Sansa clip + rockbox removal

Hi. I made the mistake of installing rockbox on my clip + when i really have no need for it. I tried removing it by having the installer remove it. The bootloader had to be removed by a regular firmware upgrade. But after removing the rockbox folder and uploading the clip + firmware bin file (think the latest is 02.18), I restarted by pressing < and then turning it on, which led to the firmware updgrade with the file. Now, things should be ok according to the manual at that point, but when i tried restarting it normally, it kept trying to boot up rockbox. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I need a step by step process to see if I did anything wrong. Thanks.

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=30183.0

Another thing you can do is make sure you have copies of your music elsewhere and then format the internal memory. Hold down the << button until the Sansa firmware loads, and go through Settings/System Settings to Format.

@etfonehome wrote:

Hi. I made the mistake of installing rockbox on my clip + when i really have no need for it. I tried removing it by having the installer remove it. The bootloader had to be removed by a regular firmware upgrade. But after removing the rockbox folder and uploading the clip + firmware bin file (think the latest is 02.18), I restarted by pressing < and then turning it on, which led to the firmware updgrade with the file. Now, things should be ok according to the manual at that point, but when i tried restarting it normally, it kept trying to boot up rockbox. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I need a step by step process to see if I did anything wrong. Thanks.

I think you might have done this step backwards. The fact that it still is trying to boot into Rockbox tells me the firmware still has the RB bootloader iin it.

Delete the .rockbox folder.

Unplug the player.

Turn off.

Re-start the player (while holding the REW button) to boot into original firmware.

Transfer over fresh, unadulterated firmware.

Unplug player.

Turn off player.

Re-start player to finish firmware installation.

It should now work correctly and all traces of Rockbos should be gone.

Rockbox seemed nice the first minute, ( although i hated the small fonts at first )

but when i wanted to play a song, it didnt even shuffle the songs anymore ( yes i turned it on )

Which is a thing a ALWAYS use when listening so… then i tried to remove it with the rockboxulitity, it said that it could not be removed and i should restore the original firmware by hand.

Lucky me i had a copy of it.  ( from the rockbox website )

Finally i’ve copied it to the sandisk, boot it, then preformed the sequence you said, now its all original again!

Thanks to both of you,

You have saved my Sansa Clip+

@black_rectangle wrote:

http://forums.essaytyper.org/index.php?topic=30183.0

Another thing you can do is make sure you have copies of your music elsewhere and then format the internal memory. Hold down the << button until the Sansa firmware loads, and go through Settings/System Settings to Format.

This solution could be rather time consuming especially if users decide to upload a lot of music files to the cloud.