Synchronize files question

I know others have posted about this but I’m not sure what the answer is.  I’ve used my clip for audible and overdrive books since I got it when it first came out.  I’ve had no problems since they fixed the limitation on mp3 length.  For the first time, I received a message when I tried to play a book saying that I had to sync the files before they would play.  This happened on both overdrive and audible.  Does anyone have any idea what’s going on?  I’ve never had to use windows media player with the clip before and I don’t want to now if it’s avoidable.

Same story - Suddenly get message on Sansa Clip “Synchronize ato continue your music subscription”.  Whose message is this?  If it is from Sansa - then what triggered it?  I am loading in books or music from  CDs that I have or have borrowed from library to listen to.

New_at_MP3 / Eric

The message “synchronize to continue your music subscription” is the most general fault message for any one of many possibilities regarding WMDRM (Windows Media Digital Rights Management).

The Clip is reporting that something is amiss with the DRM system.

If you are ripping from CD, the issue is that copy protection was enabled while transferring the file, and there’s a mismatch in the file data, triggering the message.  It can be the license on the device, the “leaf license” that is part of the file itself, or the secure clock that is synchronized between your Clip, and the PC that transferred the data.

If you have simply transferred a CD, resynchronize with Windows Media Player, or manually delete and retransfer the file.

If the file is a subscription file from Overdrive, NetLibrary, Audible, Rhapsody, Napster, or any similar service, resynchronization with the particular client will fix (hopefully) the situation; retransfer a file or two to refresh the licenses. 

And don’t forget the big two: Update your firmware to the latest 1.01.29 version first!  This will not erase your music, but there are patches in the firmware to help with the “synchronize” error message. Format and reload is the “nuclear option” after this, as everything is refreshed.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

I’m having a similar problem with books borrowed from my library via Overdrive.  I can download and transfer all tracks just fine.  I can listen to two tracks before I receive the “Synchronize to continue your music subscription” message.  I’ve tried “retransfering” the tracks but I still receive the dreaded synchronize message.  The only thing that works, thusfar, is to reformat the player and reload the books.  However, I can still only listen to two tracks before the message pops up again.  BTW, I’m running with the latest-and-greatest firmware (01.01.29A) and I don’t have this problem with my Creative MuVo T200. 

Any suggestions???

Use the devices Format Command (Under Settings) to reformat the player.

Message Edited by sansafix on 07-02-2008 12:29 PM

AHA!  Thank you!!!  I was formatting via Windows not on the Clip.  I love this litle device and I’m thrilled to be back in business.

Thanks again for the tip!!

ILH

I have the same problem with the overdrive media system.  It will play the first two parts and then give the synchronize files message for the rest of the parts.  This happened after I upgraded the latest firmware.  Never happened before that.  I tried formating the device from the device menu.  Didn’t help.  Should I roll back the firmware.  If so, how do I do it?

Hi Oldgeek,

I continued to have the same problem only with books downloaded via Overdrive.  I finally gave up and now listen to Overdrive books on my MuVo T200 and books ripped from CDs on my Clip.  I prefer the Clip immensely but couldn’t get past the frustration of having to reformat after listening to two tracks.

The firmware rollback may work but, if I remember correctly, the ability to bookmark/remember your place in a track was an enhancement to the 01.01.29 firmware.  You can find instructions for installing 01.01.20 here.

Please post if you find a solution to this problem.

Well, I formated my drive again from the device menu.  I installed the older firmware.  Hooked back up again and ran the overdrive media console and downloaded a book.  Same old thing.  Won’t play after parts 1 & 2.  Same message.  Thing is, this is all of a sudden.  I’ve listened to many books on this device.  Why is it doing this now??  Frustrating.

But thanks for the suggestions.

Yup, that’s exactly what happened to me.  My Clip worked fine for a few weeks and suddenly the dreaded “resync now” message kept popping up after listening to two tracks.  I figured I was doing something wrong but it appears I’m not the only person with this problem.

Good luck!

Hi, I’ve had this problem but initially had the error where my clip suddenly wasn’t recognised by my pc.  This is how I finally overcame the problem and I seem to be back to normal:changed USB mode to MSC (my pc then recognised my clip), upgraded the firmware, (better but now I got the sync files problem), moved to my laptop that COULD see my clip in MTP mode, upgraded the rights on my music files in Windows Media Player (I couldn’t see this from my XP machine, only in vista on my laptop), resynched in MTP mode, refreshed the database and now all is fine.  I have to say that this sounds straight forward but it took me five sessions to get this far…  hope this helps.

After I rip a music CD and transfer the files to me Clip+ and click “synchronize”, my Windows Media Player loads pictures off my hard drive along with the music.  The pictures almost fill up the 4 GB memory and I have to delete them.  If I hit “stop” after the music files are synchronized, it messes up the the player.  This has happened repeatedly.  How do I prevent the picture files being loaded?

I asked for help with my Media Player loading unwanted picture files in a separate post.  A related problem is that a ripped CD file won’t show up in the files on-screen but is still in the Clip+ and none of the tracks will play.  The tracks are locked in “pause” and will not play.  I have tried deleting them one-by-one in the Clip+ but they don’t go away.

Had a problem at first with the Overdrive audiobooks not going past the first 2 chapters.  After receiving advice from this forum, I did this:

Made sure my Windows Media Player was version 10 or above (apparently the older versions won’t let the digital rights work properly).

Transferred my audiobook in MTP mode from the Settings - USB Mode.  MSC mode won’t work properly either with Overdrive audiobooks.  My music is still in MSC mode and works fine.

I didn’t have to format or anything else.  All work fine now.  Hope that helps.

@woodfin wrote:

After I rip a music CD and transfer the files to me Clip+ and click “synchronize”, my Windows Media Player loads pictures off my hard drive along with the music.  The pictures almost fill up the 4 GB memory and I have to delete them.  If I hit “stop” after the music files are synchronized, it messes up the the player.  This has happened repeatedly.  How do I prevent the picture files being loaded?

You have to change the Sync settings in WMP form Auto to Manual.