Sleep settings reset

Hi,

my Clip+ repeatedly switches the sleep timer (set in Settings > System Settings > Sleep) off. I could not yet figure out when and why this occurs. Can you confirm this bug?

The Clip+ defaults to <off> when the sleep function is selected.  To use the sleep timer, scroll to your desired interval, then press the center “select” button.

Having the previous time display would lead to confusion.  Having the Clip+ shut off at the selected time, if the user was simply looking at the function settings, could be mistaken for a problem with the device.

I would like a sleep timer active indication in the status line, but that’s my preference.

µsansa

I’ve done some more testing, and it now appears to me that the sleep settings are reset to “Off” if the player was switched off–be it automatically by the sleep timer or manually by the user.

In my view, this is a bit confusing, since the sleep timeout is a *setting* and therefore should persist until the user changes it explicitly.

Yes, sleep has been configured this way, as it’s the least confusing.  Manually turning the Clip+ off cancels the sleep function.  If it did not, what would we do when the Clip+ suddenly powers off the next time you use it?

Bob  :wink:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Yes, sleep has been configured this way, as it’s the least confusing.  Manually turning the Clip+ off cancels the sleep function.  If it did not, what would we do when the Clip+ suddenly powers off the next time you use it?

Okay, I can see that logic, but for those of us who are accostomed to being occasionally confused, is there a work-around which would allow the sleep timer setting to be maintained through power-down?

Den

@den wrote:

Okay, I can see that logic, but for those of us who are accostomed to being occasionally confused, is there a work-around which would allow the sleep timer setting to be maintained through power-down?

Den

No.

@den wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Den

For what its worth, there is such an option in rockbox, but I don’t think it is possible using the sandisk software.

I am afraid this makes no sense at all.  If I set the player up to have a sleep function then I expect it to have a sleep function.  When it resets some of the settings every time I switch off  THEN I am confused!

In practice you listen to the player and eventually it switches off.  

However if you are not quite asleep and still want to listen some more, you switch the player back on.  But on the Sansa Clip+ you then have to navigate through all the menu’s and re-enable the sleep function, by which time you are fully awake again.  A recipe for insomnia!!

In practice you don’t get around to resetting the sleep function and so then the player runs the battery flat and/or wakes you up in the middle of  night.  REALLY annoying!!

As I bought this player specifically for this purpose, it has been a complete waste of money!  This is the fourth MP3 player I have owned and the ONLY ONE with this daft configuration.

Please rethink!

Gavin

Most TVs have a sleep timer on then these days too, and they work exactly the same. You have to set it each time you want to to shut off after a period of time.

I also find it frustrating to have the timer function erased after shutdown. I had an older Creative Zen that had this function, but the dog ate it. I’ve tried a few Creative EZ300 players that have this function but thet don’t last too long before failure, and the screen always stays on at a minimum setting.

from the RockBox manual  

8.6.3  Sleep Timer

The Sleep Timer powers off your player after a given time, whether playing or not.

Sleep Timer: Shown when the Sleep Timer is inactive, it can be set from Off to 5 hours in 5 minute steps. While the Sleep Timer is reset on boot, the value selected is retained and will be used as the default from then on. Cancel Sleep Timer (h:mm)

: Shown when the Sleep Timer is active, this option disables the current Sleep Timer.

Start Sleep Timer On Boot: If set, a Sleep Timer will be initiated when the device starts.

Restart Sleep Timer On Keypress: If set, when a Sleep Timer is active and a key is pressed, the Sleep Timer will be restarted with the initial duration.

And your point is?

Just because Rockbox does it, doesn’t mean it’s going to happen with the original firmware. There’s a lot of features, tweaks, settings, options, bells & whistles and so forth that Rockbox offers that you will never see with the Sandisk firmware.

And as, MSCOFF, that may be why you may want to install Rockbox on your player, if the feature is important to you. Isn’t choice great? :slight_smile:

There is a big difference with TV.  You have to have your eyes open to watch it.  If your eyes are shut then you don’t mind it switching off.

With radio/music you can be almost semi-concious and still be listening.

Also TV’s are usually mains power and so no worries about running the battery flat.

Finally, it occurred to me that if careful thought had been applied to this and the conclusion reached that most people want to enable the sleep timer on a one-off basis…   then you wouldn’t bury the feature deep in the player set up menu’s.  Conversely if the feature is positioned in the menu’s as a configuration option, then it is not something you expect to re-set on daily basis.

I think I will experiment with the Rockbox option!

@gerob76 wrote:

There is a big difference with TV.  You have to have your eyes open to watch it.  If your eyes are shut then you don’t mind it switching off.

With radio/music you can be almost semi-concious and still be listening.

I do this in front of my TV every night so no, there’s not a big difference. :laughing:

@tapeworm wrote:

I do this in front of my TV every night so no, there’s not a big difference. :laughing:

Made me LOL.  Thanks for saying it.  I was thinking the same thing.