Sansa Clip Firmware Update

@niko_sama wrote:

I guarrentee this fix wasn’t rocket science.   Didn’t take a team of people to fix.  One person, with a request from sansafix.  Probably less than a  few hours, a change, a few calculations to verify, maybe a fine tune, some verification steps, and document it into the code base.  Your not building a new software product.   Your fine tuning ARM parameters for playback of 44.1k files, choosing a different output frequency? or stepping frequency.  Add to it a few coffee breaks,  some talking about the new clip+ project, some talk about the weekend, a break for lunch at the local barbeque.  An email to your boss.  Maybe a day’s work.

I agree this doesn’t seem like it would cost SanDisk that much in man-hours. Like you said, maybe a day’s work for 1 person. What do you think, a couple hundred bucks? Given that, I find it extrememly short-sighted (read penny-wise & pound-foolish) for Sandisk NOT to fix this.

But like I said earlier, we’re not privy to all that went into making this decision, so there could be other factors we’re not aware of. We’re not the CEO or the stockholders (well, maybe some of us are), so SanDisk does not have to explain or justify their business decsions to us.

Only a day’s work?  Throw in 1 or 2 more days to port the Clip+'s firmware improvements to the Clip, and I’ll be happy to start a collection to pay for the engineer’s time …   Heck, sell the firmware upgrade for $2 a pop and make a profit …

:wink:

This makes this all even more quizical–why not do it?  It’s cheaper than the repurcussions otherwise, I would think.   Once again, sigh.

when the fix is released for the clip+,  we hire a 15 to 18 year old genious hacker to compare the firmware’s and hunt down the changes, and fix the clip.   XD    Just joking D:

@miikerman wrote:

Only a day’s work?  Throw in 1 or 2 more days to port the Clip+'s firmware improvements to the Clip, and I’ll be happy to start a collection to pay for the engineer’s time …   Heck, sell the firmware upgrade for $2 a pop and make a profit …

This makes this all even more quizical–why not do it?  It’s cheaper than the repurcussions otherwise, I would think.   Once again, sigh.

Doesn’t the “fruit” company sometimes charge for firmware upgrades?

@tnmats wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Doesn’t the “fruit” company sometimes charge for firmware upgrades?

They have, yes.

@miikerman wrote:

There’s a very simple answer to your question Miikerman.

If they went ahead and did that, they would be back-pedaling on their statement that the problem would not be fixed, and through that, they would be admitting that they were in the wrong.

Actually, I think the door is still open, “as time permits.”

@miikerman wrote:

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.     Hopefully they will fix this before this follows them around and haunts them.

@niko_sama wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.     Hopefully they will fix this before this follows them around and haunts them.

correct me you think I’m wrong, but sansafix’s statment on march 19th (on behalf of Sansa) that there would be a fix to the pitch problem, while ‘specifically addressing’ this exact problem, and then Sansa absolutely reneging on that statement via a 'reevaluation months later could be a ‘breach of contract’ ( CORRECTION: promissory-estoppel) I am thinking this wouldn’t be a difficult suit to win and I know just the lawyer to file for me. What SanDisk needs to do is credit the msrp of the clip and apply it to a purchase of a clip+ if such problem has been remedied.( Correction: credit the purchase price of the clip and IF they have marketing brains, apply it toward a clip+)

btw, how fast is the clip v2? I see mention of v1 being .7%…   <<<ANYONE?

Message Edited by hakujin on 10-11-2009 08:36 AM

Indeed!  That’s just what we need!  How about this enthusiastic solicitor  as a prime choice for the man to write some useful code  for the Sansa, rather than yet another patently useless legal brief.  As you can see, he is quite comfortable with electronic devices already. 

I haven’t met a lawyer who knows much about technology, much less legal matters involving it.

My heartfelt recommendation is to brew some coffee, pop those earbuds on, and relax a bit.

Bob   :smileyvery-happy:

With all due respect, Bob, the first paragraph of your post seems a bit uncalled for.

As to the second paragraph, and again with all due respect, then you haven’t met many good technology lawyers.

IMHO.   And now, to that cup of coffee …

With all due respect, Bob, then you haven’t met many good technology lawyers.

;)   And now, to that cup of coffee …

@hakujin wrote:

correct me you think I’m wrong, but sansafix’s statment on march 19th (on behalf of Sansa) that there would be a fix to the pitch problem, while ‘specifically addressing’ this exact problem, and then Sansa absolutely reneging on that statement via a 'reevaluation months later is a breach of contract. I am thinking this wouldn’t be a difficult suit to win and I know just the lawyer to file for me. What SanDisk needs to do is credit the msrp of the clip and apply it to a purchase of a clip+ if such problem has been remedied.

btw, how fast is the clip v2? I see mention of v1 being .7%…

Message Edited by hakujin on 10-10-2009 03:32 PM

ROTFL!!!

Sansafix never said which Clip would be fixed! He probably could not reveal the in development Clip+ at the time.

So you’re going to hire a lawyer for a credit to buy another player? Don’t think it’s going to be very cost effective!

And the useless babble rambles on…

Still LOL!!!

It was posted in the original Clip forum, concerning the original Clip firmware–presumably, then, it was for the original Clip …

:slight_smile:

It was posted in the original Clip forum, concerning the original Clip firmware–presumably, then, it was for the original Clip …

:slight_smile:

Yep, and when the Clip+ got into developement, the Clip got the axe…and the rest is history.

@14124all wrote:
Yep, and when the Clip+ got into developement, the Clip got the axe…and the rest is history.

You’re absolutely right. Everyone should stop this nonsense about lawsuits, etc, and just deal with the player as is, or, as SanDisk themselves said, buy something else.:wink:

actuall bob, plenty do; heck, to be an intellecutal property lawyer usually requires an undergrad in science, but it’s moot since I’m not talking about a technology related issue, but a breach of contract. CORRECTION: promissory estoppel

So in essence, you’re telling us you don’t know many lawyers and not a single one that has any technological exp. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. :wink:

Also, it doesn’t seem plausible that anyone is going to write code to fix the problem this late in the game, I don’t see why you or anyone else would suggest it as a viable solution…

Message Edited by hakujin on 10-11-2009 08:33 AM

@14124all wrote:

ROTFL!!!

Sansafix never said which Clip would be fixed! He probably could not reveal the in development Clip+ at the time.

So you’re going to hire a lawyer for a credit to buy another player? Don’t think it’s going to be very cost effective!

And the useless babble rambles on…

Still LOL!!!

Are you really rolling on the floor laughing? Because if so, i would say you are VERY easily amused… People file more mundane lawsuits all the time.

As pointed out by Sansaconcern, Sansafix said:

On 19 March this year, SanDisk employee Sansafix said here: 

Pitch issue fix is feasible and will be in the next planned update,  likely within 2 - 3 months.

Now they’ve reneged. If in a class action lawsuit (for those affected by the pitch problem), they (SanDisk) couldn’t remedy the pitch problem, then they should provide (if they had a good marketing dept), an equivalent player that doesn’t have pitch problem. Seems simple… Why even muddy the issue with technological complexities (not you but previous comment). It’s not anything technlogoical that prevented this. Sansafix said it was feasible. Others have said it might take a few hours to a day. As others have attested, it’s a marketing/cost issue, and a pretty meager one at that.

Anyway in hind sight, this wouldn’t be a breach of contract case per se, but ‘promissory estoppel’

For example, if someone here were to have purchased the device, in this clase a sansa clip, and relied on the post by sansafix that the specific problem they have concern with would be fixed, then that should satisify this variable, EASILY, and Sansa should provide refund of device.I don’t know if a class action could be applied to this but I see no reason why not, so long as each person in that class action, can satifactorily prove they purchased the device based on Sansafix’s statement that it would be remedied. Perhaps a receipt of the purchase date, relative to the initial comment.

Anybody that cares about the problem, have a link to his specific comment? Please post it and/or take a screenshot and share it.

Insofar as the implication that he meant the clip+, I don’t think that hamhanded argument wouldn’t be favored in court. 

And I never said anything about ‘hiring anyone’. You presume too much… and yes, we do seem to be afflicted with ‘useless babble’ here…

Edit: Hmmm… I can’t seem to find any post by sansafix. Am I overlooking or did slotmonsta take them over or board administrator delete them? I think I remember a mention that Sansafix is no logner with sandisk, but I’m sure some of you who spend a great deal more time here are probably aware of his status and/or lack of posts. Nevertheless, there’s enough replies here, even starting on page 1, to satisfactorily prove that a fix was in progress to the pitch problem at the time the last firmware was put out, despite what ever house cleaning may or may not be at play here.

No need to debbie-down, I’m only here to help those that care, not debate the merits of whether you think Sansa does an adequate job.

Message Edited by hakujin on 10-11-2009 08:56 AM