Sansa Clip+ id3v2.3 artist field only showing 31 characters

Hello,

I’m wondering if anyone else has this issue: All my mp3s are saved with id3v2.3, ISO format (the recommended version for the Clip+). However, the artist tag is only showing the first 31 characters. The title tag is shown fully (even if longer than 31 characters). I’ve verified with a hex editor that the mp3’s tag fully conforms with id3v2.3, and has the full artist data (> 31 characters…35 to be precise) embedded in the tag; is this a known bug? I have firmware version 17.

Thanks,

Greg

Why are you using such long artist tags? Do you also have embedded album art?

@jk98 wrote:

Why are you using such long artist tags? Do you also have embedded album art?

Because I want the full official artist for the song…

id3v2.3 should support text frame sizes (e.g. artist, title) greater than 32 bytes (which was the restriction in id3v1)…but it appears my Sansa Clip+ only does that for title tags, not artist. Seems very peculiar.

I have no embedded album art.

Greg

Just curious…who is the artist with a name longer than 31 characters?

If it’s X featuring Y, I always put that in the title. And Featuring can be feat. or F. Really. 

@black_rectangle wrote:

Just curious…who is the artist with a name longer than 31 characters?

If it’s X featuring Y, I always put that in the title. And Featuring can be feat. or F. Really. 

Walter Murphy & The Big Apple Band, for instance (#1 hit in 1976). I play trivia so I like to have the exact names of the artists as they appear on Billboard or whatnot.

An answer of “well your artist names should be less than 32 characters!” is unacceptable. If an mp3 player says it supports id3v2, then it should be able to display artist lengths greater than 32 characters…

It’s strange because the titles appear in full, even if greater than 32 characters. Just wondering if this was a known bug.

Greg

“However, the artist tag is only showing the first 31 characters.”

Where? Perhaps it is a limitation of whatever program you are using to view the tag, and not the player?

@jk98 wrote:

“However, the artist tag is only showing the first 31 characters.”

Where? Perhaps it is a limitation of whatever program you are using to view the tag, and not the player?

In the subject line of my post…the Sansa Clip+…is only showing the first 32 characters of the id3v2.3 artist tag…as it scrolls the artist…

As I mentioned in my first post, I verified that the mp3 has a valid id3v2 tag, with full artist and title embedded in the file.

The tag should scroll across if you give it a chance. It’s possible there is a 32-character limit–that is a lot of characters for an artist name. 

Try mp3tag tagging software. Download the current version’s setup.exe file, not any other junkware that might appear on your screen.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

When installing let it add itself to context menus so you can right-click and album folder and open it with mp3tag. Under Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg choose ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Just highlight your current tags and Save them and they’ll be fixed. Or with the tracks in playing order from top to bottom, use the Auto-Numbering Wizard with leading zeroes, which makes the track numbers 01, 02, etc. Otherwise, 1, 11,12, etc. will play before 2. 

The Sansas are a little too picky about tags. ID3v2.3 is preferred. ID3v2.2 usually works. ID3v2.4 is problematical.