Sansa Clip Firmware For Hardware Revision 1.0

In response to the previous poster, my Clip was 1.01.29 and the startup time was an average of 7.2 sec, shutdown 3.75 sec. After upgrading to 1.01.30, startup is about 8 sec, shutdown is about 3.5 sec. So it does take a little longer to start up, but less to shut down. I have about 50 songs, and a few radio and voice recordings: 4GB Clip, 3.5GB free.

One thing I do LOVE is that the hold switch is designed perfectly. This is one of the problems with the PSP because they have the same slider-type: slide to turn on, slide to turn off, and push down to hold. Whenever I push up, I push to far and the whole PSP turns off! I love how the Clip makes you press up for a second before it turns off so no accidental turn-off. Nice implementation Sandisk!

Flac support is great. My whole music collection is flac encoded and I really appreciate it that I don’t have to trans-code anymore.

It is a quantum jump in sound quality with my in-ear earphones.

Many thanks to the developers!

BTW this must be the smallest DAP with flac support.

I updated to 1.01.30a today, and it wiped out all my settings and songs on my clip.  Did I do anyting wrong ? Or is this normal ? I have done firmware updates before with no issue, Thanks for any help.

Applying a new firmware should not interfere with the data area on your Clip.  Unless formatted, your music should be there, at least from a device navigation standpoint.  If you change USB modes, it will look like your music has “disappeared” on the PC, as files transferred in one mode (MSC / MTP) are not displayed while in the other mode.

Look on the device for your music, and it should still be available.

The cool new logo is outstanding on the Fuze.  With its color LCD screen, the word sansa now appears in a large font, rotating and exploding into a zillion color pixels.  These pixels coalesce into four color shapes, which are s and a.  The middle of five characters is a black n.  The wee square is the new sansa logo.  If you run the Sansa Updater, this interface just received a major updating to its interface.  The new logo is there too.

This was the closest approximation possible using the OLED display.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a firmware port to the e200v2 series, taking advantage of its identical processor.

At the moment, I still enjoy the classic SanDisk sansa logos on it.

Hopefully, we can add the animated sansa logo to the Fuze as displayed on the corporate side of the site.  Now THAT will be very cool indeed.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

The cool new logo is outstanding on the Fuze.  With its color LCD screen, the word sansa now appears in a large font, rotating and exploding into a zillion color pixels.  These pixels coalesce into four color shapes, which are s and a.  The middle of five characters is a black n.  The wee square is the new sansa logo.  If you run the Sansa Updater, this interface just received a major updating to its interface.  The new logo is there too.

This was the closest approximation possible using the OLED display.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I figured the logo was something like that.   And I understand the value on the development side to keep as much similar as possible between firmware families… but it is just FUGLY on the clip and I actually thought something had gotten messed up on my upgrade; it looked like some strange distorted flower with a square black center.

Thank you for FLAC support!!!

I don’t have to convert my collection when I want to listen to it on my clip anymore! hurray!

-mlapaglia

Thanks for the new Firmware!! The continuing improvements are always appreciated.

However, I was wondering about the

• “Improved M3U playlist support”

What is the improvement, exactly? The issue with the absolute/relative paths still seems to be there.

Also, PLEASE consider the Album Artist tag support for the next firmware!! I will not get tired of asking for that. And besides many practical reasons for it (the better handling of compilation albums, for example), I would invoke the fact that it is the default Artist sorting criterion in Windows Media Player, selectable (very easily) in Winamp as well.

Dear Sansafix,

thank you for new firmware, great job.

But I really miss one feature. Usually I hear audiobooks splitted in many chapters.

It would be great to see which chapter holds a bookmark like this:

Chap. 1

Chap. 2

*Chap. 53 (with bookmark)

Chap. X 

Otherwise (in case I switched to music and back to audiobook)

I have to remember which was the last chapter I was listen to.

Ede

Get a Netlibrary account and you will not have this problem.

Good idea for future enhancement though.

I agree that is a great idea if we can’t get a real, per book bookmark.  Would definitely be a big improvement.  I hope it doesn’t seem like we are complaining, we’re just trying to give suggestions to make the best audiobook player even better.

Not really a realistic suggestion – “get a Netlibrary account and you will not have this problem”.  Many libraries don’t offer it and offer Overdrive instead, or don’t have a good selection of books.  Also many people buy books on CD and rip their own mp3 files or buy mp3 disks from places like Audiobookstand.com

Nice Firm-update, thanks a lot.  

Unfortunately the equalizer still does not work in the radio mode. (Europe)

But there will come out the .31 soon?..:stuck_out_tongue: 

cellosolo

The FM radio is feeding an analog audio signal after the digital section of the Clip.  You’re listening to a different internal chip.  The EQ is actually digital, and is part of the Clip’s digital processor.

So, FM is a direct signal, and can’t have the EQ feature.

Bob  :wink:

THX!

Awesome update first of all :smiley:

For the next firmware revision, please add Replaygain support for ogg/flac/mp3. Flac and ogg store the replaygain values the same way; and for mp3, support for reading the metadata.

My Proposal:

Something like this allows maximum flexibility for the user:

fb2k rg plugin 

So based on the playback modes and the playlist of the clip instead…

Replaygain [submenu in settings and music settings]

Feature                    -> On/Off [ENABLE/DISABLE ENTIRE FEATURE so they don’t have to set ‘none’ for everything]

Normal [submenu, settings for each category]

[Play] Song          -> Album/Track/None [replaygain tag to use]

[Play all] Music
[Play all] Artist
[Play all] Album

[Play all] Genre
[Play] Track

Repeat [submenu, settings for each category]

[Play all] Music
[Play all] Artist
[Play all] Album

[Play all] Genre
[Play] Track

Shuffle [submenu, settings for each category]

[Play all] Music
[Play all] Artist
[Play all] Album

[Play all] Genre
[Play] Track

Examples:

*User selects a single song from the Music->Songs->{song}, the clip would use the Song value depending on the mode.

*User selects a single song from the Music->Artist->(Artist Name)>(Album)->{song}, the clip would use the Track value depending on the mode.

*Assuming shuffle/repeat off, user selects “Play All” in Music->Albums->“Play All”. RG value used would be Normal_Album,assuming it’s set to “Track” the clip would use the “Track” RG value.

Let’s say that song finishes and goes to track 2, since it’s still in “Play All” Albums, it uses Normal_Album again and “Track”.

Let’s say right before the song ends the user manually selects an individual track from a random album. So we use Normal_Track, assuming it’s set to “Track”, it uses “Track” RG value.

**So the user would be able to use Track RG value when selecting Play All in albums, and be able to use Track RG value when switching to a random song.

**So the settings above would let the user choose exactly what he wants.

Since shuffle overrides repeat it’ll just ignore it when it’s enabled.

Hopefully what I wrote is understandable lol :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think this would be too hard would it? Before a song is played or selected - do the Pre-play check, select setting to use, read setting then read tags, and adjust output gain.

Message Edited by KCE on 10-11-2008 03:47 AM

Help Please! I updated the firmware as directed and as I have done before. Everything went smoothly and quickly, as usual. However, when I turned on the clip after updating, all of my albums, songs etc show EMPTY! However, the  storage shows 1 gig out of 4 remaning as before the update and when I open the device on my computer, all of my music and audiobook files show up. What happened and what should I do? I tried holding the switch up to reset the divice but to no avail. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

redcow

KCE considering the small amount of memory available on the clip your suggestion might be a little excessive

I think that just supporting ReplayGain without any preference should be a good start. Or a simple preference to turn it On/Off. Nothing more for the first version.

lol yea you’re probably right. I get carried away sometimes. :smileyvery-happy:

I am experiencing the same problem as redcow. The firmware update went smoothly, but when I turn on the device, no music is available - everything shows empty: albums, songs, artists, etc. When connected to my computer, the music is there, but not on the Clip. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I’ve never had this happen when updating firmware before. Help!

This is usually caused by a switch between MTP and MSC modes.  Try changing the USB mode in the settings and connecting in the other mode.