Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.16

Okay, it finally loaded the firmware, but STILL freezing up!!! Apparently the firmware has nothing to do with stopping it freezing up!

Hairball wrote:
Okay, it finally loaded the firmware, but STILL freezing up!!! Apparently the firmware has nothing to do with stopping it freezing up!

No, it doesn’t. Freeze-ups during database refreshing are either caused by bad (or missing) ID3 tags or corrupted files.

Oh, I’m not talking about freezing during refresh, I’m talking about how it simply freezes up while playing music.  Since yesterday, it freeze upon power up.  After resetting 5 or 6 times it might finally come on, then freeze again when I push any button.  It freezes with the logo, and freezes when I unplug it from my computer with the “Disconnected” word showing and the battery bar still moving like it’s still plugged in.  I’m calling Sandisk at 8:00 this morning to see what to do.  Hopefully they are really in California.  I get really frustrated when I have to talk to someone in another country who I can barely understand and who needs me to repeat everything I say!

But yes, mine freezes in many different modes, and now won’t even power up at all.  But I did get lucky this morning because yesterday I couldn’t load the firmware after 8 or 10 tries, but this morning it worked.

I take that back: apparently it did NOT install like it was supposed to.  The screen said the unplug the unit and it will finish installing, but when I did, it froze up.  It will power up again after about 15 minutes and looks like it is working, but now I’m getting that same “try again later” error message.  I checked the version on my screen and it still says 01.01.05. so I’m guessing nothing updated.

Hairball wrote:
I take that back: apparently it did NOT install like it was supposed to.  The screen said the unplug the unit and it will finish installing, but when I did, it froze up.  It will power up again after about 15 minutes and looks like it is working, but now I’m getting that same “try again later” error message.  I checked the version on my screen and it still says 01.01.05. so I’m guessing nothing updated.

I would format it and then re-try updating the firmware. Note that formatting will erase all use-loaded content so you’ll have to re-transfer your music, but at this point it seems the least of your worries. Formatting will also optimize the memory.

I have is Clip+ with Version 01.01.05 and a Macintosh computer. 

I downloaded the updater (by clicking “Download Sansa Firmware Updater” link) and it is an exe file, not a zip.  So how do I extract the zip?  When I click on the file it asks me to choose an application to open it.

Also, I have followed the instructions several times for changing the mode to MSC and it doesn’t work.  It stays in USB. 

Dmeanr wrote:

I have is Clip+ with Version 01.01.05 and a Macintosh computer. 

I downloaded the updater (by clicking “Download Sansa Firmware Updater” link) and it is an exe file, not a zip.  So how do I extract the zip?  When I click on the file it asks me to choose an application to open it.

Also, I have followed the instructions several times for changing the mode to MSC and it doesn’t work.  It stays in USB. 

I don’t believe the Updater can be used with Macs. You should update the firmware manually, following the instructions in the 1st post of this thread.

Under Settings > System Settings > USB Mode you should have 3 choices: Auto Defect (which you should never use), MSC & MTP. For a Mac you want to select MSC by highlighting that line and pressing the center select button. You can then use the |<< button to back out or simply press the home button to go back to the Main Menu.

I have seen the Sansa “choke” on a corrupted music file, hanging up during either database refresh or during playback.  If you have recently transferred some new music, and the problem arises, suspect a corruption in those most recent transfers.

It’s always a good idea to have backup copies of your music.  Try removing the most recent transfers if that’s possible, and see if normal operation resumes.

Another option is to check the volume (the Sansa’s memory) for errors using the PC.  To do this, the device must be in MSC mode.  Starting with the device off, press and hold the center button while plugging in to force MSC mode.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Nevermind, I got it.  I had to turn the device off and hold down the center button to get it into MSC mode.  Then I had to use the firmware download for all regions (It actually downloaded in zip format) and drop that in the root.  

Message Edited by Dmeanr on 07-01-2010 09:36 AM

Unfortunately, there is still no possibility to use the shortcut (press & hold) to delete a song quickly !

it is very annoying to have to press :

botom

up

up

center

up

center

up

to delete a song when you use it a lot to keep only the music you like into the sansa clip+ !

I am running Windows 2003 Server and so can not use Firmware Installer.  I downloaded the clipplus01.02.15.zip file and extracted the two files however I can not copy the files to the root directory.  I can copy to the subdirectories but not the root.  Any ideas why?

Windows no longer recognizes Sansa Clip+  –  What to do? 

@codebris wrote:

Windows no longer recognizes Sansa Clip+  –  What to do? 

This really isn’t the topic of this thread; you should have found another more appropriate or started a new one but, have you tried switching to MSC mode on your player?

Was it recognized before? In what USB mode? Have you done anything that could have affected it, like installing updates on your computer or change any settings. Add any new hardware or software? Get a new anti-virus program? Change the USB port you had been using. For that matter have you tried the various ports on your computer?

> Enhancements:  French language translation updates

> Bugs Fixed:

> Next Song with long string disappears instead of scrolling once device is activated with Rhapsody

> French language translation updates

Hi, may I please get advice on whether to update my Clip+ from firmware 01.02.13 ?

The above-quoted enhancements and bugs fixed don’t offhand seem relevant to my use of the Clip+.

Should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks,

Sheldon

My personal beliefs?

Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke! If nothing in the update affects your usage or enjoyment of the device, leave well enough alone.

Maybe they’ll be soomething in the next update that enhances the way you use your player or fixs a bug that has bothered you. Unitl then . . .

Just Rock On, Dude!

My personal beliefs?

Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke! If nothing in the update affects your usage or enjoyment of the device, leave well enough alone.

Maybe there will be something in the next update that enhances the way you use your player or fixes a bug that has bothered you. Until then . . .

Just Rock On, Dude!

I’m one of those types who typically updates with new releases, finding that releases from well-established companies like SanDisk at the very least don’t hurt, and often contain bugfixes not even mentioned. 

Apparently High Volume setting is missing …

Can i go back to earlier firmware ?

Regards

The setting is there–you’ve just updated using a region (EU?) that bans it.

Reapply the latest firmware and choose a hi-volume-setting region (N America; Rest of World).  (I forget if this also works, but you may be able to do the same by selecting  “Reset all” under the Clip.)

how to go back to earlier firmware before update?

Regards