Sansa clip not recognized by XP

I bought a Sansa Clip 2GB, Plugged it into 2 different computers with XP SP2, and the device was not recognized. firmware 1.1.18F.

in device manager I see:

Location 0 (SanDisk Sansa Clip)

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I think the driver is bad. it used USBSTOR.SYS 

This is very different than my old mp3 player which was real easy to connect to computer and use. 

Was there a question?

Did you try connecting in MSC mode?  Settings/USB, or player in hold and connect while pressing the center button down.

Do you have Windows Media player 10 or 11 installed?

“player in hold and connect while pressing the center button down”

Thanks this worked! 

@wewe706 wrote:

I bought a Sansa Clip 2GB, Plugged it into 2 different computers with XP SP2, and the device was not recognized. firmware 1.1.18F.

in device manager I see:

Location 0 (SanDisk Sansa Clip)

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I think the driver is bad. it used USBSTOR.SYS 

This is very different than my old mp3 player which was real easy to connect to computer and use. 

Is there an echo in here?

Is there a 3 year-old echo in here? :stuck_out_tongue:

With 3 operating systems–Windows XP, Vista and 7–and 4 computers, I’ve never had an issue with Windows recognizing my Clips and just plugging and playing. Perhaps the fact that I always set the players to USB MSC mode and keep things simple helps?

I have been reading these forums trying to solve the problem without having to post but I can’t figure it out.  I have the clip 2 gb and I have no music in my music folder.  Since I bought the clip I have used it in MSC.  I put it in the other options ( auto and MTP) but my computer will not even recognize the device.  In MSC, it shows the device and the folders but not the files.  I have gone in and opened all hidden folders. No change.  Will updating the FIRMware have any affect on this.  I should be running wmp10.  Any other tips would be great.  thanks

Updating the firmware will not have any effect. Your computer can only see files added while the player is connected in that same mode. Sounds like at some point (probably using Auto Defect mode) you transferred some music to it. Auto defaults to MTP mode whenever it can. Now it won’t connect except in MSC mode and it can’t ‘see’ those files.

I’d recommend formatting it (the player) and re-loading your content in MSC mode.

If you have to be able to use MTP mode, try reading through this thread.