Sansa Clip Wont Register on my computer

I have reset it and it still comes up as an Unknown Devise. When I plug it in is says “USB devise not recognized.”  Then when I click on it to see what is wrong, it pops up with this in the description. “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)” I have rest via holding the on button for 15 to 20 seconds, and it worked to reset it, but it still does not register on my computer. I works just fine otherswise, and its not the cable cuz it works on every thing else and the sanza works with none of the cables I have, so it has to be the sansa. I have tried to plug it into other peoples computers and still the same thing. “Unknown Devise, Code 43” the whole shibang. Please help. 

I’m not sure if this will work, but it might.  I had the same problem with mine at first.  I ended up going into Settings-USB Mode and switching it to MSC.  Then, my computer recognized it.  Later, I needed to switch to MTP mode to get my Overdrive library audiobooks to work properly.  My computer recognized it differently, but all worked fine to download my audiobook.  My music works fine in either mode.

Note, whatever you download in one USB Mode, doesn’t show up in your files when you connect the Clip+.  If you download an audiobook in MTP, it doesn’t show up when I connect my player in MSC mode.  It’s still there, just in the other Mode.

Hope that makes sense.  Am new to this player but really like it.

You also might need to go into the Device manager on your computer and de-athorize/uninstall the Clip drive, and then start from scratch again–sometimes this does the trick.

@miikerman wrote:

You also might need to go into the Device manager on your computer and de-athorize/uninstall the Clip drive, and then start from scratch again–sometimes this does the trick.

Error Code 43 is USB driver issue so yes, this would be a good idea to un-install the device (in Device Manager) having problems, unplugging, rebooting the computer and then plugging it back in to see if Windows will find/correct/install the appropriate driver that works.

Switching to MSC mode may bypass the situation, but if DRM-crippled files are being used, you need to get MTP mode working in order to use the player.

Allrighty then, I have tried all of your suggestions (thank you very much for posting them, your efforts are not unapreciated) but none of them have worked. I even unplugged all other ubs and installed the windows Fix it app thingy, but non of it works. the clip works fine, and I have had it reset as well as formatted, so now its just an empty shell that I can make recordings with and listen to the radio on, but for some reason, my computer still calls it a code 43, no matter how many times I uninstall it or try to change it. From what ive researched so far, code 43 is a problem with the devise itsself, as one of you said, and so I was wondering if anyone had any more ideas on how to get this little thing running properly. I love the clip, and I really want to listen to my music on it agian. 

Does the Clip+ show up in Windows Explorer if you use another computer? Have you tested it with another USB-cable (preferably a short one)? Which version of Windows are you using? Do you use the original firmware from Sandisk or Rockbox on the Clip+?

I have experienced the same error with the Clip+ in combination with some Computer hardware and no name USB-cables with greater length than 100 centimeter . The combination is working with other devices but with Clip+ it fails. A switch to another and shorter USB-cable have solved the problem for me. The first thing you should try though is to activate MSC-mode and plug it in another computer and see if it makes a difference. If not and the result is the same with anoher (and really short) USB-cable your device might be faulty.

Does the Clip show up in Windows Explorer if you use another computer? Have you tested it with another USB-cable (preferably a short one)? Which version of Windows are you using? Do you use the original firmware from Sandisk or Rockbox on the Clip?

I have experienced the same error with the Clip+ in combination with some Computer hardware and no name USB-cables with greater length than 100 centimeter . The combination is working with other devices but with Clip it fails. A switch to another and shorter USB-cable have solved the problem for me. The first thing you should try though is to activate MSC-mode and plug it in another computer and see if it makes a difference. If not and the result is the same with anoher (and really short) USB-cable your device might be faulty.

Well, first make sure it is definitely in MSC mode and sure, try another cable.

But I’m not sure if you have actually tried uninstalling the USB driver.

You need to find Device Manager, which moves around in various versions of Windows. For instance, in Windows 7 it is under Control Panel/System/Device Manager. If you can’t find it look up device manager in Help.

Then open Device Manager, connect the Sansa, look for a yellow triangle with an exclamation point to pop up. Right-click and uninstall (not disable) that driver. Disconnect the Sansa, restart your computer, try to connect again. With luck, since you have uninstalled the non-working driver, you’ll get a nice shiny new one installed and connected. 

“Nice shiny new one [driver]”–good one.   :wink: