Sansa Clip+ Replacement?

The OP wanted to know what to replace the Clip + with.  Since the Jam and Sport are, by all accounts, serious downgrades from the Clip+ , the answer to the question may be another brand–or, while they can be found, another Clip+.  Never had a Zip, so I can’t address whether that was an improvement, but those are disappearing too.

If there’s another little inexpensive unit comparable to the Clip+, I certainly would like to know about it. 

The FiiO M3 won’t take Rockbox and does have a file limit (for navigation by tags)  in the neighborhood of 3700-4000, while a Rockboxed Clip+ will take as many as the card can hold. 

The ABI thread gets interesting around this page: 

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75157&highlight=fiio&page=5

The only reason I put in a purchase link was because when I initially posted the FiiO  had only been announced, not made available. It’s also an easy place to see what it looks like and, eventually, to look at user reviews–so better than a link to the FiiO website that’s all hype. 

If a moderator wants to delete my posts, fine, but I don’t see any reason to withhold potentially useful information from people who come here looking for it. I get the feeling SanDisk can afford the bandwidth for a text forum. If they would just bring back the Fuze, all would be forgiven.