Highlighted
mwr

Re: Searching by Filename

Thanks again, elias. I also just read your post in the other thread.

Do you know if other mp3 players, for example the Creative Zen, allow browsing the folders and files as well as using playlists?

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

I don't really know (I've only used the Clip), but the trend seems to be geared toward tags these days.

I too am curious. Are there any folder-based players currently in the market?

----
Auto-generate folder playlists for the Clip: AutoM3U v1.1
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

There are players that navigate this way, but I don't know if they only do that or give the user the option of that or Tag browsing. I've never had a folder-based player myself, but the tag-only Clip and Fuze work well for my needs.....granted, I don't use playlists thoughSmiley Wink
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

IIRC, some current mainstay models allow selection between tags and folders--easy to check out with Creative, Cowon, etc. (at least 1 recent Cowon model allowed this).

If Rockbox officially comes to the Clip (it's in pre-alpha status right now), it allows this. 

Actually, that brings to mind:  any player that you can put Rockbox on would give you folder view as an option.  That includes some SanDisks.  http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaFAQ  Check out Rockbox.org.

Highlighted
mwr

>The problem was the MTP mode as we discussed in another thread. My program only works with MSC mode. However, it still won't do what you want, i.e. create playlists for file names A to Z.<

I'm not clear what it was that you meant it wouldn't do, but your program did just what I want once I loaded the music in MSC mode and viewed via Playlists. It shows each folder by name and then within each folder each mp3 file by name. That's just what I wanted. Thanks so much!

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

I just thought you wanted separate lists for each letter from A to Z. I'm glad to hear that you like it the way it works. Smiley Happy
----
Highlighted

eliasf wrote:

"I just thought you wanted separate lists for each letter from A to Z."

No, that was me.  The thought was that the filename could be located much faster if there was a separate playlist for each letter.  Scrolling through a long playlist that includes all the songs on the player might take too long because of the slower scroll speed on playlists.  The separate alphabetized playlists would make jumping to, say, "Natalie Walker - Pink Neon.mp3" as simple as scrolling down to [ N ], then Natalie...  you get the idea.  If scrolling through a playlist could be sped up on the Clip (a firmware fix?) so it was as fast as scrolling through Artists, Albums, Songs, etc., then the [ A ] through [ Z ] idea might not be necessary.

Anyway, the following was on the Fuze forum.  This would change everything if Sandisk can do this for us Clip users, too...

-----------
SansaFix wrote:
Folder navigation is high on our list for enhancements next year.
-SansaFix
-----------
Highlighted
mwr

Another related nube question

Now that I have my folders and files converted to playlists via eliasf's program, can I also use some program (Windows Media Player?) to create additional playlists from the mp3 files in the various folders/playlists?
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@mp34me wrote:
Anyway, the following was on the Fuze forum.  This would change everything if Sandisk can do this for us Clip users, too...

-----------
@sansafix wrote:
Folder navigation is high on our list for enhancements next year.
-SansaFix
-----------

I don't recall ever having seen such a comment here--at least in the Clip forum.  And people have been asking/begging/cajoling for a long time, now.  Maybe it will actually happen, and with the Clip!

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Another related nube question

@mwr wrote:
Now that I have my folders and files converted to playlists via eliasf's program, can I also use some program (Windows Media Player?) to create additional playlists from the mp3 files in the various folders/playlists?

Sure you can. That's the good thing with playlists. You can reference each song from multiple playlists.

----