Sansa Clip Firmware For Hardware Revision 1.0

This is usually caused by a switch between MTP and MSC modes.  Try changing the USB mode in the settings and connecting in the other mode.

Thanks rdow! The clip is now back to normal and I think switching modes from auto detect to another mode and back again did the trick although I’m not 100% sure as I alos tried several other things, all before getting your post. I’d be interested to hear if switching modes worked for the other guy with the same problem. Thanks again.

Thanks! My Clip is back to normal too! I also tried several things before getting this post, but I know that one of them was switching from auto detect to another mode and back again. I’ll bet that’s what did the trick.

What about the folder support. I hoped it will come in this version.

Seems to me very simple, just add it to the Music menu: Artists, Albums … Folders

I think it is very important. Sometimes I collect single songs from different artists

and put them in a folder. Since I use MSC mode I don’t want to create a playlist

and the only way to play them in a sequence is by Folder support.

This is the way it is done in the cheapest players around and something I am used to

from previous players.

Uri

I would like to be proved wrong, but find it unlikely that folders will be coming to the Clip.  SanDisk just seems to dislike them, even though they are a basic, simple, universal technology.

@uri wrote:

What about the folder support. I hoped it will come in this version.

This is the way it is done in the cheapest players around and something I am used to

from previous players.

Uri

Note that I am not endorsing nor condemning this function. I am perfectly happy & comfortable with the tag-reading that the Sansas do, but I understand that there are a lot of people that want this option.

Maybe SanDisk wants to distance themselves from the players that you describe for the very reason that you state.

Just a thought.

In 01.01.30A version of firmware, pressing DOWN key while playing an AudioBook brings up a menu, one of whose entries allows you to “Delete Book”. This only deletes a single sound file, not the whole book, but it is a bit confusing. It is especially so when you are playing the book with Ch. Mode turned on, in which case you are conceptually playing an individual “chapter” and expect “Delete Book” to delete the whole collection of chapters, not just the single chapter you are playing.

Upgrade was easy and works well. Looking forward to using FLAC.

Chapter Mode is the equivalent of the rarely used Index function in standard audio CDs.  Thus, you aren’t playing an individual chapter file (the function is to support Audible .aa format files), the display is showing the current indexed chapter.

So, “delete book” is simply deleting the current file loaded.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Upgrade was easy and my Clip works well.

Thank you for new firmware :slight_smile:

Hmmm, just comes to my mind… what about a .cue file support in the next firmware?

(I hope there’ll be one… :slight_smile: )

@neutron_bob wrote:

Chapter Mode is the equivalent of the rarely used Index function in standard audio CDs.  Thus, you aren’t playing an individual chapter file (the function is to support Audible .aa format files), the display is showing the current indexed chapter.

So, “delete book” is simply deleting the current file loaded.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Yeah, I understand all that. Wouldn’t labelling the feature “delete chapter” when appropriate make the UI much less confusing, though?  That is what I was alluding to…

Okay, I’m a little concerned now. I have the same problem redcow was having. I have changed the USB settings to MTP, connected, disconnected, reset to AutoDetect, and reconnected and disconnected again. Still no change; in Windows I show everything there, but the Sansa does not recognize anything. What am I doing wrong?

Whoops, seems to be okay now. I’m not sure what stars aligned, but my tunes and book are back, and that’s what’s important. Yes, it does seem to start much more quickly than before.

@rdow wrote:
What is that shape/logo that comes on at the start after the word “sansa” is displayed?  Also shows up briefly before the “goodbye”.

I just figured this out.  It’s supposed to be the (new?) Sansa logo, which is four fat "S"s in a circle.

I think they could remove a few pixels, there.  :wink:

Tapeworm’s post:

'‘uri wrote: What about the folder support. I hoped it will come in this version. This is the way it is done in the cheapest players around and something I am used to from previous players.’

‘‘Uri Note that I am not endorsing nor condemning this function. I am perfectly happy & comfortable with the tag-reading that the Sansas do, but I understand that there are a lot of people that want this option. Maybe SanDisk wants to distance themselves from the players that you describe for the very reason that you state. Just a thought.’’

I must to disagree on that. Folder browsing is more basic function than cheap players privilege. All my previus players had this function and also had tag-reading. My girlfrends Philips has folder browsing and I wouldn’t call it cheap mp3 at all.

I am very satisfied with my Clip (2G) in almost all aspects (great sound, cute look, custom EQ,…). Still, I would add folder support and made some changes to EQ preset settings - I would remove classic and pop EQ (I hope no one is really listening music with those settings) and add function to save one or two custom EQ settings.

I hope I won’t be treated as hostile Sansa forum member.

My guess is that folder support is not something desired by the majority of the target Sansa market.  People want to hear a song by a particular artist, or a particular album.  A lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a folder *is*, let alone organize their music into folders.

I’m not saying it’s not a nice thing to have, just that it may not be worth Sandisk’s time and money to put it into the firmware.

@promisedplanet wrote:

A lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a folder *is*, let alone organize their music into folders.

I was precisely thinking that a lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a ID3 tag *is*, let alone have their music files properly tagged.

I’m a strong supporter of the tag-based browsing, by the way. My only problem with tag browsing is the poor handling of compilation albums. For me, this would be completely ‘fixed’ (so to speak) with the addition of ‘Album Artist’ tag support (hear me! hear me!!..) and then I’d be 100% happy with my clip (currently I’m 99.5% happy).

Regards

@porio wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

A lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a folder *is*, let alone organize their music into folders.

I was precisely thinking that a lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a ID3 tag *is*, let alone have their music files properly tagged.

Sure, but you don’t have to know what an “ID3 tag” is to browse by an “Artist”, or an “Album”, or a “Song”, or a “Genre”.  And the average user is going to have their music files properly tagged when they rip their CDs with WMP, or when they buy a song from Amazon.com or Rhapsody.

@promisedplanet wrote:

@porio wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

Sure, but you don’t have to know what an “ID3 tag” is to browse by an “Artist”, or an “Album”, or a “Song”, or a “Genre”.  And the average user is going to have their music files properly tagged when they rip their CDs with WMP, or when they buy a song from Amazon.com or Rhapsody.

There’s a person on the Amazon Community for audiobooks who listens to a lot of podcasts, and has tried all sorts of players, including the Zen and Fuze, and likes the Rockbox 3.0 e280 v1 the best, because he can navigate by filename.  Here’s a quote about the Fuze: “I wish the player would display the file name and provide a file structure that can be navigated.”  Just one person, but experienced, and shows the use is for podcasts, which are notorious for being inconsistently tagged.

I think adding folder browsing to firmware is a piece of cake and costs nothing - all cheap players has it. No need to remove ID3 tags option, just add one more browsing option. So, if all the other MP3 players (or most of them) have this option I would like to ask if there is a particular reason not to put it in Clip firmware. If someone is smart enough to turn on the Clip and play the song, to connect it to the computer and load the music, to browse by artist, album or title or whatewer, or smart enough to upgrade firmware by Sandisk instructions there is no reason not to add the folder option. If someone does not know what a folder is… I guess this is not the right reason not to have folders on Clip.