Sansa Clip acting strange

Hi,

My Sansa Clip does not seem to be charging the battery when plugged into the PC. It shows the screen with the picture of clip and pc with the arrows moving in both directions and the battery symbol repeatedly filling up (although repetition is much quicker than I remember in the past), also says “connected”. After about 4 seconds “SanDisk” appears and disappears one letter at a time and then repeats the whole pattern. When I remove the unit, the battery shows empty. My PC does recognize the unit and I am able to add music. I did a format, seemed successful but did not effect the issue.  I updated firmware to v02.01.35A after problem started, also with no effect. Unit has been working fine up til now. 

Does the battery die a sudden death?     Is the battery replaceable?      Any other fixes?

Thanks

The battery generally is not user-replaceable, although for the hacking sort, it can be. 

Have you tried charging via the wall outlet, with an AC/USB adapter?  That could indicate if it’s the player or the connection to the computer.  You also could try a different port. 

Well, my clip has just generated the exact opposite problem. It used to charge on both PC and using a wall charger (or auto charger). I could also play in the last situations. Now it doesn’t charge or play when plugged into wall charger although the charge indicator looks fairly normal. It does charge and is recognized when connected to pc.

@dave61430 wrote:

Well, my clip has just generated the exact opposite problem. It used to charge on both PC and using a wall charger (or auto charger). I could also play in the last situations. Now it doesn’t charge or play when plugged into wall charger although the charge indicator looks fairly normal. It does charge and is recognized when connected to pc.

Sounds like your wall charger has gone belly-up.

A faulty USB cable could be the culprit as well (altho, my bet is with the AC/USB adapter).

@miikerman wrote:

A faulty USB cable could be the culprit as well (altho, my bet is with the AC/USB adapter).

If it connects, is recognized and charges when hooked up to the computer, then the cable is probably OK, wouldn’t you think? That’s why I was suspect of the charger itself. A lot of those cheap, Chinese chargers don’t last too long.