Sansa Clip Firmware For Hardware Revision 2.0

Follow the instructions below to verify the hardware revision of your Clip before proceeding. 
  • Turn on your Clip
  • Select Settings from the main menu
  • Select System Info
  • Look at the Version #

Revision 1 = 1.XX.XX (example: 1.01.29)

Revision 2 = 2.XX.XX (example: 2.01.16)

If your Clip is Revision 1 click here

If your Clip is Revision 2 proceed to the following instructions.

SanDisk has just released the 02.01.16 firmware revision for the Sansa Clip. Download links and the release notes are available below.

Let me start off by saying that majority of people will be able to update his/her firmware through the Sansa Firmware Updater. There is even a how-to video that explains the process. If for any reason the aforementioned steps do not work for you, then please feel free to continue by trying the more "computer savy" steps, described below.

Windows
Users can Connect the device in any Mode and follow the instructions below.

Mac and Linux users can connect their Clip in MSC mode and follow the instructions below.

MSC mode instructions:

1. Turn on the Clip
  2. Put the device in Hold (move Hold button until orange is showing)
  3. Press and hold the Center Button
  4. Plug the mini-USB connector into the device (be sure the USB is plugged into the computer)
  5. Wait for the Clip drive to mount
  6. Follow instructions below and drag files to the Clip drive

For AMERICAS - You can download the .zip file by clicking on this link.

For EUROPE w/o FM - You can download the .zip file by clicking on this link.

For EUROPE w/ FM - You can download the .zip file by clicking on this link.  

For HEBREW w/o FM - You can download the .zip file by clicking on this link.

For HEBREW w/ FM - You can download the .zip file by clicking on this link.

1. Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
  2. Extract the .zip file into a folder on your computer.
  3. Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip.
  4. Disconnect the Sansa Clip and let it restart.
  5. The firmware update will now begin.
  6. Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will boot back up. Once its back to the main menu, head to "Settings" > "System Info", and verify the "Version" is now 02.01.16A.

Sansa Clip (Revision 2) Firmware 02.01.16 Release Notes

This new firmware has various bug fixes, including key fixes listed below, as well as enhancements. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off.  Power on the device to complete the upgrade process.  If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 10 seconds to reset the device and then release and press again to restart.

Enhancements:

• FLAC decoder support 

Bugs Fixed: 

• Rhapsody icon gets cut after press and hold buttons during playback
  • Device shows “disconnected” sometimes after unplug from AC adapter / charger

Known Issues:

• Continuous record & save without playing back or turning off device will eventually cause the device to hang & go to Voice Record (if it’s done prior) after reboot
  • Cannot playback recording after record full due to lack of space for database rebuild
  • Add to GoList does not work for Podcast content
  • The play/pause icon is missing momentarily after deleting an audible
  • Repeated songs in playlist does not playback properly
Message Edited by SansaMe on 10-02-2008 04:40 PM

Message Edited by Lil_Monsta on 10-03-2008 11:23 AM

Message Edited by Lil_Monsta on 10-03-2008 12:00 PM

Message Edited by Lil_Monsta on 11-05-2008 02:53 PM

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 12-18-2008 09:43 AM

May I ask - is revision 2 the new model?  And if so could you tell us how the hardware differs?

Ok, I extracted the bin file to my computer, put it on the root of my Clip, but the firmware didn’t update. Maybe I missed a step? I use Linux, btw… All I did was connect my Clip to the computer, drag the bin file to the root of the Clip, then unmount/unplug the Clip. At least that’s how it usually works… Is putting the Clip in “hold” absolutely necessary? I only have 2 hands :stuck_out_tongue: Also, my Clip is already set to MSC mode. Any help would be appreciated!

you used the right version?

Yes, I did.

@summerlove wrote:
you used the right version?

Pass then, the hardware revision 1 update worked fine for my 2gb and 4gb clips.  Don’t have a revision 2 version to test…

2 Bug fixes and FLAC is all that is in this update?  Really??

Well, I was able to upgrade to the 1.0 revision, but 2.0 still won’t work. Can someone PLEASE help?

@sasafrass452 wrote:
Ok, I extracted the bin file to my computer, put it on the root of my Clip, but the firmware didn’t update. Maybe I missed a step? I use Linux, btw… All I did was connect my Clip to the computer, drag the bin file to the root of the Clip, then unmount/unplug the Clip. At least that’s how it usually works… Is putting the Clip in “hold” absolutely necessary? I only have 2 hands :stuck_out_tongue: Also, my Clip is already set to MSC mode. Any help would be appreciated!

If your firmware starts with 1  you stay with version 1 firmware

If your firwmare starts with 2,  you stay with version 2,

Theres no changing from 1.xx.xx to 2.xx.xx

OK, I’m officially confused.

This thread lists a later fw revision than the “Revision 1.0” thread but lists less enhancements and bug fixes?

01.01.30 has:

Enhancements:

FLAC decoder support

Allow Podcasts to skip episodes using FF / REW

New startup and shutoff images

Improved the time to rebuild the metadata

Improved M3U playlist support

Enhancements for sorting Podcast contents which do not have their track number ID3 tag information

Separate missing license error message for Audible and generic Audiobooks.  Message changed to instruct the customer in how to resolve the problem

Bugs Fixed:

OGG placed in Audiobook or podcast folder shows up in Music directory

Delete song from a long playlist causes the device to hang

Selecting “Back to Music List” while playing FM/Voice recordings will display double “Play All” on screen & will cause device to hang upon selecting “Play All”  

Certain tag information for mp3 files will cause the device to hang or freeze 

Made  OGG file Tags not case sensitive

Noise problem on voice recording

Device in MTP mode will jump back to AutoSelect mode after UI format

Device behaves erratically when file extension got changed (i.e.  .txt to .mp3, .jpg to .wma)

All Audiobooks should show 1/1 if Chapter Mode is OFF

Certain Rhapsody tracks show clicking noises

Deactivation message “Synchronize to listen to your Audiobooks” for Audible is uninformative and irrelevant 

Known Issues:

Selecting Playback speed to “Fast” while playing Podcasts may cause the device to lag.

• Add to GoList does not work for Podcast content

02.01.16 has:

Enhancements:

Enhancements:

FLACdecoder support 

Bugs Fixed: 

Rhapsodyicon gets cut after press and hold buttons during playback

Deviceshows “disconnected” sometimes after unplug from AC adapter / charger

KnownIssues:

Continuousrecord & save without playing back or turning off device will eventuallycause the device to hang & go to Voice Record (if it’s done prior) afterreboot

Cannotplayback recording after record full due to lack of space for database rebuild

Add toGoList does not work for Podcast content

Theplay/pause icon is missing momentarily after deleting an audible

Repeatedsongs in playlist does not playback properly 

Version 2 devices already has the aforementioned fixes in place from Version 1 release notes,  except the new ones listed.

As shipped,  version 2 had fixes not yet released to Version 1.

Both versions are now in sync.

Message Edited by sansafix on 10-03-2008 01:16 PM

I’m confused as well… Isn’t the 2.0 revision supposed to be an upgrade from the 1.0 revision? I don’t understand. Why can’t I install the 2.0 revision?

Because 2.xx.xx is for different hardware PCB version…

What is PCB?

@sansafix wrote:

Because 2.xx.xx is for different hardware PCB version.

Printed Circuit Board.  The electronics inside your Clip are assembled on a board. 

I don’t own a Clip, so I may not know what I am talking about, but just in reading the threads on the subject it seems to me that:

Just like in the e200 series, there are 2 different (hardware) versions of the Clip. And separate firmware updates for each. You cannot upgrade from Vers. 1 to Vers. 2 just by installing the v2 f/w.

The V2 players had improved f/w (when it came out) that fixed (partially) some issues they were having with the Version 1 units. So the firmware updates released today addresses different issues in each version, but after updating makes them virtually identical in bug fixes & features, etc.

If I am speaking ‘through my hat’ and have this completely wrong, please forgive and somebody correct me.

Ok, but how do I know which one I have? Is that the reason for the different bin file name?

@sansafix wrote:
Printed Circuit Board.  The electronics inside your Clip are assembled on a board.

I would recommend reading the first post, it answers your questions sasafrass

Thanx, I think I understand now.

@summerlove wrote:
I would recommend reading the first post, it answers your questions sasafrass

@sansafix wrote:

Because 2.xx.xx is for different hardware PCB version…

What is the diference between version 1 and version 2 hardware (not firmware)?

I have a version 1, and with the latest (29a) firmware, I still have problems:

• distortion in voice recordings (low level noise and spikes)
  • turning on after having paused half way (or so) into an hour long mp3 sometimes starts it in play mode (most of the time it come on in pause).
  • Turning it on in pause as before, it shows in pause at the beginning of the selected audio file instead of where I left it. This also has the unique property of not playing when pause is toggled. I can  see the icon change from play to pause and back, but it just won’t start. The only way to cure this is to move to another mp3 - either forward or reverse - and then back to the original and then it will play as usual.

Does version 2 hardware/firmware address any of these issues?

My Sansa (2 GB black) was purchased in March of 2008 at Best Buy. If these improvements have been made on the latest hardware (especially the voice recording), then I will exchange it for a new one (I have an extended warantee).

How can I tell the difference between the two hardware versions without opening the package?