Sansa: thanks, now please give me a 16GB Clip (Black) and please, some more battery life

I’d like to continue my older clip thread,

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=10314&view=by\_date\_ascending&page=1

…since I’ve upgraded to a clip+.

You guys did it again. Great consumer device, great design (your team keeps improving on an already amazing design), nicer software, gapless! [1], same great audio.

I bought my 8G device with a 16G card and filled it up with even-better-than-before aotuv quality 6 oggs. A good 30% of my jazz, classical and rock collection.

Now this is what I want next: please give me a clip+ with 16G internal, with the same slot, and 32G sdhlc external card. Please double the battery life (25+ hours)! the current clip+ does seem to have a shorter battery life, and curiously the device seems to heat up a little bit after half an hour of continuous playing, never noticed this sort of thing with older clips. Keep it painted black, non-glossy. Please.

[1] spoke too soon - no, clip+ is not gapless, although the gap is getting narrower

Message Edited by ari on 11-24-2009 11:16 PM

And I would like a 1969 Corvette Coupe with a tri-power L88 427, 4 speed, blue with black interior.

Oops! Sorry, I though this was a letter to Santa!!!

ari wrote:

…since I’ve upgraded to a clip+.

You guys did it again. Great consumer device, great design (your team keeps improving on an already amazing design), nicer software, gapless!, same great audio.

Now this is what I want next: please give me a clip+ with 16G internal, with the same slot, and 32G sdhlc external card. Please double the battery life (25+ hours)! the current clip+ does seem to have a shorter battery life . .

Gapless? There are a whole gaggle of others who would disagree.

To support the new card slot, SanDisk had to give up the blue ring light. Still the power consumption of the new unit is more than the previous Clip model. I doubt we see any improvement over what it is now without yet another new, thicker unit that can house a larger battery.

Gapless does not work on the Clip+.  Listen closely between tracks that would flow continuously into each other, and you will hear a click.

@ari wrote:

You guys did it again. Great consumer device, great design (your team keeps improving on an already amazing design), nicer software, gapless!, same great audio.

I bought my 8G device with a 16G card and filled it up with even-better-than-before aotuv quality 6 oggs. A good 30% of my jazz, classical and rock collection.

Using mp3 and wma on my Clip+, the “zero” gap between tracks is pretty nice.  It isn’t a case of an annoying stutter, to be sure.  Let’s face it, there are a few intricacies with the end of file / start of next track that will naturally exist.

I am playing wma and mp3 files back to back in these cases.  I’m not mastering or duplicating here, so a faint click is not a major concern for me.  The click is far less intrusive than the LP “pops” I have dealt with for decades, and thus, I tune them out.  Running with successive wma audio tracks, I have to be thinking about the end gap to be bothered by the transition.

I normal use, simply being able to zip forward or back between tracks, and have them play instantly without delay, I’m quite content.  And I know that it will only improve in the future.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Personally, I think people are way too obsessive over the whole gapless thing ( okay, some people…shouldn’t generalize, I know ). I experimented with single-track conversions of Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, but that’s no good when you’re listening with “shuffle all” mode engaged. And frankly, I never found that any of my players made too much of a noise going from track to track.

That said, maybe SanDisk shouldn’t have put that gapless statement in the manual right at release…the gapless fans have high expectations that it seems are not easily met. Maybe it would have been better to announce gapless after a firmware update or two? I think the Clip+ would sell just fine either way, it’s such a bargain.

Marvin_Martian wrote:

That said, maybe SanDisk shouldn’t have put that gapless statement in the manual right at release…the gapless fans have high expectations that it seems are not easily met. Maybe it would have been better to announce gapless after a firmware update or two? I think the Clip+ would sell just fine either way, it’s such a bargain.

Didn’t you mean to spell that word f-a-n-a-t-i-c-s , Marvin? :stuck_out_tongue:

Assuming that we’re not talking a major pop on vinyl playback, I actually find the digital clicks that are heard on non-gapless playback or on a bad CD rip to be much more disruptive.  There’s something more natural sounding about vinyl surface noise or a click on a record than a digital screech or pop.  I guess it’s subjective.

@neutron_bob wrote:

The click is far less intrusive than the LP “pops” I have dealt with for decades, and thus, I tune them out.  Running with successive wma audio tracks, I have to be thinking about the end gap to be bothered by the transition.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

If you want 16GB and better battery life, the best option might be purchasing an 8GB µSD card, and turning the brightness down. :wink:

Alternatively, there’s the View, but it’s expensive and obsolescent, and is unlikely to get any firmware updates.

Or you could wait 18-24 months for a Clip++.