Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Sansa Clip+ Replacement?

Again, personally, I have and see no issue in discussing technology generally as it applies to a whole group.  But yes, as to discussing a competitor's product in and of itself and directing to where it may be purchased, within the confines of a sandbox that a company kindly has provided presumably principally for the discussion of its own products.  Again, my personal opinion.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

The OP wanted to know what to replace the Clip + with.  Since the Jam and Sport are, by all accounts, serious downgrades from the Clip+ , the answer to the question may be another brand--or, while they can be found, another Clip+.  Never had a Zip, so I can't address whether that was an improvement, but those are disappearing too.

If there's another little inexpensive unit comparable to the Clip+, I certainly would like to know about it. 

The FiiO M3 won't take Rockbox and does have a file limit (for navigation by tags)  in the neighborhood of 3700-4000, while a Rockboxed Clip+ will take as many as the card can hold. 

The ABI thread gets interesting around this page: 

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75157&highlight=fiio&page=5

The only reason I put in a purchase link was because when I initially posted the FiiO  had only been announced, not made available. It's also an easy place to see what it looks like and, eventually, to look at user reviews--so better than a link to the FiiO website that's all hype. 

If a moderator wants to delete my posts, fine, but I don't see any reason to withhold potentially useful information from people who come here looking for it. I get the feeling SanDisk can afford the bandwidth for a text forum. If they would just bring back the Fuze, all would be forgiven. 

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Black-Rectangle wrote:

If there's another little inexpensive unit comparable to the Clip+, I certainly would like to know about it.  

Absolutely, and that's why I look at third-party sites such as anythingbutipod.com and head-fi.org for that, rather than at a competitor's own run website . . . .     Smiley Wink     But we've now both provided our personal feelings on the topic.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Head-fi.org is the place to discuss other brands of players and compare them to Sandisk players. I am also disappointed with Sandisk's current player offerings. The last two players I bought were not made by Sandisk(no, I won't mention here which they are). I do own the Sandisk Clip+, Clip Zip, and Clip Sport. The Clip+ and Clip Zip are Rockboxed. I owned two Fuzes, and used Rockbox on the Fuze. I also owned the original Clip. 

I gave away the Fuzes and the original Clip.