Solutions to Apparent Mac-Related Bugs - Thread 1

No one is to blame on this issue. The appledouble is generated by Mac as a fork for files. Meaning it contains extra information about the file that the MAC OS needed. It is set to create this on default and a behaviour that not unless MAC feels that it will not conflict on other MAC things if disabled. MP3 player is set to read any files when the extension name is .mp3 or .wma regardless of the information contained. It will just show and skip the fault file if not a valid audio file. If sansa is to make a filter that will ignore the ._ files, then you are also in danger of ignoring the valid files (what if I want my other files named as ._planet of the apes.mp3). This is a total revamp of how the player will handle filenaming on the player itself.

Note… Even a non-sansa windows based player compatible with mac will show the ._ file due to the EXTENSION NAME WHICH IS MP3 OR WMA.

My suggestion is, if you don’t want to have troubles on wasting time removing those files from the sansa, you have several options:

1.Search for the applescript app also called dot_clean. This is not the terminal command version. You’ll just click the app while the sansa window is open and it will ask you if you want to proceed.

1. Buy a screenless clueless ipod player having the same size.

2. Use a windows PC.

Never blame either of the tow company… They never did what you want in the first place for a reason. A company like Apple and SanDisk will not just give in to a request if they know it will lessen the stability of the device. It needs further research for them to come up with having stability and your requested fix or feature/function.

PS to all:

We are here to help not blame anyone in such scenarios that we feel lacks one and the other. Forums sites should be this way. There’s no point in arguing if it will not lead us to a valid or fastest solution. :slight_smile:

Message Edited by hckrs2k3 on 08-09-2010 11:43 AM

Note, if you’re dead-set on a Shuffle 2nd Generation, that replacement battery kits (with instructions and tools) are readily available, at a relatively low cost (I saw one from an Internet store for $15).  Having said that, while a recently-manufactured player would be ideal, I don’t know how much the battery in a player might degrade from sitting on a shelf for a few years–but definitely something to note, as stated above.

hckrs2k3:  Kopymac seemed like a good 4th option as well, assuming that it’s been done well.  But, then, I’m a PC owner and haven’t checked it out. 

Thanks for your explanation from the Mac innerworkings angle–interesting.  Too bad the Mac OS doesn’t detect when it’s sending files to a non-Mac device, so the extra files don’t get transferred (but I don’t know if that sort of detection is possible at this point). 

There are plenty of ways to get around this. VirtualBox is sometimes a little buggy, at least with the Mac version, but it is free. Ubuntu is not as user friendly as Mac OS or Windows, but it too is free. Using the latest version of VirtualBox and an old CD of Ubuntu 8.10, I was able to transfer files from my iTunes backup DVD to my Clip+ without any errors.

The Mac has been leaving little DOS viewable “droppings” forever. I had issues with 3.5 floppies between Mac OS 9, and Windows. Apple ain’t gonna fix that, since it isn’t really broken.

Wanting a player with a clip makes perfect sense to me, but does limit things. I have never used my Clip+, and not actually used the clip.

If you have an Intel Mac with OS X 10.5+, then you can use a copy of Windows in many ways: BootCamp, VirtualBox, Parallels, or VMWare Fusion. Looked at the entire thread and did not see what Mac you have. Also, Milkerman, sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of being rude. Truth is, it was Tapeworm. If you aren’t going to have any patience with people, don’t reply to posts.

Us Mac users are rather accustomed to having things just work. Also, there is a growing number of newbies to the Mac. This is my second Mac, with many a PC in between my 2000 iMac and this 2007 iMac. I am no expert, to this day. The folks on many of the Apple forums are worse than this forum could ever be. Sure, ask for Sansa help on a Mac forum. They will tell you to pitch the Sansa and get an iPod.

Milkerman, I should have spent a little extra, and got the Slot Radio Player. When the Clip+ came along with Slot Radio capability, I got one. Sadly, I am still waiting for Slot Radio to impress me. The Slot Radio screen is something I could probably see. For the record, the FM radio is not very good with the Clip+. I have a long headphone cord too.

For an audio only device, the Clip+ is a good value. The iPod Nano costs too much and does too much for me. And it doesn’t even have a clip!

I must admit, I still don’t really get the Mac issue here.  Was the Clip never directly compatible with a Mac for drag and drop, and someone just goofed on the Clip manual instructions, never checking them and the resultant playability out?  Pretty big goof, if so.  Or is it just some Apple computers and/or OSs? 

Too bad, regardless, as it adds one more step with file transfers to the Clip–although it doesn’t sound like a big one, with the Kopymac or other software, especially if one is used to having to use iTunes.  I guess I would be perturbed, but resigned and then content enough, especially with the Clip players’ benefits (like a screen!  but also the great expandability of the Clip±-I’m amazed at what I have, now, in this small player, with a 16GB microSD card inserted).

And, some Mac users wildly Mac-centric?  No!   ;)   For the record, my Clips always have worked with my PCs right out of the box, “just like Mac products,” and never have caused any issue.  The only “glitch” was my learning about the 2 USB connection modes (even though I could have just left things on autopilot in that regard).  And what I dearly like is, I don’t need any special software with the Clips.

I’ve never been drawn to the Slot Radio, but I read a lot of people really liking it.  I guess if you’re a radio sort (I’m more CDs), it could be a big draw.  And when I use the radio, I’ve been fortunate with the Clip, as I get great reception, both in and outside, in a congested urban area.

Although probably not for you, you might want to keep your eye out for the alternative Rockbox firmware/software for the Clip, being developed and “finalized,” my best guess is, now.  It can be a bit daunting at first, at it offers lots of customization options.  But a great benefit of it is, you can customize the player screen to your liking, either designing a screen of your own liking or loading a screen design someone else did up.  This includes the size of the screen text, and so you can increase that as you might want or need, to double or triple the current size.  Rockbox also has enhanced playability for those with limited or no sight, as well as hearing impairments–good to see, in this electronics age.  You really do need to read the Rockbox manual, though, to learn all the options (as well as the steps to put Rockbox on your player–not difficult to do, but its own system).

Take care–and get that player out of the drawer.   :wink:

wplj42 wrote:

Also, Milkerman, sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of being rude. Truth is, it was Tapeworm. If you aren’t going to have any patience with people, don’t reply to posts.

Whoa there, pardner!

It’s obvious there’s a whole lot o’ misunderstandin’ goin on here. Both you and MaxBuck (the OP) took my reply to him wayyyy wrong. It was not meant as a “juvenille put-down” as he said, nor was I expressing “a lack of patience” or “going on the attack to a Mac user”. Far from it.

I was merely asking if he ( MaxBuck ) did not find the information in the other (linked to) post useful? The cause of what he was experiencing was explained by someone who is well familiar with both Macs and Sansa players (drlucky) and 2 alternative methods for resolving the problem were given by him as well. An easy one (Kopymac) and a more technical, or complicated one (Terminal). Even drlucky said himself in that thread “kopymac is probably the easiest way but if you are comfortable with terminal you can try this as well.” It’s not my fault if drlucky forgot to type in a space, rendering his advice unusable (pointed out by njd ).

I was simply asking what was wrong with using the simple method of solving the problem. That same issue has been discussed here many times before and kopymac seems to be an apporpriate (and working) solution, so why not use it? That’s all I was saying. 

Geesh! Some people need to quit reading things that don’t exist into what others say!

I could not get copymac to work. Not sure why, but the instructions are very limited. I am not at all comfortable with Terminal in Mac OS X or Linux. Nor, would I be comfortable with Apple Script. That isn’t to imply, it won’t work. I don’t know why Mac OS does what it does, but as I mentioned, it did so 10 years ago, in my experience.

Milkerman, I am a radio guy. It doesn’t offend me that I cannot have access to the Slot Radio files, although it would be nice. I understand that is part of how they can sell 500 or 1,000 songs for such a low price. To the best of my knowledge, it is impossible to get a list of the songs, which is silly. I wouldn’t purchase a CD without knowing what is on it.

Tapeworm … The unspoken word is always subject to misinterpretation. While I may have mistaken your comments, the EASY button, put the whole thing over the top. I found it offensive, while you may have figured it was being *cute*.

As for the OP, there are solutions. I have never seen a podcast that wasn’t in MP3 format. Yes, the Clip+ is not going to handle AAC files. iTunes can very simply convert AAC files to MP3. There are other programs that will convert other (non-iTunes) files. Some free, some not. There is also a plug-in for iTunes and QuickTime to play OGG files. I am not sure about WMA files. iTunes can handle WAV though.

Sorry to hear about Kopymac.  I had looked at it briefly and only saw screenshots posted.  It looked like you started it up, attached your device to your computer, and then set the destination in the program (if not set previously) and then dragged and dropped files (or folders) to the upper pane.  Unfortunately, as I don’t have a Mac, I couldn’t try it out–was really curious as to how easy or not it is.  The concept, tho, seems easy enough–just stop certain similarly-named files from transferring.

I agree as to the Slot Radio cards–I’d want to know the contents, especially if non-returnable!

And isn’t it odd about the Clips not playing aac files.  I know that SanDisk would have to pay a separate license fee to include an aac decoder, but I would think that this would be a good investment, as a way to try to capture over iPod users not happy with the Shuffles.  But what do I know–I’m not a marketing dude.  And matters may change next month, with rumors of a touchscreen Shuffle–has Apple finally seen the light and decided that a screen is a good thing?   :wink:

I am not surprised with the lack of support for AAC files. That is an Apple thing. I guess there are some players besides the iPod that support it. The Sansa players are more flexible, and AAC is not necessarily the perfect format. I have no experience with FLAC, but OGG is probably just as good if not better than both MP3 and AAC.

Looks like the Zune HD can handle AAC files, at least some. But it is Windows only, requiring a software download. Please! Guess I need to give Sansa overall credit for making a middle of the road player for all OSes.

I am guessing Kopymac works, and I am either not doing something, or not doing it correctly.

I will have to see if OGG files leave Mac droppings on the Clip+.

Where, oh where, did you hear of a touchscreen Shuffle???

Apple traditionally announces new iPods in September (December holiday season, anyone?).  Sightings recently have been made of an iPod Touch shell with a front hole, perfectly placed for a front-facing camera (which then could support Apple’s new FaceTalk feature).  And rumors generally start floating around now as to what might issue–one of the rumors is a touchscreen Shuffle.  It makes sense, if you think about it, and gets rid of the Shuffle’s current poor (in my opinion) user interface design–think a Clip with the screen the size of the player, and controls on the screen (or pressure sensitive spots on the top, bottom and sides, a design iRiver currently has).  It certainly would solve your readability issue!

But only time will tell–probably by mid-September. 

@tapeworm wrote:

MaxBuck (the OP) took my reply to him wayyyy wrong. It was not meant as a “juvenille put-down” as he said, nor was I expressing “a lack of patience” or “going on the attack to a Mac user”. Far from it … 

Geesh! Some people need to quit reading things that don’t exist into what others say!

"You didn’t benefit from the information on this issue in this thread? The cause _plus _the fix was given. I know you read it because you responded to it. Just because you couldn’t make the complicated (terminal) procedure work, did that somehow prohibit you from using the 

???" 

You’re claiming this quoted response was not condescending? Man, do you give yourself a break, or what?  Self-awareness can be a wonderful thing, or so I’ve heard.

I’m sure Mac-heads can be insufferable - personally, I live half my life in the Vista world and half in the OSX world. Both worlds have “gurus” who act as though they have the keys to the Kingdom that they’ll let you have if you talk pretty enough to them. It’s all a pile of *%$# to me.  I’m just trying to figure out how to get a tool to work.  Some of you have helped me figure out the Clip+ and how best to make it work with the Mac.  To all of you - thanks.

The other rumor mill is August for an Apple “Event.” Perhaps the 17th. I like the looks of the Slot Radio Player, non-plastic and all. To me, that would make a better “touch” product. Small is nice, but the Clip/Clip+ is a wee bit too small. As for the Shuffle currently, the VoiceOver feature allows you to look with your ears. The Alex voice in Mac OS X is very good. I don’t like how the Shuffle looks like a cigarette lighter. HA!

Ah, the season for Apple rumors.  Actually, that’s getting to be more and more a 24/7/365 thing …

I think we need a SanDisk rumor.  Like, how about the full-body touchcreen Clip+ that’s being worked on now?

;) 

Miikerman wrote:

I think we need a SanDisk rumor.  Like, how about the full-body touchcreen Clip+ that’s being worked on now?

;) 

Must be that SansaTap that SanDisk registered for a trademark name a year or so ago.

@miikerman wrote:

hckrs2k3:  Kopymac seemed like a good 4th option as well, assuming that it’s been done well.  But, then, I’m a PC owner and haven’t checked it out. 

Thanks for your explanation from the Mac innerworkings angle–interesting.  Too bad the Mac OS doesn’t detect when it’s sending files to a non-Mac device, so the extra files don’t get transferred (but I don’t know if that sort of detection is possible at this point). 

Seems to be a valid solution to add. This should be number 4. :::

No one is to blame on this issue. The appledouble is generated by Mac as a fork for files. Meaning it contains extra information about the file that the MAC OS needed. It is set to create this on default and a behaviour that not unless MAC feels that it will not conflict on other MAC things if disabled. MP3 player is set to read any files when the extension name is .mp3 or .wma regardless of the information contained. It will just show and skip the fault file if not a valid audio file. If sansa is to make a filter that will ignore the ._ files, then you are also in danger of ignoring the valid files (what if I want my other files named as ._planet of the apes.mp3). This is a total revamp of how the player will handle filenaming on the player itself.

Note… Even a non-sansa windows based player compatible with mac will show the ._ file due to the EXTENSION NAME WHICH IS MP3 OR WMA.

My suggestion is, if you don’t want to have troubles on wasting time removing those files from the sansa, you have several options:

1.Search for the applescript app also called dot_clean. This is not the terminal command version. You’ll just click the app while the sansa window is open and it will ask you if you want to proceed.

2. Use a windows PC.

4. Kopymac.

Never blame either of the two company… They never did what you want in the first place for a reason.

A company like Apple and SanDisk will not just give in to a request if they know it will lessen the stability of the device. It needs further research for them to come up with having stability and your requested fix or feature/function.

PS to all:

We are here to help and not blame anyone in such scenarios that we feel lacks one and the other. Forums sites should be this way. There’s no point in arguing if it will not lead us to a valid or fastest solution.

hckrs2k3 wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Seems to be a valid solution to add. This should be number 4. :::

1. Use a windows PC.

4. Kopymac.

Never blame either of the two company… They never did what you want in the first place for a reason.

A company like Apple and SanDisk will not just give in to a request if they know it will lessen the stability of the device. It needs further research for them to come up with having stability and your requested fix or feature/function.

PS to all:

We are here to help and not blame anyone in such scenarios that we feel lacks one and the other. Forums sites should be this way. There’s no point in arguing if it will not lead us to a valid or fastest solution.

I seem to be experiencing Déjà vu.

@Tapeworm

-It’s a deliberate attempt to re-write my previous post adding Miikerman’s suggestion.

I believe you’re referring to this::: - YouTube

Just killing time… :smiley:

The previous post, which puzzled me too, mentions the problem occurring with MP3 and/or WMA. Well, I converted my iTunes library yesterday, to OGG. Transfered everything to my Clip+, and don’t see anything out of the ordinary. So, that seems to be one of many solutions for me. OGG files, as I mentioned, can be played in iTunes or Quicktime on the Mac, by adding a plug-in. VLC Media Player can them as well. Audacity will output files in OGG. Max will convert files to OGG.

The Clip+ is a bit too small, even if the screen took up the majority of the player. I would be interested in the Slot Radio Player, except it can only advance tracks.

Sure has been a rash of this Mac . _ stuff plaguing people here lately . . .

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&message.id=6520#M6520