Sansa Clip Firmware For Hardware Revision 1.0

Tapeworm; there is no reason to be upset or angry.

Buyers opinion is important. Market is war - good products are sold and the bad are not. If someone is satisfied with one of the Sandisk players there is no reason to go for other brand. He will stay with Sandisk in the future. It’s in Sandisk interest to please the buyer, that’s why they want the feedback on their products (I hope so). If they sell, they make money. No need to thank Sandisk for such a great product - they sell and you buy -as simple as that. If they don’t sell, they’re gone. This is cruel fact.

It’s also in Sandisk interest to expand the market - to get as many buyers they can. If one pearson decide not to buy Clip because of the lack of folder browsing - who cares. But if 1/3 of the buyers decide to go for Philips GoGear SA2820 (similar price) which has tags and folders? This could be the problem. That’s why buyers opinion counts.

You wrote:

‘‘If you want folder-browsing, you yourself have said that plenty of players have it. Why don’t you just get one of those?’’

I hope Sandisk woud disagree on that statement.

I am just trying to say that it would be nice to have folder browsing. It’s just my humble opinion. I won’t bother this forum on that matter in the future.

Oh my God Thank You sansateam for making this the best MP3 player on the market! Flac finally! no more transcoding into lossy formats! My in ear monitors can finally shine! Thank youu, as promised I am going to buy a couple of these as gifts for xmas!

Ok, I have updated all three of my Sansa clips to the new firmware, and promptly hosed them all.  NO songs will show on the players at all.  The files are in there; I can access them from Windows, and play them in Windows, through the player, but NO file shows up in the Sansa display window.  This has happened on all three players.  I have formatted and started over, to no avail.  Help!!!  I now have three completely useless Sansa Clip 2 gb players.

Sincerely,

Gary

How many times someone have made this question? I think is time for a fixed post, titled “No, your files are not gone, just switch USB mode, please” or “Please, make a search before you post a question” or “If you too important to read instructions, at least browse your menus to see what are for, pleeeeease”. Or open a “Too FAQ”…

@gboisseau wrote:

Ok, I have updated all three of my Sansa clips to the new firmware, and promptly hosed them all.  NO songs will show on the players at all.  The files are in there; I can access them from Windows, and play them in Windows, through the player, but NO file shows up in the Sansa display window.  This has happened on all three players.  I have formatted and started over, to no avail.  Help!!!  I now have three completely useless Sansa Clip 2 gb players.

Sincerely,

Gary

What is the format of the songs?  And do you have their ID3 tags filled in?

I use Sansa Clip 2GB EU four months, and found this bugs:

1. No support fo russian letters in M3U playlists. Playlist with russian song names shows as <Empty>.

2. Some playlists sometimes shows as <Empty>, after format this playlists shows normally.

3. Sometimes playlist stops at any song, and “<<” & “>>” buttons don’t work.

4. Plastic clip cracks on 2 month of using my Sansa.:cry:

Message Edited by De_Cadanz on 10-23-2008 03:20 PM

When I attempt update using the sansa updater, it downloads the update just fine and begins

the firmware update, then stalls at 10%.  Any help is appreciated. 
I have tried the manual download and update

but the clip will not accept any drops to it other than non root folders.

Thanks

@tweb wrote:

When I attempt update using the sansa updater, it downloads the update just fine and begins

The problem you described with the Sansa Updater sounds familiar.  Try it again after a reboot.

Regarding not being able to load the firmware directly onto the Clip, you must have an old version of the firmware that didn’t enable UMS mode?  Otherwise the Clip would show up under “My Computer” as a “removable disk”.

@promisedplanet wrote:

@tweb wrote:

The problem you described with the Sansa Updater sounds familiar.  Try it again after a reboot.

Regarding not being able to load the firmware directly onto the Clip, you must have an old version of the firmware that didn’t enable UMS mode?  Otherwise the Clip would show up under “My Computer” as a “removable disk”.

Right, is does not show up as a removal disk, but just as the player itself. 
This was a warranty device I just received a few weeks ago.

When you say reboot, meaning PC or clip?

Thanks

@tweb wrote:

When you say reboot, meaning PC or clip?

PC.  I think.  It’s been a while since I had the same problem, but basically I repeated the process, and it worked.

If you haven’t tried forcing the Clip into MSC (UMS) mode, though, this might be easier … then you can copy the firmware file into the root folder manually.  To force the Clip into MSC mode, move its power/hold switch to the hold position, then hold down the center button while plugging the Clip into your USB port.

Thanks, that alone allowed me to use the Sansa updater to update the firmware.

Rdow wrote:

Found one “Bug Fix” I hate:
     All Audiobooks should show 1/1 if Chapter Mode is OFF 

What is the logic here?  I liked it showing me I was on file 17 of the 27 that make up the book, gave me a good sense of where I was in the book made up of multiple files.  Now to get that back I have to switch to chapter mode where an accidental hit of the FF/RW buttons will skip me to another file?

Please change this feature back!  

sansafix wrote:

Rdow,

No worries if you accidentally skip to another file,  you can skip back and your place will be remembered.

Sorry for that.

Well, I’ve given this a try and there is a problem.  If you accidently hit the back button you are taken to the start of the current track so there is no remaining bookmark to get you back to where you were.

I’d gladly stay out of “Chapter mode” if the screen would just still show me the file number (e.g. 3/7) as it did with the previous firmware.  Perhaps the next version could give that feature back, and still differentiate the two modes by only putting the word “Chapter” on the top line when in chapter mode.

Well I just got my 8GB Clip yesterday and I’ve been playing with it for a bit. It’s quite good I think.

I also upgraded the firmware, as the one on it wasn’t the latest. I must say I would’ve liked the “Hello” and “Goodbye” better as well.

I found one little bug:

When you listen to music and plug it into the computer and do stuff (like putting new music on), then unplugging it again and continue to use it without restarting, then the backlight of the buttons doesn’t come on anymore until you either restart the Clip or (apparently) turn on the screen by pressing a button and waiting until the screen goes black. If you press a button after that again, the lights for the buttons are back up. I’ve had this bug twice now, once when plugging in the USB cable when music was playing and once when it was paused.

I hope it was clear enough. I’m using the 8GB European Clip with FM, the auto-detect mode for connecting to the PC, and Winamp to transfer and edit files.

Well, I’m excited to start using the Clip outside some time and see how it fares.

On another note: This board doesn’t work with the latest version of Opera. Or at least the text box doesn’t, it’s quite annoying. Now I have to always switch to Firefox. I hope this gets worked on at some point :slight_smile:

@rdow wrote:

I’d gladly stay out of “Chapter mode” if the screen would just still show me the file number (e.g. 3/7) as it did with the previous firmware.  Perhaps the next version could give that feature back, and still differentiate the two modes by only putting the word “Chapter” on the top line when in chapter mode. 

For what little it’s worth, I’m with you on that. I now have to count myself, track by track, to know where I am, if I want to listen to music for a while instead of to an audiobook, and come back to where I left without having to go through a dozen files, searching for the right one.

Of course, a function that would automatically bookmark where you left within a folder, instead of just within a file, would be even more helpful.

Can anyone that has upgraded tell me which FLAC compression levels are supported? Specifically, I use 5 for all of my albums. I’m comparing a few models for my work out unit and don’t want to have to convert every album I want for exercising.

Edit: Also, does it support embedded cuesheets or just separate files?

Message Edited by mramige on 11-18-2008 08:10 PM

A function to bookmark where you left within a folder would be very nice. The latest firmware doesn’t even remember your last track after a sync.

Rdow,

Next revision will put it back the way it was.  

All FLAC compression levels are supported.

We have added the bookmark current segment to our list.  It might not make the next release.

SansaFix

Message Edited by sansafix on 11-19-2008 10:20 AM

does it support embedded cuesheets or just separate files?

no. i tried using cue sheets with a single flac file and nothing. I just FFW about a 1h 20m file

are there any plans to change the voice encoding to something much smaller even MP3 would be better. WAV is so bulky.

Sansafix, thanks for being so responsive to your customer’s feedback and for continuing with the firmware revisions! :smiley: