Sansa Clip freezes at startup

I had the player for about three years. Once I noticed that the verification of files took much longer than usual and the bar was at 100%, so I unplugged the microSD card. After that the next time I tried to turn the payer on, it blacked out after the flower logo, then has displayed the Sansa logo again, the flower logo again, and then freezes at the flower logo. PC doesn’t recognize it. So far I’ve tried:

• resetting while holding the power button for 20 seconds (while also holding the center button, home, or volume up)

• holding the center button while plugging into the pc

• plugging and unplugging the microSD card

• pressing the hidden hard reset button in the back with a needle

No dice so far. What should I do?

By any chance, can you connect the player to your computer?  If so, you could try reapplying the latest firmware, in case there is a firmware glitch, or, as a last result, reformatting the player via your computer.

As I said, I tried holding the center button while plugging into the pc.

Sorry, a brain freeze there . . . .

Sorry, a brain freeze there . . . .

If not done, you might try not holding the center button down when trying to connect.  I’m really just reaching, as you’ve done most I can think of.

Another thought:  for a reset, try holding the on button down for more than 20 seconds, even as long as a minute.

As to the “hidden” reset button you found, unless I’m mistaken or you’ve found something new, what I think you’ve found is the player’s microphone.  Best not to push a needle into it . . . .

The only other thing I can think of is to turn the player on and then let it run down and shut off.  Then plug it in to AC power and leave it alone to charge fully.  And then try starting it up.

Try getting it to start by holding down both left and right buttons with your thumbs while pressing start button with an idex finger.

If you can get it to start go to settings - scroll to format and format the disk.

Then re-install firmware

Thanks for your replies. So far I’ve tried:

• holding left and right while turning it on 

• holding the power button for more than a minute

No luck so far. The battery seems to give way because the player turns off after a couple minutes of inactivity, so I’ll try letting it lose all charge next.

About the microphone - I never had any idea teh player even had one. Whatever was in that aperture, it’s probably busted now after rigorous needle pushing…

:wink:

So the battery has finally died today, and after plugging it into a USB slot, it’s still the exact same as before. Looks like this is the end. I’m going to buy a new one of the same model, love just about everything about it except for occasional glitches.

Amazon has the 4G for $35…that’s not bad for something that gave you three years of happiness.

@zhnigo wrote:

So the battery has finally died today, and after plugging it into a USB slot, it’s still the exact same as before. Looks like this is the end. I’m going to buy a new one of the same model, love just about everything about it except for occasional glitches.

A couple of ideas:  leave it off and alone for a few days, and then try it again–these little guys have a way of coming back to life, at times.

Or, leave it alone and charging for a few days, and then try again.  Gremlins . . . .

Thanks, but I’m not in the USA.

eBay.