computer too anyway.

Summerlove gets the

summerlove wrote:

Summerlove gets the

I was about to ask what MTP and MSC mode is… I searched the Clip+ manual and there is no mention of either???

But I did find the sticky on it here in the forum.  In case others are reading this, here it is:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=announcements&thread.id=96

one question though… on the sticky it doesn’t say I have to delete everything from the device, switch modes, and then re-upload.  It says I can just switch modes.  Can I do that???  Or do I need to delete everything first?  I guess I could just try it without deleting and see if it works.

I do understand the use of having a copy of all my music on my computer… however I have a LOT of music and pretty soon my hard drive will fill up; plus it just seems like an extra step having to work on the files on my computer and then copy… and it’s hard to make sure everything is in sync, or which files I haven’t copied over yet.  It would be simpler just to have one location.

garybeck wrote:

I was about to ask what MTP and MSC mode is… I searched the Clip+ manual and there is no mention of either???

But I did find the sticky on it here in the forum.  In case others are reading this, here it is:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=announcements&thread.id=96

one question though… on the sticky it doesn’t say I have to delete everything from the device, switch modes, and then re-upload.  It says I can just switch modes.  Can I do that???  Or do I need to delete everything first?  I guess I could just try it without deleting and see if it works.

I do understand the use of having a copy of all my music on my computer… however I have a LOT of music and pretty soon my hard drive will fill up; plus it just seems like an extra step having to work on the files on my computer and then copy… and it’s hard to make sure everything is in sync, or which files I haven’t copied over yet.  It would be simpler just to have one location.

If you’re low on hard drive space, you can burn your music files onto a data DVD, roughly 4.4GB will fit on one.:wink:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

If you’re low on hard drive space, you can burn your music files onto a data DVD, roughly 4.4GB will fit on one.:wink:

I found myself in this same predicament. I went out and bought an external hard drive just for storing music and video back-ups. They’re super-cheap now and just plug in via USB.

Tapeworm wrote:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

I found myself in this same predicament. I went out and bought an external hard drive just for storing music and video back-ups. They’re super-cheap now and just plug in via USB.

Another fine option you bring up, as always.

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Just bought 2 myself…hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. When you are in the process of ripping your entire collection to flac, drives fill up quick.

fuze_owner-GB wrote:

Just bought 2 myself…hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. When you are in the process of ripping your entire collection to flac, drives fill up quick.

With the size of your music collection, the process of ripping all of it to FLAC might also result in burning up a CD drive or two. :wink:

fuze_owner-GB wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

No kidding…my music library has already more than doubled in size since I started my flac-ing, and I still have about 1/3 of the CD’s to go! My old computer was running out of room, luckily that’s no longer an issue.:wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

With the size of your music collection, the process of ripping all of it to FLAC might also result in burning up a CD drive or two. :wink:

Yeah, I thought of that.  When I got a secondary optical drive for my new computer, I ordered 2…so I have another drive waiting in the wings if I burn one up!! :smileyvery-happy:

@garybeck wrote:

You can only see files uploaded in MTP while in MTP mode, and the same for MSC.  That’s why it’s best to choose one mode and stick to it.  There’s no way to get the MTP tracks to show up in mp3tag as far as I am aware, beyond what I already suggested.  Only keeping your files in 1 location is fine, until the day that 1 location dies (you have to format, you lose your device, you accidentally drop it in your pint etc etc).  It’s a lot easier to keep a backup than it is to re-rip (or re-download) everything.  I don’t know about you, but I would want the tracks on my computer to be tagged correctly.

As for ways to get more disc space - there are a lot.  Add an extra drive to your tower (or upgrade the one you have), portable USB, desktop USB, flash drive, dvd, mp3 cd etc etc all of which are relatively inexpensive.  When you say you have a lot of music, how big are we talking?  Because I’ve learned through experience that it’s subjective.  Once person might think 8GB is a lot, another (a lot of people here including myself, for example) might think 8GB is nothing.

thanks.  all good points.  having a backup is a good idea.  But I think doing weekly backups from the player to my hard drive is adequate, rather than keeping everything in sync all the time. 

As far as choosing modes goes, I think that being able to tag the files directly on the player is a plus… and I see no drawback to the MSC mode, at least not yet.  So I switched to it and I’ll stck with that for now.  I did reformat the player and re-copy everything over after I switched modes, and it worked just fine.

thanks for all your help.

Keeping a copy of your music archived really is necessary–computers and players have a habit of breaking down when you don’t have a copy of your music/drives around.  Do you really want to have to repurchase/relocate your music, and possibly having to re-rip it?

And the nice thing is, the price of external portable hard drives has really come down, and there are sales of them often.  frys.com is a nice source in the U.S.–they have a sleek 500GB portable hard drive (a Signature Mini from Hitachi) available for $70 right now, and you sometimes can find lower prices.  Black Friday this past year had some great sales on external portable hard drives.

If your music archive and the work you put into it, means a great deal to you, it’s not a good idea to chose just one storage location, especially when this location is also the one that is “on active duty”.

I’d follow the advice and backup your files on another medium, like a DVD or an external HDD (disk space is cheap nowadays). Both methods have their downsides: the longterm archival ability of DVDs and Cds is … questionable at best and you can’t work on those files any longer while a HDD might simply die on you without any warning at all (been there…). But any backup you use, doubles your chances to keep your music library intact and spares you a lot of work if your mp3-player gets lost or destroyed or simply fails – which it will … eventually.