Sansa Clip Firmware 01.01.35 & 02.01.35 Release

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tnmats wrote:
One thing I see missing is improving the 44.1kHz sampling rate playback accuracy.  I take it that hasn’t changed with this revision?

I can’t say for sure, as I don’t have an original Clip anymore. But here’s some results others have had, starting with post #6http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53437. Like I said, I can’t confirm any of these findings…so your mileage may vary.:wink:

I updated my v2 Clip (8GB Clip), and ReplayGain does show up in the Music Options listing, with “Off”, “Song” and “Album”.  I don’t remember if it was there before as I never use Replay Gain but R/G is there now.

Now for the accuracy.  Things have improved.  I took some lab measurments and I’m pretty confident in them.  I have access to a nice Tektronix 1GHz digital scope, and to make it more fun the thing had it’s yearly calibration a few weeks ago.  I’m a mixed signal IC design engineer so I’m used to taking these kinds of measurments.

I found some MP3 files, 128kB, CBR, mono, with frequencies at 100Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz and 10kHz.  I checked their accuracy with the output of my PC’s audio and they’re dead-nuts-on those frequencies with my PC.

With the new firmware, I get the following:

100Hz plays at 100.3Hz (standard deviation 0.017Hz)

250Hz plays at 250.6Hz (standard deviation 0.024Hz)

1Khz plays at 1.003kHz (standard deviation 0.37Hz)

10kHz plays at 10.02kHz (standard deviation 2.9Hz)

Error as a percentage:

@ 0.3% fast @ 100Hz

@ 0.24% fast @ 250Hz

@ 0.3% fast @ 1kHz

@ 0.2% fast @ 10kHz

With the previous firmware, the same player, with the same 1kHz sound file, sampled at 128kb/44.1kHz, yieled 988Hz, a 1.2% slow playback.  Just for grins I took a measurment with my old Creative Zen Nano, a 1GB player powered off a AAA alkaline.  That unit plays 1kHz as 1.0003kHz, 0.03% error.  The Clip isn’t at that level but it got a lot closer.

Sandisk has indeed improved the pitch tolerance at least with V2 hardware.  Previously my player was about 1.2% slow and I could easily hear the difference.  My “solution” was to create an all-new library of MP3s from my CDs at 192kb/48kHz (I had all of the WAV files of my CDs already extracted so I was able to skip a step).  I’ve been using 48kHz sampled files as the Clip does a good job at 48kHz, more like sub 0.1%. 

Something has definitely improved for 44.1kHz sampled mp3’s, and what’s kind of humorous is now the player is marginally fast but it’s a lot closer to ideal.  That’s great!  I will need to give it a listen with 44.1kHz material and see if I hear it more on-pitch with 44.1kHz sampled files.

Why Sandisk didn’t mention the speed improvement in the firmware update listings is puzzling.  This is a BIG improvement and they should tout that.  I have to give them credit and they should at least toot their own horn a bit after all the griping about it last year (and yes, I was one that griped and don’t regret it).

Message Edited by tnmats on 03-16-2010 02:28 PM