Signup to Rhapsody required for all features to work?

I just bought the Clip+. There’s an insert from Rhapsody which states:

"Install the Rhapsody software on your PC and create an account.

Creating an account is the only way to activate all of the features on your new Sandisk Sansa Clip+."

Can someone let me know if this is true?

If this is the only way I can use all the features, I will be sending it back.

Also, I searched the website for contact information and couldn’t find any. Live chat isn’t working & there’s no telephone number.

Not a very encouraging start.

Thanks,

Eugene

Rhapsody only is needed to use Rhapsody.  Skip the Rhapsody software unless you want Rhapsody–that is the only thing the software enables.

1 Like

The information in the leaflet is a wee bit cryptic.  I wish I had written it.  What they are referring to is the RhapPFS capabilities of the Sansa.

When an “account” is applied to the Sansa, meaning that it’s “authorized” using the Rhapsody 4 client, you will gain access to a handful of otherwise hidden features on the device.  There’s a new Rhapsody Channels function in the main menu, and you can add tracks from these channels to the device library, or flag subscription tracks for purchase later, via a single button click.

You can venture into a trial subscription with Rhapsody, and cancel before you are billed, easily done via the client.  You DON’T need Rhapsody to enjoy the Sansa, unlike the evil marriage of the iPod and iTunes.  In fact, Best Buy now promotes Napster (makes sense, since they bought the company) over Rhapsody.

Te wording of the leaflet makes it sound like you need Rhapsody, but this isn’t so.  In fact, you can use the Rhapsody client to manage your music, without subscribing.  It can also be used to rip your CDs and manage your PC’s music library, instead of Windows Media Player.  If you don’t have a Rhapsody account, the client runs off-line- and you CAN use it to purchase music if desired.  This mode is pretty cool.  You can listen to sample tracks too.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

hi i just got the sansa clip+ also and now realize that the installation cd is too small for my imac, what do i do, it allows me a free 30 day trial and its the only way to utilize all the features also. i did read your previous solution too.

@time4mckinney wrote:

hi i just got the sansa clip+ also and now realize that the installation cd is too small for my imac, what do i do, it allows me a free 30 day trial and its the only way to utilize all the features also. i did read your previous solution too.

The only feature that this enables you to utilize is CRhapsody. It’s like saying " the only way to realize the full potential of your new car is to use XYZ gasoline".

Sales-speak, pure & simple. If you really want to try the Rhapsody service, you can simply go to their website. They’ll give you a 14-day free trial . . . (and hope you forget to cancel it before the 14 days are up).

I know some people really like this service, but personally I’ve got better things to spend my $10 - $15 a month on. I’d rather “own” my music than pay a monthly rental fee just for the right to listen to it.

time4mckinney wrote:

The only feature that this enables you to utilize is CRhapsody. It’s like saying " the only way to realize the full potential of your new car is to use XYZ gasoline".

Sales-speak, pure & simple. If you really want to try the Rhapsody service, you can simply go to their website. They’ll give you a 14-day free trial . . . (and hope you forget to cancel it before the 14 days are up).

I know some people really like this service, but personally I’ve got better things to spend my $10 - $15 a month on. Think about it and do the math; that’s $120 - $180 a year. That’s serious coinage! I’d rather “own” my music than pay a monthly rental fee just for the right to listen to it.

1 Like

Best Buy now promotes Napster (makes sense, since they bought the company) over Rhapsody.

Well, I just purchased my Sansa Clip+ today and the Rhapsody software disk is still part of the package.

@time4mckinney wrote:

The installation CD is only   needed for the optional Rhapsody pay subscription music service (you get a free first month but then must pay).  It is not needed for the general operation of the Clip.

If you would like to try Rhapsody out, you might want to check out its website and get the software there.  (And if the Rhapsody info. that came with your Clip came with a promo code, try using that rather than the code at the website, so that you get a longer free trial period.)

thanks you are right, wording is such a gimmick!! **bleep** rhapsody! anyway makes more sense to own music. can you suggest what websites are best deal for downloading. i am new to all of this and even the basics are not basic to me. thanks.

@time4mckinney wrote:

thanks you are right, wording is such a gimmick!! **bleep** rhapsody! anyway makes more sense to own music. can you suggest what websites are best deal for downloading. i am new to all of this and even the basics are not basic to me. thanks.

Agreed.  110%. :smiley:

@time4mckinney wrote:

Do you own any CD’s? I’d start there; ripping them to .mp3 format. You can also borrow CD’s from most local libraries. You can use Windows Media Player (already on your computer) or there are a variety of other free (or low-cost) applications that will ‘rip’ (convert) them for you.

If you must download from the internet, stick with well-known sites like Amazon, E-Music or the like. Avoid limewire or other file-stealing (p2P) sites like the plague. Not only is it illegal and steals money from the artists, but you never know what kind of crapola you’re downloading.

I priced it out a while back, and assuming that Rhapsody is around for your lifetime, a subscription service actually can be a fine deal, depending on your music tastes.  Mind you, I still buy my own CDs …

Great music sources:  Amazon, eMusic (music subscription service in which you buy the tunes–can have nice “try us” offers), your own CDs.

There is a program called MelodyCan with which all popular video formats can be converted to one another. You can try to google it.

@menoj wrote:

There is a program called MelodyCan with which all popular video formats can be converted to one another. You can try to google it.

I’m trying to figure out what this has to do with Rhapsody, a music service and/or why you posted this info in a thread and on a board for a player that does not have video capability.

Smiley

Rhapsody can handle video.  When connected, the Rhapsody client is confused, recognizing the Clip+ as a Fuze , which has video capabilities.  Some users may note the presence of Video and Photos options in the sources pane of the Rhapsody client.

The two devices share an almost identical platform.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: