Searching by Filename

@mp34me wrote:
I was very disappointed to find that the Sansa player (mine’s a Clip) would not allow me to search through my music by filename.  As I’ve ripped and accumulated my songs, I’ve spent quite a bit of time making sure my titles were named as “artist - song.mp3”.  I use a very simple but tremendous little player called 1by1 for listening to music on the computer while I work, and the Folder/Filename convention it follows allows me to quickly find what I’m looking for.  Unfortunately, many songs have either missing, incomplete, or corrupted ID3 tags, so this makes the Filename mode preferable.  Editing the ID3 fields for each song is a potential solution, but is yet another lenghthy project.  I want something NOW…

Sorry if this is only a partial solution, but several programs can “repair” your tags by following your naming convention.  In particular, I’d recommend MP3Tag…which you can simply tell to fill in the Artist and Title fields by reading the filenames as you’ve formed them!  It won’t complete the other fields (e.g., Album, Year, etc.) but it’s a good start, plus the Clip will then allow you to search by artist easily!

I should add…if you don’t mind living dangerously…you could select your entire library in MP3Tag, and just let it edit all of your tags in one fell swoop!  Should be fast.

-Matt

Message Edited by sansamatt on 12-15-2008 07:12 PM