Sansa Clip Firmware Update

@tapeworm wrote:

@niko_sama wrote:

To be honnest  we don’t know who said what within Sansa.   If the discussion is received at the right levels its very possible we will see a fix.    I think Sansa should be concerned about its quality and customers.   When the best you can do is be 20 cents off pitch and your competition can do way better, they better be concerned.  If there was a fix back in feb.   They should just get on with it and bring it out.   They have probably wasted enough time talking about it and no action.   You would be supprised how quickly something like this can be fixed if they want to take care of their customers. 

I agree 100% with everything you’ve said here, except your 1st sentence. Copying the original post from slotmonsta , I believe we can and do know who said what regarding this issue:

Over the last few days there have been several meetings with Engineering, Marketing, and Product Management regarding the pitch issue some users have seen. Please see below a statement regarding the decision that was reached as a result of these meetings.

(This was obviously written by slotmonsta)

At SanDisk, our goal with our Sansa MP3 product line is to provide products which deliver a quality consumer experience at price points which are accessible to the majority of the population.  Our “value” positioning has served us well historically, although we acknowledge that occasionally our products do not live up to some users’ expectations.  The issues raised on this Forum regarding sound fidelity are important to us however due to trade-off decisions that were made in engineering these products to deliver superior consumer value at what we believe are extremely attractive price points, our sound fidelity isn’t perfect.  We have re-evaluated the possibility of reducing the pitch variation and due to the engineering trade-offs the decision was made to stay with the current design. Very few listeners, however, have noticed or complained about it as an issue in actual practice.  For those who can detect sound differences with their naked ears during actual use and not via frequency analysis, our products may not be the best choice for them.

There’s no doubt a executive wrote or composed this. I get his (or her) meaning crystal clear.

Should SanDisk be concerned about it’s quality and customers? Absolutely YES!

Do they appear as though they do? Not by this statement, but we’re not privy to what goes on in those meetings and how decisions are reached.

Does SanDisk want to take care of it’s customers? Given the past interaction by slotmonsta in helping people get their RMA pushed through when they were having problems, I’d say some representatives of the company do indeed care . . . a lot. However, given the tone of the above ‘canned’ statement, it seems that sentiment is not shared all the way up the corporate ladder.

Actions do speak louder than words, after all.

I can’t help but think your being feed info from marketing only.   I have to ask myself why would marketing be involved in an engineering quality issue.      Engineering doesn’t require a bunch of marketing people to make a fix to fimware.

It just sounds like its comming out of the wrong department.  Since when did marketing have any say in bug fixes or improvements in Sansa’s firmware.    Go back and look at features and bugs that were fixed in the firmware press releases.   Engineering releases are technical not political.