Sansa Clip+ MP3-Player >> "Not enough space for music DB. Please free 90MB."

Hello, 

I too, have been getting the same error message (Not enough space…) on my Sansa Clip+ 4GB.

I am unable to try reformatting my player because when I connect to my computer, while it is recognized (not as SansaClip like it used to be, but as Removable Disk F: I cannot right click on the link to that drive. It locks up my explorer panel  - essentially just hangs and I have to force a close of my Explorer window. 

I have tried using a different computer with the same result.

I’m thinking that I could try to reformat using DOS, would that work? Is there something else I should try instead?

I am also confused on the whole MSC/MTP modes. I’ve tried connecting to my computer while holding the center button on the front of my player, but I notice no difference either in the players display or the way my computer sees the player. How do I know if I did it correctly?

Please help! I’m afraid it’s now a brick :cry:

If you have, or can borrow, another USB-miniUSB cord, from a camera or phone, try that. It could just be a cord problem.

In MSC mode, two drives should show up on your PC. One is the Clip, the other–Removable Disc–is the card slot. If there’s no card in the card slot then your PC could get very confused. Are you sure you are not trying to format an empty card slot?  

Another possibility: somehow your player’s USB mode got switched to MTP.

Disconnect it. Take out the microSD card if one is in there.

Turn it on.

Go to Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and make it MSC. Connect it and see if Sansa Clip reappears. 

I recently had this issue but maybe because I use Linux I was still able to mount the Clip and delete the excess files.  I’m not sure how Windows works but both Macs and Linux create a hidden folder .Trash-0000 where all your deleted files go so you can restore them.  This folder occupies space on your drive and must be deleted. 

This info worked great for me…so far…

I have a Mac and was simple, but I had to erase everything from the clip. Thanks, Theodora 

With a Mac, leave Settings/System Settings/USB set to MSC. 

Hi guys! I have Ubuntu 12.04 Linux on my PC and I had the same issue, “not enough space” message and my PC couldn’t see the sansa disk drive. When I plugged my Sansa there were messages:

May 10 13:53:06 ilia-gateway kernel: [13563.956532] scsi14 : usb-storage 2-1.2:1.0
May 10 13:53:07 ilia-gateway kernel: [13564.956272] scsi 14:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Sansa Clip+ 4GB  v01. PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
May 10 13:53:07 ilia-gateway kernel: [13564.956939] scsi 14:0:0:1: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Sansa Clip+ 4GB  v01. PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
May 10 13:53:07 ilia-gateway kernel: [13564.958365] sd 14:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
May 10 13:53:07 ilia-gateway kernel: [13564.958517] sd 14:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
May 10 13:53:07 ilia-gateway kernel: [13564.960390] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdb] 7683072 512-byte logical blocks: (3.93 GB/3.66 GiB)

I fixed this with gparted application which is kind of disk manager for Ubuntu. I removed the old corrupted partition table and created a new fat32 partition on the device /dev/sdb. I had my Sansa working after this formatting.

Hope it could help someone, even if you don’t have installed Ubuntu on your laptop you can try boot from an Ubuntu live disk from flash drive and try to fix Sansa.

Hi everybody.

In my case gparted changed partition table and this was the first step, program was still not able to format partition, i was back to pc and than format by the sd formatter. Now it’s done and the device working like a charm :slight_smile:

I was having also issue for “Not enough space for musicDB” on my Sansa Clip + MP3-player. Reset or formatting did not work with MSC disk management -tool because flash drive was not recognized at all correctly (it was visible, but not formattable).

What did work for me, was using NippurdeLagash’s solution (thanks!) from http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68311 :

• Remove external flash card from Sansa Clip player, if you have it 
    - Remove player from computer / usb cable
  • Start player with power button and instantly start pressing very rapidly middle button (the biggest button between arrow buttons) 
  • When you repeat previous step few times, you can get suddenly to main menu, instead of just seeing error message only ( “Not enough space for musicDB”)
  • When / if you get into main menu, format  the internal memory: navigate to Settings > System settings > Format > Yes (this will remove all your data “permanently” on player!)
  • Power off / on the player to see if issue was fixed

Hopefully this could help someone else too!

@surffi11 wrote:

I was having also issue for “Not enough space for musicDB” on my Sansa Clip + MP3-player. Reset or formatting did not work with MSC disk management -tool because flash drive was not recognized at all correctly (it was visible, but not formattable).

What did work for me, was using NippurdeLagash’s solution (thanks!) from http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68311 :

• Remove external flash card from Sansa Clip player, if you have it 
    - Remove player from computer / usb cable
  • Start player with power button and instantly start pressing very rapidly middle button (the biggest button between arrow buttons) 
  • When you repeat previous step few times, you can get suddenly to main menu, instead of just seeing error message only ( “Not enough space for musicDB”)
  • When / if you get into main menu, format  the internal memory: navigate to Settings > System settings > Format > Yes (this will remove all your data “permanently” on player!)
  • Power off / on the player to see if issue was fixed

Hopefully this could help someone else too!

Thanks for the tip!   :slight_smile:

I have the “not enought space” message. I tried the business about holding down the power button while repeatedly pressing the central button. It takes me to the radio, but I can’t get anywhere else from there, like the main menu. I’ve tried it on a number of computers, but it recognizes the clip as an external drive, not as a device. The sansa updater can’t find it when it is plugged in. Any suggestions appreciated.

Is it recognized as an external drive named SANSA CLIP?

That’s what you want. First, try error-checking. Right-click on SANSA CLIP, Properties, Tools, Error-checking. Sometimes that alone can fix the “Not enough space” glitch. 

Otherwise, just right-click and Format: , which will erase your added files.  

Unlike formatting your computer hard drive, it will NOT erase the Sansa firmware, which is in a separate hidden partition. 

If it’s not showing SANSA CLIP, then  with the USB cord plugged into your computer and Windows Explorer (Computer or My Computer) open onscreen, try holding down the << or center or >> button while you plug in the micro-USB connector.

That should force it into MSC mode and SANSA CLIP (internal memory) and Removable Disc should pop up in Computer.  

Then right-click on SANSA CLIP and do Error-Checking or Format: 

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the very clear instructions. When I click on “format” nothing happens. When I open properties (it recognizes the player as a “sanza clipp”), go to tools, and click on fix errors, that new little window fades a bit as if it is doing something, stays that way for a while, and then disappears, without anything changing in the mp3 player. So no instructions seem to be getting through. I tried your adive on two Windows 7 computers.

Any thoughts?

Ignore the other post! I clicked on format one last time. I thought nothing happened, went away, came back in fifteen minutes and the formatting  window had popped up. It went through its paces, and now the clip is working fine. Thanks so much…

1 Like

Hello

I have same problem with sansa clip+

I read all suggestion and than i tried two points

• reset > noting happen
  • msc > one time work than format not completed

Any other solution offer to me for stuck sansa or can use as a brick ?

Thank you in advance for

Did you try running ChkDsk/Error-Checking?

I finally got past this and found a fix.  I held down the power button until it got to the message “Refreshing your meida.”  That task never couldn’t complete, so the player stayed on until the battery failed.  Then I attached the Clip Player to a USB port on my Windows 7 PC.  Amazingly the PC once again recognized it as a valid device, and, from Windows Media Player I was able to reformat it  After that it worked normally again.

Now my player says:  “Not enough space for music DB. Please free 6MB.”

Before My Sansa showing this message,  I format my sansa with pc from FAT to NTFS Mode,than after copy & paste From pc to my Sansa.remove my clip from My Sansa its showing “System restart” it will Be restart it self  than showing  “Not enough space for music DB. Please free 6MB.” and am triying to connect to pc it says usb not recognized. how to delete my files ? how to See my sansa in my pc? once its connected am put previously mode NTFS to FAT.  i think thats is the main issue…so please guide me how to recover my Sansa player.am trying to connect USB mode MTP & MSC but no responce at all  please help me…

_ Now my player says:  “Not enough space for music DB. Please free 6MB.” _

_   _

Before My Sansa showing this message,  I format my sansa with pc from FAT to NTFS Mode,than after copy & paste From pc to my Sansa.remove my clip from My Sansa its showing “System restart” it will Be restart it self  than showing   “Not enough space for music DB. Please free 6MB.” and am triying to connect to pc it says usb not recognized. how to delete my files ? how to See my sansa in my pc? once its connected am put previously mode NTFS to FAT.  i think thats is the main issue…so please guide me how to recover my Sansa player.am trying to connect USB mode MTP & MSC but no responce at all  please help me…

Black Rectangle - ~Thank you so much for your solution.  Its now working as it should. :laughing: