Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Re: Sansa Clip Firmware Update

@Miikerman wrote:

This is all so odd--given the above, why wasn't the fix made?  Perhaps a concern over the lower battery duration, from a marketing perspective?

Could be the person(s) that wrote the fix got laid off.
 As far as being a "value" brand, they do have to pick what things they invest in.  But I can't help notice that of the other players people tested for comparison, none came anywhere near the error displayed by Clip and Fuze.  Do they really want the reputation of being "worst on the market by a long shot" wrt pitch?  
I'm curious to know if ANY other player at any price point has equivalent or greater error.  I don't know what other brand uses AMS chips or if that's a key factor.
Has anyone tested Fuze or Clip with Rockbox for this?  
 Speaking of Rockbox, a new release just came out with enhancements to pitch correction, and a tuner plugin that displays the note and cents error of the note coming in the microphone.  

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@niko_sama wrote:

Please Sansa don't take the easy way out when you already had a fix for this.

How meaningful is it to imply that a company is taking the "easy way out"?  Companies take the profitable way out.  That's what they do.  That's their meaning for existance.  Evidently, SanDisk decided that it would be more profitable to them to not release the pitch fix. 

Now some people are falling on the side of "gee I really want it but I'm not going to get it, that's too bad" while others seem to be implying that SanDisk has misled people through statements that imply that the audio quality of the Clip is better than it actually is.

To the former, I'd say that that's capitalism, and it's a bummer that things have turned out this way for you ... maybe you can sell your Clip on eBay and get one of those cheaper MP3 players with better audio quality.

To the latter, I'd say go ahead and make your case, but ... do you really have to make it here?  If you're thinking about some kind of legal action or whatever ... is a SanDisk-maintained user forum really the best place to do it?

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Its very possible it was a uninformed and understimated decision.   YES    the easy way out is post a statement that doesn't match the history about the issue.    Why on earth would you say due to Engineering trade offs.   When 7 months earlier a product engineer stated its fixible with little effect on battery life.    It doesn't add up.   Someone made the wrong decision.   plain and simple.

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

lol.   Yes I think this forum is the best place for it to appear.    I'd like a clear description why they didn't fix it when they already had done the work.  It defies logic.

This forum is also a feedback into Sansa, and I have every intention to voice what i think is important.   as far as you questioning me if this was nessasary,  its non of ur business what i do.     LOL

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

[ Edited ]

@PromisedPlanet wrote:

To the latter, I'd say go ahead and make your case, but ... do you really have to make it here?  If you're thinking about some kind of legal action or whatever ... is a SanDisk-maintained user forum really the best place to do it?

I'm not sure what kind of disinformation you are trying to start..    but whatever weed you are smoking to come up with this statement , i want some.     this made no sence to what i posted.  Where on gods green earth did you come up with this crap?

This stops here. This is not the place for arguments or personal attacks.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 09-24-2009 10:10 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

@niko_sama wrote:

@PromisedPlanet wrote:

I'm not sure what kind of disinformation you are trying to start..    but whatever weed you are smoking to come up with this statement , i want some.     this made no sence to what i posted.  Where on gods green earth did you come up with this crap?

This stops here. This is not the place for arguments or personal attacks.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 09-24-2009 10:10 AM

No attack was created with my statements.    Him infereing i was building a case and talking about something legal and no basis in my post and I still don't understand how he made that up from my post.    But since I have your attention.   Would you take back the question that begs to be answered.... 

Why did they shelf the work that had already ben done.    They have the fix..   They did tests on the fix.  They had quantifiable numbers regarding the fix.   7 months ago.     What happened?   I believe Sansa dropped the ball on this one and i can't understand the logic.     You had the fix..   Why not take care of your customers, and improve your product.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Thanks, niko_sama, for keeping things on point and pointing to the issues. 
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

@Miikerman wrote:
Thanks, niko_sama, for keeping things on point and pointing to the issues. 

^_^ smiles  I'm good Smiley Happy   I know its the hard question to ask our friends at Sansa,   And I know the people from Sansa that monitor this forum can only do so much,    But they are the ones who can get us the correct info.  I hope they don't feel picked on.    We depend on them and appreciate their efforts.

Slotmonsta,  SansaFix,  uSansa    we all love you Smiley Tongue

Highlighted

Yeah, we shouldn't shoot the messenger, this ain't Sparta.
Highlighted
Administrator

[ Edited ]

niko_sama wrote: 

Why did they shelf the work that had already ben done.    They have the fix..   They did tests on the fix.  They had quantifiable numbers regarding the fix.   7 months ago.     What happened?   I believe Sansa dropped the ball on this one and i can't understand the logic.     You had the fix..   Why not take care of your customers, and improve your product.

The improvement for this issue was never actually coded into the firmware. There was a potential improvement identified however this actually never made it in to the code. There is no elusive firmware that is sitting on the shelf. 
FYI, sansafix is no longer working with SanDisk. (If you will notice the VIP status was removed from his account and he has not posted lately) Some comments that were made, although well intended, may not have actually made it in to production.    

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 09-24-2009 04:12 PM