Sansa Clip+ 8GB won't show all music, play or delete on PC

Yesterday I connected the player up to my pc to delete some songs and add some new ones. All was fine until I went to add a song that has been on my computer for a very long time. When I tried to copy that to the Sansa music folder, it said I couldn’t copy it and that is when my player started acting up.

Now  when I load the music folder, I get a bunch of icons that look like the ‘internal memory’ icon before it shows my music. But then it only loads up to letter T and even then, it skips the letter S and only shows 3 songs from the letter T. It won’t even let me play anything out if the folder either. If I click on any song in that folder to play it, I get the following error message…

Can’t play. Try playing something else. The file’s format may be unspoorted, the file extension may be incorrect or  the file may be corrupted.

I can’t delete any of the songs or even any of those icons because it tells me my player isn’t connected. I have tried changing the MSC and MTP settings and that doesn’t help.And neither does the Factory reset. I think it’s the **bleep** windows media player. I think it screws it up when it tries to sync my player w/ it.

My player works just fine in my car. I have a stereo that has the USB port on it, so I can connect my player up to it. No problems there.

I really don’t want to reformat, but will if I have too…Does anyone know why this happens? Is there a solution w/o reformatting? 

@happenn wrote:

I think it’s the **bleep** windows media player. I think it screws it up when it tries to sync my player w/ it.

It’s been known to happen. Which is why the mosst experienced users don’t mess with it or MTP Mode. They use MSC and manually copy their files onto their players. It’s really not as big a deal as some make it out to be. :wink:

@happenn wrote:

I really don’t want to reformat, but will if I have too…Does anyone know why this happens? Is there a solution w/o reformatting? 

I would just bite the bullet and re-format. Yes, sometimes it’s a pain to re-load everything but it’s not that big a deal, especially if the formatting works and everything is back to normal again.

I don’t us WMP to transfer songs, I do so manually. It’s just that whenver I connect my player, WMP has to get involved. Surely there must be a setting where I can turn that feature off.

I had to reformat my player last year for something else that happened. It’s a PITA because I have music all over the place on my computer.

Thanks for the reply though.

@happenn wrote:

I don’t us WMP to transfer songs, I do so manually. It’s just that whenver I connect my player, WMP has to get involved. Surely there must be a setting where I can turn that feature off.

Use MSC Mode, not MTP. That’s what gets WMP involved.

But, having said that . . . your computer can only see files loaded in 1 mode at a time, so after you re-format switch the player to MSC mode (Settings > System Settings > USB Mode) and then re-load your files onto the player. Otherwise, it can get really confusing. And don’t use the Auto Detect setting. That defaults to MTP mode if it detects WMP is on the system.

1 Like

Thanks…I have had to reformat my player 3x today. Everytime I thought I had found a solution and started uploading my music back on, it would get so far and then tell me that I didn’t have permission to move the song over from my computer to the player.

I was just able to move over most of my songs and got to the letter S and it stopped. It wsa saying the same thing, that I didn’t have the permisson tro move the songs  over to the player. Why, I don’t know. These are all songs I had in my player before. So I thought that maybe I had it open for too long and I unplugged the player. When I checked the player, it said it was empty. I plugged it back in and when I got to the internal memory icon, it said that 2 GB of my storage was in use, yet when I went into the music folder, it was empty. I came back here and saw your post, so I am going to change the setting to MSC mode, it was previously on auto detect. I hope that seriously helps.

And btw it wasn’t WMP, it was Groove that was causing the sync issues. So I deleted the program and changed my setting so even WMP can’t sync w/ my Sansa.

Thanks so much for you help, I will report back after chaging  the settings and see if that helped at all. Fingers crossed!!!

So question…I just switched it to MSC mode. When I did that and went back to open it, it’s different. What I mean is that the icon is no longer the little black player, it is replaced with a icon of the internal memory. And Clip is spelled with 2 P’s. When I open it, I don’t get the internal memory icon telling me how my GB my player is and how many GB I have left. It just goes straight to the folders which are named w/ all caps. I assume this to be normal? I only ask because it is a different setup than I am used too. I will try and move songs over though and see what happens.

This worked!!! Thank you VERY much!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Unfortunately the day after I did this, my player went kaput. It was working on Friday, except some of the songs that I moved over from my PC to the player, got corrupted. They play fine on my PC but on my player, some of the songs I just heard a repeated clicking noise or some were just like the last 2 seconds of a song repeated over and over again.

Now it won’t turn on and my computer won’t even recognize it. I thoght maybe the battery was just completely 100% drained,  but it has been plugged in for 2 days now but my pc still won’t recognize it and it won’t fully turn on. After doing a hard reset and then turning it back on, the Sansa logo pops up and then the icon and then it shuts off. Sometimes after all that pops up, a bar will be on the bottom of the screen that is only about ¼ full, but that just sits there and doesn’t move.

I have done reasearch and found others with the same or similar problem, and tried solutions offered to them, but those didn’t work for me. So I think my player is done for and I’ll just have to replace it.