Short battery life

What’s the deal with the battery life on the Clip+? I’ve used two of them, and never have gotten more than seven or eight hours. The first one I had was dying after about four or five hours. Have I just had bad luck?

File type, volume level, display-on increment, and switching between files, among other factors, can affect battery life. 

I play MP3 files almost exclusively, and don’t really switch very often. What is “display-on increment?”

chief_sealth wrote:
I play MP3 files almost exclusively, and don’t really switch very often. What is “display-on increment?”

How long you have your display (or screen) set to be on before it blanks out or goes dark. Like a screen-saver setting.

chief_sealth wrote:
I play MP3 files almost exclusively, and don't really switch very often. What is "display-on increment?"

How long you have your display (or screen) set to be on before it blanks out or goes dark. Like a screen-saver setting.

I don’t think your results are typical. While the battery life isn’t as good on the Clip+ model as it was on the original clip, I don’t think your results are typical. There are many (including myself) who are getting 10-13 hours play-time. The last time I measured it, I got slightly over 11 hours and I was playing FLAC files (which consumes more power) at 70-90% volume and a moderate amount of skipping tracks (which also turns the display on consuming more power).

chief_sealth wrote:
I play MP3 files almost exclusively, and don't really switch very often. What is "display-on increment?"

I don't think your results are typical. While the battery life isn't as good on the Clip+ model as it was on the original Clip, I don't think your results are typical. There are many (including myself) who are getting 10-13 hours play-time. The last time I measured it, I got slightly over 11 hours and I was playing FLAC files (which consumes more power) at 70-90% volume and a moderate amount of skipping tracks (which also turns the display on consuming more power).

chief_sealth wrote:

While the battery life isn't as good on the Clip+ model as it was on the original Clip, I don't think your results are typical. There are many (including myself) who are getting 10-13 hours play-time. The last time I measured it, I got slightly over 11 hours and I was playing FLAC files (which consumes more power) at 70-90% volume and a moderate amount of skipping tracks (which also turns the display on consuming more power).

Tapeworm, don’t take this the wrong way but I don’t think _ your _ results are typical you when you say you get 11+ hours on your Clip+ battery between charging.  Are you employed by SanDisk and being paid to shill for them?  How can there be such a discrepancy between your results and the majority of others on this board?  I am sure there are many other Clip+ owners with this same short battery life issue who don’t bother to speak up.

I have 6-7 hours with the sansa firmware and 10-11 hours with rockbox (playing oggvorbis files).

Go figure …

The one time I measured, I was down to 46% after 8.5 hours, if I remember right…with a mixture of mp3 and wma files, min. brightness, no EQ. I didn’t go any further, because I needed to recharge the player for use at work later that day.

mlip wrote:
Tapeworm, don’t take this the wrong way but I don’t think _ your _ results are typical you when you say you get 11+ hours on your Clip+ battery between charging.  Are you employed by SanDisk and being paid to shill for them?

Maybe I’m just lucky?

And no, I’m not employed by Sandisk. I work for a living. :stuck_out_tongue:

i just got off a 12 hour flight where i listened to my clip plus the entire time. after 12 hours in the air the clip+ still had some battery left. i use MP3 mostly all 320kbps

Well, here was one user’s solution to the battery life issue…http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55164&page=2

Thanks for the reference, but that would take away one of the Clip’s most important features.

ogg_ardent,  are you having any major issues with Rockbox at this time?

Marvin_Martian wrote:
Well, here was one user’s solution to the battery life issue…http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55164&page=2

Has JK98 seen this? :stuck_out_tongue:

Tapeworm wrote:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Has JK98 seen this? :stuck_out_tongue:

Good question! :wink:

@chief_sealth wrote:
ogg_ardent,  are you having any major issues with Rockbox at this time?

not really major, but I do have playback problems with my oggs (sort of jumps) from time to time. Also the clip+ won’t charge on my charger but crashes instead with stack underrun. I have to boot the sansa firmware before plugging the charger in.

Other than that rockbox is totally stable and I’m genuinely amazed how good it is and what you can get out of this little player with it.

edit: it ■■■■■, the forum makes unwanted smilies and linefeeds …

Message Edited by ogg_ardent on 06-11-2010 02:27 AM

I decided to run my own battery tests after hearing the complaints about battery life.  Here was my test - http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&message.id=5079#M5079

I get excellent battery life out of Clip+  There are many factors which can affect battery life, but I would think 10 hours or more from a plus can be expected.

I have brightness at its lowest, backlight set to 5 secs, and generally put on an album and leave it - and I get around 6-7 hours. I only use 256 mp3’s, at moderate volumes. My Clip+ is four weeks old. I’m not particularly happy with the battery life, and the battery indicator is absurd. Once it’s down below 50% it has only about 1.5 hours remaining. Yesterday I listened to one album in the morning, about 50mins worth, and the player went from 53% to 48% battery. I listened to an album on the way home, about 70mins, and then one 8min track this morning and it was dead. I will get used to it, but it is frustrating. I am using the latest firmware btw.