Sansa Clip+ 4GB + adata 32 GB micro SD class10 problems

I bought the sd card today without realising there was a problem using class 10 cards. However, despite hours of searching and trial and error i haven’t found a thread addressing the problems i am experiencing.

It’s difficult to convey exactly what is happening. I’ve had the ‘empty’ problem when i tried to load several GB of folders and files at once. And i’ve had the ‘hanging during refresh’ when using the MTP transfer option.

But using the MSC transfer, and uploading one folder at a time, seems to work OK for maybe 10 or so folders and subfolders. But then adding another folder may make it - or a different folder - or a number of files from a folder - disappear from the ‘external uSD card’\MUSIC folder on the Clip. When i connect back to the PC, the folder that has disappeared from the clip is still shown in explorer, but if i open that folder, all the music files are gone.

As i said i’ve already spent hours at this, so if someone can tell me what’s going on and how to fix, i’d be very grateful.

The easiest way might be, assuming that you want to continue to use this card (and not replace it with a Class 4 or 2 card), to install and use the alternative Rockbox firmware, available at rockbox.org

Note that the player can get wonky with a large number of files (over around 6000-8000) bit it sounds like your player is going wonky well below that. 

Thanks for replying. You seem pretty sure it the class10 that’s the problem? You’re correct, we’re only talking 100 files or so, but the Clip seems to partially work, which seems puzzling…

Would changing for a class4 card definitely sort the problem?

I guess the rockbox firmware would be the most parsimonious solution, but is there a downside to that? Can it be uninstalled?

I have to say it’s absurd that sansa can’t make a firmware that works and their customers have to resort to a third-party to exploit an important sansa selling feature. And this problem is a widespread one that seems to have persisted for some years.

Well, i spent a few more hours installing and getting the hang of rockbox. Loaded some files and folders on to the clip+ and on to the sd card. Everything seemed to work fine, so i copied my entire collection on to the sd card. It took another couple of hours. Then i unmounted the drive and navigated to <microsd1> and selected it… nothing. I remounted the clip and looked in the sd card directory and it’s completely empty. About 16gb vanished.

This really is about the most frustrating couple of days i’ve spent trying to get a simple feature to work. Can anyone help, please, or would i do better to take my woes to the rockbox forum?

Edit: ‘Properties’ in MyComputer show 16GB used on the sdcard drive. So they are still there. But they do not show up on the clip+, in the PC drive when the clip+ is mounted or if i mount the card in an adapter straight to my pc.

The files that don’t show up were transferred in a different usb mode. When the player is connected, only files transferred in the currently set usb mode will show on the player on your pc. Files not showing means they were transferred in the other usb mode. Boot the player to the original firmware(hold down the left button while turning it on). Go to settings, system settings, usb mode and change the setting. if it is set to MSC then set it to MTP.  Connect the player. Delete all the files you see on the player  and on the card. Disconnect the player and set the usb mode to MSC then reconnect. Keep the player on MSC mode which is needed for Rockbox. Now you will have only MSC transferred files on the player. Add additional files to the player and the card.

1 Like

Thanks, i appreciate the response. But i finally ran the card under h2testw and it showed up all sorts of errors - in the clip+ and in the adaptor. I’d have tested it sooner, but for all the reports of issues with the clip+.

Anyway, I’ll bear your comments in mind when the (class 4) replacement arrives.

Well, the class 4 card has arrived and gives very similar error results in h2testw.

OK both cards are from ebay, but they were both ‘brands’ (adata and kingston) in retail packaging that appears authentic.

I tested both cards in the Clip+ and also ‘directly’ to the PC (via micro ->SD adapter ->USB adapter.

Could anything other than two duff cards be happening here?

@autolycus wrote:

Well, the class 4 card has arrived and gives very similar error results in h2testw.

OK both cards are from ebay, but they were both ‘brands’ (adata and kingston) in retail packaging that appears authentic.

I tested both cards in the Clip+ and also ‘directly’ to the PC (via micro ->SD adapter ->USB adapter.

Could be counterfeit. Is the dealer you bought from on eBay from China or are the cards shipping from China? There are so many countfeit or fake cards being sold on eBay these days, it’s really not worth risking it to save the couple of dollars you might save vs. another source like Amazon or others.

@autolycus wrote:

A company that has the resources and factory to manufacture fake memory cards couldn’t possibly afford to order packaging and to buy a desktop printer to make fake labels :) 

Don’t ever buy flash memory on ebay.  It all looks real, but probably isn’t.  Thats the scam.  

I very much take your point. Revewoh, i’ve been amazed over many years at the way quite sophisticated internet scams seem to be undermined by poor attention to such detail. Perhaps it’s time to revise my opinions.

Anyway, my next card is from amazon - over 600 product reviews and 4.3 out of 5 stars - so i epoh that will be the end of this saga.

(Revewoh and epoh are spelt backwards because the letter h followed by a letter o is not allowed)

@autolycus wrote:

. . . (Revewoh and epoh are spelt backwards because the letter h followed by a letter o is not allowed)

Funny that you mention this; the system would not let me use the word “although” yesterday, when I spelled it without the “ugh” at the end (and then wouldn’t let me use the word “although” itself!) . . . .

@miikerman wrote:

@autolycus wrote:

. . . (Revewoh and epoh are spelt backwards because the letter h followed by a letter o is not allowed)

Funny that you mention this; the system would not let me use the word “although” yesterday, when I spelled it without the “ugh” at the end (and then wouldn’t let me use the word “although” itself!) . . . .

There was a problem the last 24 hours with the censor filter trying to block all the spam we’ve been seeing here lately. I believe it is resolved now . . .

although

thought

without

holding

hoarding

Edit: Yep. Fixed!

And even, altho!

Reminds me of that (possibly apocryphal) story from the early days of robocensoring when loveable chimney-sweep **bleep** Van **bleep** was transmuted to ‘Jerk Van Gay’ :slight_smile:

Oh… I see we now get bleeps. That’s 20 years of progress for you!