Sansa Clip - Won't Charge, Isn't Detected By PC - Ownership 30+ Days

I have owned my Black 1 GB Sansa Clip for a little over 35 days now. I ordered it originally from NewEgg.com.

I have reasonable knowledge about computers and computer hardware, so feel free to explain things as they are.

The Problem :

It functioned the first time I used it. I plugged it in my PC, it charged, I put my music on it using WMP 11, and I went on listening with no problems.

When the time came that the battery was nearly drained or with no charge, I plugged it in my PC to restore the charge. Initially there were no problems with this, as WMP 11 (and my computer) deteced that the device was connected and the battery meter on the display of the Clip showed that it was charging. While I do not remember entirely, the particular day I was charging it I had my computer off and on standby intermittenly over about 24 hours. When I saw the next morning that the battery meter on the display indicated a full charge, I removed the Clip in order to use it. My computer had been turned off for about eight hours or so with the clip still plugged in from the previous day.

To my surprise, when I turned it on, the battery meter showed that there was little to no charge present right before the “Low Battery” warning screen flashed and it turned off completely. Naturally, I went to plug it back into my computer again, except this time the player was not detected and the charge meter on the device’s display did not indicate that it was charging. The battery “icon” on the screen simply remained empty and did not display the “charging sequence” that it had done before. 

My first reaction was to go to the support page for the SanDisk Sansa Clip. None of the troubleshooting suggestions either applied to my problem or could render a solution. I then went to this forum and browsed many of the threads looking for something that might solve the problem. I came across a few things, but none of them have worked. Here’s what I’ve tried:

• I read the FAQ that’s here (http://www.sandisk.com/sansa/faq/) and the one stickied at the top of this forum. No results.
  • I tried using all six of the USB ports I have. Nothing.
  • I tried “forcing the player into MSC mode” before/while connecting it. Nothing again.
  • I have installed the “MTP Porting Kit”. No changes.
  • I tried a different computer in my house. Nothing.

Conclusion :

At this point, I don’t know what to do. I was going to RMA the product back to NewEgg, but I miscounted the number of days I owned it, which exceeds their 30 Day RMA policy.

One thing I haven’t tried doing is using a friend of mine’s USB cable/connector. She uses the pink 2 GB Model of the Sansa clip and hasn’t had any of these problems. However, if it is a faulty USB cable – Why did it work the first time? And secondly, why would the display continue to show the “Connected” screen with the empty battery icon when the player is connected via USB?

In terms of using the Clip, I haven’t done anything that stands out to me as either something that would cause it to malfunction or void the warranty (however limited it may be). I went to the gym with it a couple times, used it when running, and a lot of casual use. I dropped it once or twice, but it didn’t do anything to the player to my knowledge.

On the other hand, there weren’t any significant changes in the hardware, software, or operating system of my computer during the time the clip was working. All my USB ports are 2.0 (remember, it worked before) and I have had WMP 11 installed. A few days ago Windows Upate upgraded my operating system to Windows XP Service Pack 3. I have tried potential solutions since then, and there are still no results.

Below there is a link to a short YouTube video* of mine that might better show you the problem I’m encountering. The focus is slightly off, but you can still see what’s occured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf3kUaVe__c

Note the battery icon in the upper right corner of the player’s display. It doesn’t show a “charging sequence” like it did before.

The computer didn’t recognize the player either.

Hopefully someone here can find answer that I cannot. Otherwise, I might have to spend more money for either another new Clip or different MP3 entirely. This is really disappointing considering companies like SanDisk make great media like Flash Drives. It’s a shame that their MP3 players aren’t as impressive.

*Video may still be undergoing Youtube’s “processing” stage

Find someone with a Motorola Razor cellphone(or other wall charger with a mini usb connector) and try charging the player with its charger, or else find a USB wall charger and try charging the player with that. I hope that keeping the player connected to the pc with the pc off did not cause a flow of current from the battery and that the battery wasn’t damaged due to that and needs to be replaced. How long is the warranty by Sandisk? Perhaps if charging through a wall charger doesn’t work, the player might need to have its battery replaced?

There may not be enough power in the battery to power it up enough for the pc to recognize it. The question is whether the battery is irreversibly damaged, or if it will charge via a wall charger. Try giving it an extra long charge via a wall charger. There might not be any permanent damage, just a very discharged battery.

Message Edited by JK98 on 09-21-2008 05:51 PM

I had exactly the same problem and the wall charger wasn’t working, but strangely enough when I stopped trying and the battery got completely discharged (the player didn’t turn on even for one second) I was able to charge and communicate again. After I charged the problem was the same. I tried everything reset, format, downgrade the firmware, usb modes, etc. and nothing, Then I got a RMA,but it expired before I send it back (long story short, I’m not in USA). But (miracles happens!) right know my player is working fine, don’t ask me how, I stopped trying to fix it a month ago and only waited for the complete discharge cycle. The only thing different is that in the meantime I had to format my two computers. I’m starting to think that maybe one of those now so common pendrive virus attacked my player and computers but know everything is clean, I don’t know.

Computers, at times, do the dangedest things.  If a wall charge doesn’t work, if possible, I’d try using both a different computer and a different USB cable.  Also, did you try a Clip system re-set (on switch in the uppermost position for 10-15 seconds)?

I tried the Clip reset twice, when it was connected via USB and when it was not, and it didn’t appear to do anything.

There is no charge on the player right now, so its not like I can try anything else with the player.

Given my resources, I don’t think I’ll be able to obtain or use any kind of wall-mounted charger, unfortunately.

Unless anyone can come up with another potential solution, I’m afraid I’m out of luck. I may just buy another through retail (only $34.99 at my local Circuit City) if I find I can spend the money. Or I could re-check my warranty information.

I appreciate everyone’s help so far :slight_smile: !

Be sure to post if you think of anything else.

Message Edited by NH818 on 09-22-2008 07:18 PM

Hola NH, mi inglés es muy malo para escribir, yo he usado un traductor para leer tus mensajes. Intentaré escribirte lo mejor posible por si usas un traductor también ;).

Tengo el mismo problema que tu, mi pc a pesar de tener USB 2.0 no daba suficiente energía, en un ordenador portatil si cargaba perfectamente así que hoy mismo he comprado un HUB Usb con toma de corriente externa, me ha costado solo 15 euros, de la marca conceptronic, lo he puesto y me ha empezado a cargar bien pero a la hora se ha apagado y no ha vuelto a enceder, ahora mismo lo he desconectado y he pulsado el boton de encendido al menos 20 segundos hacía arriba y ha vuelto a la vida, lo he vuelto a enchufar y está cargando. Mañana no se si seguirá vivo, :smiley: intenta hacer lo mismo a ver si se soluciona tu problema, un saludo.

@maullido wrote:

Hola NH, mi inglés es muy malo para escribir, yo he usado un traductor para leer tus mensajes. Intentaré escribirte lo mejor posible por si usas un traductor también ;).

Tengo el mismo problema que tu, mi pc a pesar de tener USB 2.0 no daba suficiente energía, en un ordenador portatil si cargaba perfectamente así que hoy mismo he comprado un HUB Usb con toma de corriente externa, me ha costado solo 15 euros, de la marca conceptronic, lo he puesto y me ha empezado a cargar bien pero a la hora se ha apagado y no ha vuelto a enceder, ahora mismo lo he desconectado y he pulsado el boton de encendido al menos 20 segundos hacía arriba y ha vuelto a la vida, lo he vuelto a enchufar y está cargando. Mañana no se si seguirá vivo, :smiley: intenta hacer lo mismo a ver si se soluciona tu problema, un saludo.

my spanish is a bit rusty but i think he is saying a usb powered hub fixed his charging issues. 

@nh818 wrote:

I tried the Clip reset twice, when it was connected via USB and when it was not, and it didn’t appear to do anything.

There is no charge on the player right now, so its not like I can try anything else with the player.

Given my resources, I don’t think I’ll be able to obtain or use any kind of wall-mounted charger, unfortunately.

Unless anyone can come up with another potential solution, I’m afraid I’m out of luck. I may just buy another through retail (only $34.99 at my local Circuit City) if I find I can spend the money. Or I could re-check my warranty information.

If your CC is local, you may want to see if you simply can exchange your dud for a new one–they might agree, to keep a valued customer.

Otherwise, please don’t buy a new one–instead, please just telephone SanDisk Customer Service at their tollfree number, and they almost certainly will replace your Clip via the mail–it’s under warranty, and that’s what they tend to do.  A time hassle, but you shouldn’t be out the cash.  :slight_smile:

@nh818 wrote:

Please don’t buy a new one–instead, if nothing works, please just telephone SanDisk Customer Service at their tollfree number, and they almost certainly will replace your Clip via the mail–it’s under warranty, and that’s what they tend to do.  A time hassle, but you shouldn’t be out the cash.  :smiley:

Al final dejó de funcionar, solo se cargó a la mitad y dando fallos, he ido a la tienda y lo he cambiado por un creative ZEN y PERFECTO, mas caro pero no me caliento la cabeza, un saludo.

Hm… its a good thing I’ve taken four years of Spanish.

It would make sense to me that using an external USB hub might supply sufficient power, if in fact it is a power issue. What the specific problem is I don’t think any of us can be sure of. However, I am still considering the USB hub option.

What I will likely do in the next few days is call SanDisk customer service, as recommended. Its right that it would be better than spending more money.

I’m going to try the following number, unless anyone knows of another I should call?

North America Technical Support
1-866-SANDISK (726-3475)
7 days a week:
4am. - 10pm. Pacific Standard Time
7am - 1am Eastern Standard Time
support@sandisk.com

Once again, thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions!

Message Edited by NH818 on 09-23-2008 10:46 PM