Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.09

@tapeworm wrote:

I’m sorry to see the lower volume steps (or more accurately the lack of same) while playing the FM radio wasn’t addressed. Nor was it listed as a known issue (which it certainly is).

I agree. I am strongly disappointed. This leads me to not recommend the Clip+ to my friends.

This is the first released update for the new Clip+.

Remember, there is a lead time between bug discovery, code development, testing, revision, more bugs (as they are invariably discovered with new code), QA, then final release.

Posts regarding the elevated FM gain appeared mid-stream.  The gain level can be addressed in the future, as it was with the previous devices.  With the Fuze and previous Clip, FM audio level is correct, and can be dropped to a low level, before the mute point.

The Clip+ is a new platform. Like anything new, it will receive the requisite tweaking, I am sure.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Remember, there is a lead time between bug discovery, code development, testing, revision, more bugs (as they are invariably discovered with new code), QA, then final release.

Posts regarding the elevated FM gain appeared mid-stream.  The gain level can be addressed in the future, as it was with the previous devices.  With the Fuze and previous Clip, FM audio level is correct, and can be dropped to a low level, before the mute point.

The Clip+ is a new platform. Like anything new, it will receive the requisite tweaking, I am sure.

Doesn’t really mean that much anymore since this is a repeating pattern throughout the history of sansa players.

d_headshot wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Doesn’t really mean that much anymore since this is a repeating pattern throughout the history of sansa players.

Ouch! :dizzy_face:

The Clip+ operating system is a hybrid of the Clip and Fuze.  Though similar, they have different hardware, like the OLED display versus the TFT display of the Fuze, video, a docking port, and different control mapping.

The gain settings of the Clip were problematic when the Clip was released originally.  If you don’t play the device at low settings, the problem doesn’t surface.  It’s logical that in the office environment at SanDisk, there aren’t many staff planning to take a nap, even though it sounds like a good idea.  Listening takes place at nominal levels.

I’m not upset that the issue wasn’t noted, as the wee Clip+ plays along just fine from mid-scale upward.  I didn’t think of trying the limit myself.

The beauty of field-upgradeable Sansas is that a firmware update takes only a few minutes to load to the device.

Meanwhile, I think I’ll have a listen…

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

Actually, it takes 5 seconds for the file to copy and another 20 seconds for the flash.

True, the actual process is mere seconds.  I had to include fiddling with the computer, locating the firmware thread, download, and transfer.  Oh, and finding the USB cable in the pencil cup, plus remembering which jacket pocket has the wee Clip+ in it…

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@saratoga wrote:

@dihenydd wrote:

My largest gripe, although not clearly stated before is with the way the product is marketed (so to speak*).

15 hours playback and ogg vorbis support.

Now, although they state that the reference is 128kb/s mp3 you would still expect no more than say 2 hour loss of battery life from other formats. Like I say I’d settle for 5 hours loss.

Now, has anyone (including Sandisk) ever got one of these to play for 15 hours? I’d doubt it. It’s probably a theoretical maximum rounded up.

I’ve put a good bit of time into optimizing Vorbis decoding in Tremor (which I believe is the decoder Sandisk uses).  If someone at Sandisk is interested in fixing this, i’d be glad to give them (for free) some code under suitable license for incorporation into a commercial product.

Sandisk, I know you’re reading this. Please take him up on this!

neutron_bob wrote:

The Clip+ operating system is a hybrid of the Clip and Fuze.  Though similar, they have different hardware, like the OLED display versus the TFT display of the Fuze, video, a docking port, and different control mapping.

The gain settings of the Clip were problematic when the Clip was released originally.  If you don’t play the device at low settings, the problem doesn’t surface.  It’s logical that in the office environment at SanDisk, there aren’t many staff planning to take a nap, even though it sounds like a good idea.  Listening takes place at nominal levels.

I’m not upset that the issue wasn’t noted, as the wee Clip+ plays along just fine from mid-scale upward.  I didn’t think of trying the limit myself.

The beauty of field-upgradeable Sansas is that a firmware update takes only a few minutes to load to the device.

Not to rub against the grain, but this is (in my opinion) a pretty weak argument and reflects badly on SanDisk and their attention to detail. The fact that the original Clip had FM gain issues out of the gate should mean that this issue would be the absolute  1st thing that would be checked on the new version of the same player long before it gets released.

Secondly, your suggestion that the QA testing takes place in an office envirionmnet, if correct further disparages the SanDisk folk’s attitude toward selling a quality product. I would seriously hope that testing of new products are taken more seriously and run through their paces for several weeks by a variety of different testers with different listening habits, under varying conditions and in different environments, in and away from the office. That’s called ‘field testing’, and it’s just got to be done, and done thoroughly, or something is bound to come back and bite someone (in this case, SanDisk) in a most painful location.

Yes, the beauty of field-upgradeable players is that an update can be performed in only a few minutes, but when thousands of unhappy owners of these products have to wait months to get that most basic fix that shoudn’t have been required in the first place, it does leave a bad taste in their mouths and certainly will affect their buying habits and influence the likelyhood of a favorable referral when the opportunity arises.

Personally, I rarely listen to the FM radio, so it doesn’t affect my use of the device. But the fact is many do, and I can see where this would be most irritating. This ‘fix’ (again, just my opinion) should have been Priority 1, ahead of any other ‘tweaking’ with the development team, given the fact that they let it slip by them in the initial QA stage and untold thousands, or millions of units are now in user’s hands. How embarrassing.

They (SanDisk) was able to lower the ‘maximum’ volume and tee off countless users in their effort to be EU-compliant; they should have also been able to lower the ‘minimum’ volume level for everyone else at the same time.

Hi Just wanted to say thanks to those who gave the info on how to get the Normal and High volume back on my Clip+

I wanted to use it to listen to music in the car through the radio, but it was so quiet I had to have the radio on full volume just to hear music vaguely in the background. I have an mini amp, a FiiO E5 which made the music on my Sony Ericsson Satia listenable at long last, but it had no real effect with the Clip+. No idea why that should be. But, since following the instructions some kind people left on here to install the American version, I now have the Normal and High volume which means it works perfectly in the car.

Thank you.

In the update, the “skip forward” and “skip back” buttons do not work when listening from the AudioBook folder. Works when listening to to the Albums folder.  Has anyone else struck this problem and is there a fix?

“In the update, the “skip forward” and “skip back” buttons do not work when listening from the AudioBook folder. Works when listening to to the Albums folder. Has anyone else struck this problem and is there a fix?”

Yes. While playing an audiobook, press the button at 6 oclock, then choose to enable chapter mode.

I am not that unhappy about mp3 players volume limits by default - lots of kids get their hearing permanently damaged nowadays.

But it should be possible to circumvent by the more knowledgable users, just like in this case. ■■■■■ for the European iPods, heh heh

Just choose US or Worldwide when doing a firmware upgrade, and viola!

Cruiser wrote:

I am not that unhappy about mp3 players volume limits by default - lots of kids get their hearing permanently damaged nowadays.

But it should be possible to circumvent by the more knowledgable users, just like in this case. ■■■■■ for the European iPods, heh heh

Problem is, lots of kids ARE the more knowledgable users. :wink:

Cruiser wrote:

Problem is, lots of kids ARE the more knowledgable users. :smileyvery-happy:

Any chance that the next update give us ID3 tags v2.4 support ?

aSynchro wrote:
Any chance that the next update give us ID3 tags v2.4 support ?

I believe v2.4 is already supported, although some have reported it’s not perfect. V2.3 is still the over-all favorite ID3 tag format.

I did notice what i think is a bug: if you have shuffle on when you try to “play all” on a list of podcasts it will shuffle them too. The music settings should not effect podcast playback.

mmmbye wrote:
I did notice what i think is a bug: if you have shuffle on when you try to “play all” on a list of podcasts it will shuffle them too. The music settings should not effect podcast playback.

If your podcasts are stored in with your music in the Music folder then yes, they’ll shuffle along with everything else. They should be in the Podcasts folder and also be designated as ‘Podcast’ in the ID3 tag. This will prevent them from being caught up in the mix.