Sansa Clip+ Offers Big Sound & Tons of Features in a Tiny, Stylish Package

SANDISK DEBUTS SANSA CLIP+ MP3 PLAYER –
OFFERING BIG SOUND AND TONS OF FEATURES IN A TINY, STYLISH PACKAGE

_ New microSD Card Slot Extends the Fun Indefinitely, _

Letting Consumers Listen to Thousands of Additional Songs in Seconds  

Link on sandisk.com 

Milpitas** , Calif. **, August 31, 2009SanDisk® Corporation (NASDAQ:SNDK), the global leader in flash memory cards, today announced the Sansa® Clip+ MP3 player. The new Sansa Clip+ MP3 player comes equipped with a new microSD™ memory card slot that enables consumers to listen to thousands of additional songs effortlessly.

microSD Card Compatibility Offers Major Music Enjoyment:

As the successor to the best selling full-featured sub-$100 MP3 player in America, the Sansa Clip+ MP3 player is fully compatible with SanDisk slotRadio™ and slotMusic™ cards, as well as any microSD card pre-loaded with music. By sliding any of these cards into the new Sansa Clip+ memory card slot, music lovers can instantly listen to premium songs and handcrafted playlists without consuming any of the device’s onboard memory.

·         slotRadio cards: SanDisk slotRadio cards (starting at $39.99 MSRP, U.S. only) give consumers immediate access to some of their favorite styles of music, including Rock, Country, Oldies and Hip Hop/R&B. Most slotRadio cards contain 1,000 songs** featuring chart topping artists from the Billboard® charts.

·         slotMusic cards: Consumers can also insert a SanDisk slotMusic card into their Sansa Clip+ MP3 player’s microSD card slot to plug-and-play the latest albums (on microSD card) from today’s hottest artists, as well as greatest hits’ compilations from past decades (cards start at $14.99 MSRP, U.S. only). slotMusic cards make music portable and can also be used in mobile phones with a microSD card slot that can play MP3 files, computers with a microSD USB reader or an SD card adapter, and even some car stereos with a microSD USB reader or SD card adapter.

·         Custom-loaded microSD cards: Consumers have the option of inserting a microSD card loaded with their own music library to listen to —up to 4,000 additional songs1 per 16GB card—which again adds interoperability with other devices, including mobile phones that are microSD card compatible.

Tailor made for budget and time-conscious music fans looking for the best MP3 player for the money, the Sansa Clip+ MP3 player offers outstanding sound quality; long-lasting rechargeable battery; bright, easy-to-read screen, and compact wearable design.

“We made a great product – the Sansa Clip – even better,” said Eric Bone, vice president, retail product marketing, SanDisk. “This small player packs big features, including a new microSD memory card slot that gives music lovers the ability to listen to thousands of additional songs in seconds. It’s the perfect player for travelers, busy moms, fitness buffs or anyone looking to enjoy music without the hassle of loading songs from their computer or updating playlists.”

The Sansa Clip+ MP3 player is expected to be available at sandisk.com and bestbuy.com on Aug. 31, and at other retailers nationwide on Sept. 13. The device will be available in Canada and Europe in time for the holiday season. The music player comes in a variety of capacities, including 2-gigabytes* (GB) of onboard memory for up to 500 songs1 for $39.99 (MSRP), 4GB which holds up to 1,000 songs1 for $49.99, and 8GB, which has an up to 2,000-song1 capacity for just $69.99.

Consumers can show off their style by choosing the Sansa Clip+ MP3 player in red, blue or black. (Capacity and associated colors vary.)

Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player Features:

·         Superior sound – one of the best sounding MP3 players on the market 

·         microSD expansion slot which is compatible with slotRadio and slotMusic cards and any standard microSD card

·         A wearable clip for hands-free portability and effortless enjoyment of digital music on the go

·         Large(1” ), bright (OLED) screen with a simple user interface that makes it easy to choose playlists or songs sorted by title, artist, album, genre

·         FM tuner with 40 presets for listening to sports, tuning in at the gym or your favorite music station

·         Built-in microphone to record thoughts while on the go

·         Equalizer mode to fine tune the listening experience

·         Rechargeable, lithium ion battery with up to 15 hours of  life2 - one of the most competitive battery performances for an MP3 player of its size on the market today

·         Solid state flash memory for skip-free playback of music

·         Support for many music download and subscription services including Rhapsody®, Napster, eMusic and others

·         Designed to work seamlessly with a wide range of music formats, such as MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis and Audible files (for audio books), in both unprotected and protected files

The Sansa Clip+ MP3 player is the first Windows 7 certified MP3 player (along with the Sansa® Fuze™, Sansa® View, and Sansa® Clip portable media players). This compatibility simplifies the user experience and offers a smooth transition to the forthcoming operating system. 

The Sansa Clip+ MP3 player updates SanDisk’s Sansa audio/video product family, which includes the popular full-sized Sansa Fuze MP3 player, SanDisk slotRadio™ player, SanDisk slotMusic™ player and the companion SanDisk slotRadio and slotMusic cards.  

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 08-31-2009 11:39 AM

I would love to know if the folder navigation and track info from the Clip+ will be ported to the traditional Clip. :smiley:

Is this coming out internationally? 

Cool, I am excited

Wow! This sounds great!

Will the European version support RDS function on FM radio ?

It’s really nice to know the name of radio I’m listening to and ( if radio transmits the information ) know track name and author of the song that radio is broadcasting.

What do you mean with “The device will be available in Canada and Europe in time for the holiday season” ? Do you mean Christmas ?

Yes, except that there are other holidays for other people at that time of year as well.

It’s a bit too late.

I hope that they offer at least in special launch price for Christmas. 

Don’t forget that in Europe competitors like Apple and Samsung are not sleeping :wink:

@ricky65 wrote:

Don’t forget that in Europe competitors like Apple and Samsung are not sleeping :wink:

Have you seen the newest iPod Shuffle? Somebody was asleep at the wheel there.:wink:

@ricky65 wrote:

It’s a bit too late.

I hope that they offer at least in special launch price for Christmas. 

Too late for what?  Sept./Oct. is when new products come out typically, for Dec. holidays.  For example, the fruit company DAP/computer seller has a show/announcement next week, announcing, likely, revised products.

@slotmonsta wrote:

That’s a good feature. I want to listen to thousands of songs in mere seconds too :wink:

Edit: I hope they will come to europe soon so I can pick up one myself.

Message Edited by 7o9 on 09-01-2009 12:28 AM

@marvin_martian wrote:

Have you seen the newest iPod Shuffle? Somebody was asleep at the wheel there.:wink:

Maybe.

Personally I don’t like new Shuffle, but it’s Apple and glamour. So it sells 

Also I hope that new Clip+ will easier to find in shops.

In Italy it’s really hard to find a Clip or a Fuze in a shop, while you can find iPod everywhere. 

@7o9 wrote:

@slotmonsta wrote:

That’s a good feature. I want to listen to thousands of songs in mere seconds too :wink:

Heh … you beat me to it.  :wink:

@7o9 wrote:

@slotmonsta wrote:

So they sped up the database refresh a whole lot… or they mean a lot of seconds.

@donp wrote:

@7o9 wrote:

@slotmonsta wrote:

So they sped up the database refresh a whole lot… or they mean a lot of seconds.

Not sure whether you’re serious or not.  I think they meant that it takes seconds to insert/swap microSDHC cards.

@promisedplanet wrote:

@donp wrote:

@7o9 wrote:

@slotmonsta wrote:

Not sure whether you’re serious or not.  I think they meant that it takes seconds to insert/swap microSDHC cards.

It probably is what they meant.  I’m just pointing out that inserting thousands of songs in seconds isn’t the same as listening to them (the wording they used) as soon as you’re done inserting if you have to wait a few minutes for the refresh.

It seems like a very nice player. I am impressed not just by the addition of the card slot, but the addition of folder browsing, improvement of the clip, elimination of the blue light ring(it  added to the cost of the player and battery usage, and was annoying), moving the volume buttons to a better location, and replacing the annoying power slider switch  with a button. I am glad that the MSRP of the 4 GB Clip+ is just $50. Many stores had high prices on the Clip. I will probably buy one of these soon.

I am still waiting for a nice AA or AAA battery powered player though. The two Sandisk released within the past year, the Slotmusic Player, and the Slotradio Player To Go both lack a display. For a AA or AAA battery based player, I want a basic LCD alphanumeric display like on a digital watch that is on all the time(or perhaps just while the player is playing?) and has a backlight that is on only while a dedicated button is pressed. One thing that drives me crazy on the Fuze and on the Clip is the display turning off just when I am trying to read it, and not being sure the player is off just by looking at it(I turn the wheel on the Fuze and press a button on the Clip to verify this).

@jk98 wrote:

I am still waiting for a nice AA or AAA battery powered player though.

Oldies but goodies?  http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6490_7-6582800.html

:smileyvery-happy:

As has been pointed out in some other threads, with digital cameras the models using AA’s still sell pretty well against the smaller ones with flat lithium batteries, and aside from size they aren’t lacking in features. 

WHile the clip is all about small, and more power to them on that…  why can’t Sansa make something in a AA format with the memory, card slot, extra formats etc.  IN short an updated  M200?  

I suggest AA as they are more available than AAA, more interchangable with other gadgets, and for the slightly larger size they have 4x the capacity.

For nimh rechargeables the power rstio for leading edge AA/AAA batteries is 2.9( 1000 mah AAA, 2900 mah AA).

For alkalines the ratio is around 2.5. The AA is smaller in power per volume, as the AAA has more overhead per unit of power for packaging.

I mentioned AAA vs AA due to size constraints. While I would prefer AA, Sandisk is currently making some AAA players(Slotmusic, Slotradio TO GO) but without a display, and has made some with a display in the past. AFAIK, they have never made a AA battery based player.

A player based on an easily swappable(not soldered in) 18650 lithium ion battery would be cool. That battery has around two and a half times the power of a AA nimh battery but is only slightly larger. They retail for under $5 each, and a charger that charges one or two at a time retails for under $10. This might be easier for Sandisk to design around than A AA, since it is 3.7 volts, which is what the Fuze, Clip, etc. use. It would be interesting  to see a player that has 80+ hours of battery life and large flash memory storage(32 GB built in, and expandable to 64 or 96 GB) that still fits comfortably in a shirt pocket. I also want it to have 30+ mw/channel output into 32 ohms(and also provide decent output into 80 ohms) so that it can adequately power most full sized headphones without an additional headphone amp. It would be nice if the player also has a real line out.

Since the days of the first transister radios, fitting in a typical shirt pocket has been an important standard for portability.

Message Edited by JK98 on 09-01-2009 12:59 PM