Support Board or Flame Board

Disclaimer:  If this post is off topic. I’m sorry but im just curious.

I know there are a few common types of customers who post here in the forum.    1)  Content owners who get the most of of thier product, help others, try to give feedback to better an already great product.   2)  New owners of the product with support questions looking for help.   but I always wonder if …  there is a 3rd type… that…  Owns other competing products but come here to flame a really great product? 

Do the Sansa Admins ever check for multi accounts based on IP address’s and check to see if there are trouble makers who come here to discredit sansa products for whatever childish reason?   It is the internet after all and all kinds of childish things happen.

Some 1st time posters just seem to flame vs try to seek help.   I’m not pointing this at any particular person.  Its just something that i was curious about. 

I haven’t noticed that. In my experience, forums are usually polite and mostly helpful. Newsgroups on the other hand seem to be the reverse of this and no longer hold much interest for me. Every forum will contain posts from unhappy users pretty much regardless of make.

@niko_sama wrote:

Disclaimer:  If this post is off topic. I’m sorry but im just curious.

I know there are a few common types of customers who post here in the forum.    1)  Content owners who get the most of of thier product, help others, try to give feedback to better an already great product.   2)  New owners of the product with support questions looking for help.   but I always wonder if …  there is a 3rd type… that…  Owns other competing products but come here to flame a really great product? 

Do the Sansa Admins ever check for multi accounts based on IP address’s and check to see if there are trouble makers who come here to discredit sansa products for whatever childish reason?   It is the internet after all and all kinds of childish things happen.

Some 1st time posters just seem to flame vs try to seek help.   I’m not pointing this at any particular person.  Its just something that i was curious about. 

Some probably consider me a flamer.  I do own several Sansa products, but it’s not my job to assist people where their question is answered numerous times elsewhere in the forum.  Unfortunately many people are too lazy to do any work on their own; they want their answers spoon-fed to them.

And I’m not afraid to call someone out, on a dumb post or a rude or malicious thread either.

I’m probably like many others here, that Sandisk products are not the only game in town.  While I enjoy my Sansa products, I equally enjoy products by the competition.  

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 08-05-2009 10:36 AM

fuze_owner-GB wrote:

Some probably consider me a flamer.  I do own several Sansa products, but it’s not my job to assist people where their question is answered numerous times elsewhere in the forum.  Unfortunately many people are too lazy to do any work on their own; they want their answers spoon-fed to them.

And I’m not afraid to call someone out, on a dumb post or a rude or malicious thread either.

I’m probably like many others here, that Sandisk products are not the only game in town.  While I enjoy my Sansa products, I equally enjoy products by the competition.  

LOL 

I wasn’t talking about anyone in particular…   and definately not about ppl that regularly participate in the forum.   I was noticing first time users that post stuff like “THIS PRODUCT :robotmad: ■■■■■”   etc…       I can understand if someone gets upset cause they bought a device and it doesn’t work, but most stores have exchange policies. and I have always either gotten my money back or got a product exchanged throught the dealer.   

But it seems there are ppl that just come here to flame … almost irrational complaints.    Just makes me think there are some ppl that come here for evil purposes. 

:)  Lets hope they are zume users … (only joking , it wouldn’t mater what product i put in there someone will yell at me :) 

Message Edited by microsansa on 08-05-2009 10:35 PM

@niko_sama wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

LOL 

I wasn’t talking about anyone in particular…   and definately not about ppl that regularly participate in the forum.   I was noticing first time users that post stuff like “THIS PRODUCT FXCKING ■■■■■”   etc…       I can understand if someone gets upset cause they bought a device and it doesn’t work, but most stores have exchange policies. and I have always either gotten my money back or got a product exchanged throught the dealer.   

But it seems there are ppl that just come here to flame … almost irrational complaints.    Just makes me think there are some ppl that come here for evil purposes. 

:)  Lets hope they are zume users … (only joking , it wouldn’t mater what product i put in there someone will yell at me :) 

I’ll admit I’m not overly helpful on the forum, especially with subjects that already have multiple threads.  It’s amazing how quickly these morons that start trash talking the product would go away, if no-one would respond to them.  At this point, I’m pretty good at ignoring idiots.

No, I knew you weren’t pin-pointing a certain individual.

Sandisk is pretty liberal on this forum; meaning they let a ton of ■■■■ posts slide.  There are some forums that I participate in that even if you mention a competitor for comparison purposes only, you will either get banned or the post will immediately cease to exist.

But, since it is Sandisk’s forum, they can control how permissive or restrictive it is…

Ya’ know, when you think of it, there really haven’t been all that many “■■■■■” posts here.  Although I always am surprised when I see them.  I also am surprised when people flame in their posts rather than simply asking for help–I guess it’s the frustration getting through, often.  But even then, problems have been solved.

@miikerman wrote:
Ya’ know, when you think of it, there really haven’t been all that many “■■■■■” posts here.  Although I always am surprised when I see them.  I also am surprised when people flame in their posts rather than simply asking for help–I guess it’s the frustration getting through, often.  But even then, problems have been solved.

I’ve seen it increase some.  Especially some first posters wanting an immediate solution to their problem; and if the “correct” answer isn’t delivered… the expletives start flowing…

I think some new visitors assume that SanDisk personnel themselves respond to all forum inquiries, and don’t realize that it’s typically other users trying to be helpful.  I can understand the frustration, though (you should see me with Windows or routers!), but, of course, it can just get in the way.

You’re right, some do assume that their post will be immediately answered- this is evident with some, shall we say, frustrated posts coming from folks with only one or two posts so far.

Many do not know that rapid help is only a phone call away, as long as it’s during normal business hours.

We try to allow a free exchange of opinions and advice here, rather than being Draconian.  Most often, this works out well.

µsansa

Regarding people who come on board and immediately flame … let’s remember that we’re dealing with the general public, here.  ;)  Normally there’d be a natural filter in that people wouldn’t think to come to a user forum looking for support from a company, but consider that if you go to sansa.com, and click on the “support” button, you see two new buttons:

1. “knowledgebase” - which is non-interactive, doesn’t tell people what to do if their Sansas get hot, etc.

and

1. “sansa forum” - which, tah dah, brings them right to us!  With no statement that they won’t be getting immediate support from SanDisk employees, here.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 08-06-2009 08:13 AM

It actually hasn’t been as bad as some other sites I’ve visited.  I just assume these 1st post slams come from frustrated users that have already given up and just want some place to vent.  I can understand that – some people got lemons.  I got 3 good Clips and haven’t had any problems.  You tend to only hear from the crowd with complaints instead of all of us that haven’t had any problems.  Thanx for the 3 Clips, SanDisk.  :slight_smile:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Living as close as I do to San Francisco, the term ‘flamer’ has an entirely different context here! :dizzy_face:

Although they do like to call people ‘out’ too . . . so maybe it’s not so different after all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Some random comments – that may even be of some use, should anyone at Sansa take the time to read, consider, and grasp what I’m saying – from someone who owns multiple players.

First, a rough inventory – I have many Sansas – Clips V1/V2 (1/2/4/8 GB), c200 V1 (2GB), e200 V1/V2 (4/8GB), Express (1GB), and my wife has a View (16GB).  I also have a couple of Zunes (Gen 1/2 hard drive), and my wife has an Ipod (Gen 5 hard drive).

My least favorite is the Ipod.  It’s also the only one I’ve had to repair (not counting cleaning the spinwheel on an e200 that got pushed past the MTBF limit playing “Bubbles”).  IMO the Ipod… well, it just seems kinda fragile to me.  The Sansas and Zunes seem solid, robust, strong, but the Ipod seems… hard to come up with a word to describe the impression without sounding snarky.  It seems rather dainty, especially compared to the Zunes and Sansas.

My least favorte software… it’s a tossup between Itunes (gag), the Zune program (retch), and the Sansa Media Converter (puke).

If you put me in a lifeboat with those three programs, a gun, and one bullet, I’d use the bullet to hijack an aircraft carrier and then order the captain to sink the lifeboat before those programs could escape.

I f’n HATE those programs.  They are EVIL.

What mitigates the evilhood somewhat is that I can use Rockbox with the Sansas and therefore completely avoid having to go near the vile SMC program – and, have actually usable video display on my Sansas. The native video display… there’s no polite way to put it.  It just plain ■■■■■.  It’s crude, it’s rude, it lacks even the barest of necessary functionality – the ability to slew to a specific time point, the ability to pause and resume (bookmarking), etc. And, it requires the use of oddball codecs that are NOT supported other than via the evil SMC program.

With Rockbox, any of a variety of open source apps will nicely convert videos – and, when viewing them, you can slew to a time marker, and, you can pause and resume later on.

Without Rockbox, video management is literally worthless on my Sansas, other than to show off a demo clip and say “look, a tiny video” – which gets old in a hurry.

I eagerly await the “RTM” version of “V2” Rockbox so that I’ll be able to view videos on ALL of my e200 Sansas.

Now, that said, the Zunes beat the bloody hell out of ALL comers in terms of video managment.  Big, beautiful display, good bookmarking/slewing, and tolerable CODEC handling.  There ARE serious shortcomings, not the least of which is the mandatory use of the evil Zune.exe program – but, the beautiful video display quality compensates enough for me to tolerate the crude obnoxious PITA managment app.

The Zunes stink, though – compared to the Sansa Clip – when working with Audiobook and Podcast content.  NOTHING beats the Clip in that realm.  A tiny, reliable player – can lose two of them in my shirt pocket – holding WEEKS of audiobooks and podcasts – with decent handling (bookmarking/pause-resume, etc.)

Using this sort of content on the Zunes is nothing short of painful.  It’s simply NO CONTEST up against the (deceptively!) modest Sansa Clip.

As you can see, I’ve found NO “single solution player” – something with the video goodness of the Zunes, the audiobook and podcast features of the Clip (not to mention the price and form-factor benefits of the Sansas).

In my opinion Sansa could easily improve their marketshare dramatically by performing some relatively minor tweaks to their firmware.  The needed changes are obvious.  Even if they DON’T implement folder browsing, people would buy 'em hand over fist if they actually made the video USABLE (without people needing to find, install, configure, and LEARN a third party firmware).

A larger LCD (and, the more expensive type used in the Zunes, which is non-directional – can be viewed from any angle, without having the image go all wonky if turned in one direction) would also help – but, unless they make the firmware USABLE even the world’s fanciest display hardware won’t help at all.

There’s my longwinded free advice.  I think it’s GOOD advice, and if followed, will result in the sales of many more players than you’re moving now.  Just tweak the firmware to allow people to USE the players for video – and to do so WITHOUT needing proprietary software.  Then, slipstream in an upgraded (non-directional) LCD, and you’ll own the world.

For what it’s worth, I only used the Sansa Media Converter a couple of times before moving on to other video conversion programs.  This isn’t related to whether you use Rockbox or not.  There are plenty of programs out there (as PickMorel pointed out) that will convert to the formats that the regular Sansa firmwares support.  I don’t know about the other models, but the Sansa Connect is very happy with a pretty standard MP4 format.

Actually after visiting another forum for a netbook computer i bought …  i have to say…  this site is well managed and user friendly.   The new site is more of a zoo, and …  mods are definately not professional.  

I understand some ppl getting upset over a product not working.  Hope if they are reading this. that they will realize the Sansa Clip is an awesome product,  to be patient and I’m sure whatever issue they are having will get worked out .  

Did somebody say flame?  Lemme grab the suit!

Never had the pleasure of jumping from a fixed-wing aircraft.  Truth be told, several jumpers told me they felt safer jumping from their birds than my habit of hopping from the UH1H Super Huey.

Not very much fire activity on the board here, glad to say.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Bob, is that you in that picture?  I always pictured you with a big smile on your face.

@pickmorel wrote:

Some random comments – that may even be of some use, should anyone at Sansa take the time to read, consider, and grasp what I’m saying – from someone who owns multiple players.

First, a rough inventory – I have many Sansas – Clips V1/V2 (1/2/4/8 GB), c200 V1 (2GB), e200 V1/V2 (4/8GB), Express (1GB), and my wife has a View (16GB).  I also have a couple of Zunes (Gen 1/2 hard drive), and my wife has an Ipod (Gen 5 hard drive).

My least favorite is the Ipod.  It’s also the only one I’ve had to repair (not counting cleaning the spinwheel on an e200 that got pushed past the MTBF limit playing “Bubbles”).  IMO the Ipod… well, it just seems kinda fragile to me.  The Sansas and Zunes seem solid, robust, strong, but the Ipod seems… hard to come up with a word to describe the impression without sounding snarky.  It seems rather dainty, especially compared to the Zunes and Sansas.

My least favorte software… it’s a tossup between Itunes (gag), the Zune program (retch), and the Sansa Media Converter (puke).

If you put me in a lifeboat with those three programs, a gun, and one bullet, I’d use the bullet to hijack an aircraft carrier and then order the captain to sink the lifeboat before those programs could escape.

I f’n HATE those programs.  They are EVIL.

What mitigates the evilhood somewhat is that I can use Rockbox with the Sansas and therefore completely avoid having to go near the vile SMC program – and, have actually usable video display on my Sansas. The native video display… there’s no polite way to put it.  It just plain ■■■■■.  It’s crude, it’s rude, it lacks even the barest of necessary functionality – the ability to slew to a specific time point, the ability to pause and resume (bookmarking), etc. And, it requires the use of oddball codecs that are NOT supported other than via the evil SMC program.

With Rockbox, any of a variety of open source apps will nicely convert videos – and, when viewing them, you can slew to a time marker, and, you can pause and resume later on.

Without Rockbox, video management is literally worthless on my Sansas, other than to show off a demo clip and say “look, a tiny video” – which gets old in a hurry.

I eagerly await the “RTM” version of “V2” Rockbox so that I’ll be able to view videos on ALL of my e200 Sansas.

Now, that said, the Zunes beat the bloody hell out of ALL comers in terms of video managment.  Big, beautiful display, good bookmarking/slewing, and tolerable CODEC handling.  There ARE serious shortcomings, not the least of which is the mandatory use of the evil Zune.exe program – but, the beautiful video display quality compensates enough for me to tolerate the crude obnoxious PITA managment app.

The Zunes stink, though – compared to the Sansa Clip – when working with Audiobook and Podcast content.  NOTHING beats the Clip in that realm.  A tiny, reliable player – can lose two of them in my shirt pocket – holding WEEKS of audiobooks and podcasts – with decent handling (bookmarking/pause-resume, etc.)

Using this sort of content on the Zunes is nothing short of painful.  It’s simply NO CONTEST up against the (deceptively!) modest Sansa Clip.

As you can see, I’ve found NO “single solution player” – something with the video goodness of the Zunes, the audiobook and podcast features of the Clip (not to mention the price and form-factor benefits of the Sansas).

In my opinion Sansa could easily improve their marketshare dramatically by performing some relatively minor tweaks to their firmware.  The needed changes are obvious.  Even if they DON’T implement folder browsing, people would buy 'em hand over fist if they actually made the video USABLE (without people needing to find, install, configure, and LEARN a third party firmware).

A larger LCD (and, the more expensive type used in the Zunes, which is non-directional – can be viewed from any angle, without having the image go all wonky if turned in one direction) would also help – but, unless they make the firmware USABLE even the world’s fanciest display hardware won’t help at all.

There’s my longwinded free advice.  I think it’s GOOD advice, and if followed, will result in the sales of many more players than you’re moving now.  Just tweak the firmware to allow people to USE the players for video – and to do so WITHOUT needing proprietary software.  Then, slipstream in an upgraded (non-directional) LCD, and you’ll own the world.

I have multiple players-- probably more than you’ve listed and every single manufacturer has pros and cons.  And every single user likes different things.  It’s funny, some of the things you detest, I adore!  So, as the old saying goes…“You can’t please 'em all”, certainly applies with Digital Media Players.

@promisedplanet wrote:
Bob, is that you in that picture?  I always pictured you with a big smile on your face.

You know, come to think of it, my wife and daughters thought it was me in the photo, it’s a very close resemblance (including the grin). 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: