Screen Freezes wherever I disconnect USB

I bought my daughter a Clip for Christmas and I have downloaded music onto it . Every time I disconnect it from my PC it locks up. I can not get it into any other screen. Help would be appreciated.

I am having the same problem.  I bought one for my son.  We connected to the PC, got songs transferred onto the Clip, and disconnected the Clip.  When you disconnect it should say Refresh Database for a couple of seconds and then you should be able to play your songs, etc.  His is locking up on the Refresh Database screen.  The only thing that I can do to get it off of that screen is to reset the Clip by holding the power button down until it powers off.  Once you do this it loses everything that you just did but at least it’s not locked up anymore.  We have gone through this whole process probably 3 or 4 times today.  I am just wondering if there is something that I can do to stop it from locking up like that.

I have tried powering it down the hard way also. When I do that it seems to only go to the main screen and freeze.

Please try this to clean the device up and see if it will cure your problem.

1. Force device to MSC mode (slide the power button backward into HOLD mode and press-n-hold the center button while plugging in PC)
  2. Once it’s connected under MSC mode, please do a FAT16 format
  3. Unhold and unplug from PC and see if it will work again

The problem seem to be in the amount of music you’re loading before ejecting & unplugging it from the USB cord.

I was able to load 150MB of songs and unplug without any problems.  It finally froze at the “Refresh Database” screen when I loaded about 200MB and unplugged it.

Hope this helps. And I know this is a tedious process if you have a huge library of music. But at least it works.

E

*Using Windows 2000 Pro, all MP3’s.

we just talked about that… and decided youre wrong… the better approach is to load songs few at a time till you find a bad-tag song then fix it… every prob that gets posted, i try to duplicate–i aint skeered-- so i dont get caught on the mountain (ski season) or hotel w/o a fix… some i can duplicate, some not…

Message Edited by amkoas on 12-27-2007 03:06 PM

All you have to do is go to this icon: : on your desktop toolbar. click on it highlight both hardwares (one at a time) and press stop for each.:slight_smile:

MSC mode may be in one way a convenient way to port data to your Clip, but it’s far too easy to forget the etiquette required when dealing with “removable storage”.

Mounting and demounting the device can cause issues if the communication session isn’t ended properly.  Windows doesn’t always finish the file transfer in the same way, depending upon all kinds of normally ignored conditions.  Ninety per cent of the time, we can simply pop the USB connection, and all’s OK…

Especially when multiple data transfers take place, WIndows sometimes waits for the next packet of information, and metaphorically speaking, leaves the cabinet door open.  Remember, WIndows can leave the transfer incomplete for some time, depending upon just what tasks are being handled.

Always click on that device icon in the system tray…those few seconds are worth it.

I have lost count of the times I have lost diagnostic data, simply because I shortcutted and popped out that USB flash stick.

Bob  :wink:

That’s odd… I copied more than 1 GB of songs to my Clip when I first got it, without a hitch. By any chance, did you get your Clip at Best Buy, & install the disc that comes with it? The software has been causing problems for people, so you could be a victim as well.

@emags wrote:

The problem seem to be in the amount of music you’re loading before ejecting & unplugging it from the USB cord.

I was able to load 150MB of songs and unplug without any problems.  It finally froze at the “Refresh Database” screen when I loaded about 200MB and unplugged it.

Hope this helps. And I know this is a tedious process if you have a huge library of music. But at least it works.

E

*Using Windows 2000 Pro, all MP3’s.

No, I haven’t had an alien virus invade from the fiends at Best Buy…seriously, all that dinky disk had on it is the reskinned and tagged Rhapsody program (Best Buy Digital Music Store.)

The difference between that program and Rhapsody via their direct (online) program download is in the Billing Department (e.g. account provider).

My bone to pick with Best Buy is in providing no copy of the User Guide on this disk.  But, I must mention that because of this omission, I found this forum here, and all of my new friends on the forum, and at SanDisk. 

For anyone having problems with Rhapsody, simply open Rhapsody, then click help > check for updates.  The current build of Rhapsody 4 is build 2.610. 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Earlier versions of the Clip’s firmware were more finicky when it came to the format of songs’ ID3 tags, and having the “refresh database” freeze after disconnecting the Clip was one symptom of this problem.  The latest firmware version does a much better job of handling tags that have an unexpected format or are missing.

Promised hit the nail on the head!

Either install the Firmware Updater or manually upgrade your firmware to the newest version (currently 1.01.20).  Check your firmware version on the Clip via Settings > Info.

Bob  :wink:

Leda14;

I do not see that icon. What OS are you using?

That is the Safely Remove Hardware icon under Windows.

I have XP and I see a smaller grey and green icon for Safely Remove Hardware. Is it a Vista icon?

Tweet wrote:
I have XP and I see a smaller grey and green icon for Safely Remove Hardware. Is it a Vista icon?

The image shown in the previous post was zoomed in (larger than it actually appears).  Also, the icon itself does not include the time, as shown in that image.  It’s just a rectange with an arrow over it.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 02-28-2008 06:36 PM

To Cokeefe, what’s your firmware? Upgrade your device to newest firmware 01.01.02

Good luck

mp3tt wrote:

To Cokeefe, what’s your firmware? Upgrade your device to newest firmware 01.01.02

That’s 01.01.20.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=2946

220…221…whatever it takes :wink:

how do i do a FAT16 format? I’m so confused.