Sansa Clip 01.01.29 Latest Firmware Download

Thanks SanDisk for the OGG support on the CLIP!  I was just getting ready to give up on OGG and start to use MP3.  I’ve always wanted a CLIP, now I can go shopping for one and give away my old MP3 player!  Any plans for other SanDisk players to support OGG?

FLAC and Ogg have been announced for both Clip and Fuze:

Ogg Vorbis and FLAC coming soon!!

omfg, sweet!!! i knew if enough people wanted it, sandisk would listen

Linux does have support for MTP players, both rythmbox and banshee-1 have MTP player support plugins.

Now, for some reason, they don’t seem to work with sansa clip players, at least in my ubuntu 8.04 home desktop. I’m asking in the ubuntu forums, perhaps there’s a workaround for this.

Also, this is my +1 for FLAC support. Cuesheet + single-file-per-album-Flac support would raise the level of Sansa Clip awesomeness even higher. In the 4G model I bought I could fit 12 full CDs which would be really more than I expected to have anyways.

Thanks

Message Edited by ari on 07-08-2008 10:42 PM

Ari:

Does Linux support MP3 players in MSC Mode or actually support MTP Mode? 

Tweet, MSC mode is of course supported in Linux, the media player devices are automatically mounted as mass storage USB devices, and you can use the file manager to drop the music.

I see that MTP is also supported, as all most popular music players have an “MTP Player plugin” of some sort. However, I am new to this and haven’t find the way to make the Clip work in MTP mode. Before the Clip I had an iPOD which was also perfectly supported.

For example, see this the below for a reference of MTP in Linux

http://wiki.banshee-project.org/Main_Page

… and I just found this nice site where both MSC and MTP Sansa modes are described in a Linux environment:

http://www.micahcarrick.com/05-21-2008/sansa-view-ubuntu.html

…apparently a couple of extra libraries are needed to get MTP to work in my default Ubuntu 8.04 desktop. I will give this a try.

The good thing about using MTP with rythmbox and banshee is that if you drag and drop a flac song, they will convert it automatically and on the fly to mp3. 

Message Edited by ari on 07-07-2008 12:00 AM

Message Edited by ari on 07-07-2008 12:01 AM

Message Edited by ari on 07-08-2008 10:41 PM

Give me a FLAC I will buy everyone I will give gifts to this year with the 4gb sansaclip if it has flac! come on sansafix! you can do it!!:smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by RadiatedAnt on 07-08-2008 01:18 PM

So excited about FLAC support! It definitely shows SanDisk wants to make their player the best around, and listens to the customers. Keep it up, guys, and your faithful customers will spread the word.

This clip is an absolute beast. I hooked it up to a monster system at a house party last night to play my mix, after a friend’s laptop died, and it sounded so much better than the same quality audio files on an iPod.

I just hope that the next firmware update let’s you:

1. Turn off the screen while charging and connected to the PC (just use the regular power-saving settings for this)

2. Play and navigate through music while charging through USB.

It’s definitely a big frustration not being able to play the thing through AC, and wasting all that battery life, and a bigger frustration to be wasting all your screen life just charging the thing up.

Message Edited by ExOmni on 07-09-2008 06:06 PM

Right now, the screen in fact shuts off while charging via USB, after about an hour (I wish it was much less, though).

And when charging via AC, you indeed can play the Clip (perhaps you just misspoke there).

Hello, I was having trouble with my sansa clip mp3 player it would freeze when it would start to refresh, but thank you for your instruction on how to update my firmware it works perfectly, thank you

I have another problem. I connected my clip with usb cable to computer, and he just dont want to turn on. I tryied everything, it doesnt working. I connect him while hold button is on, and then turn powerr on = NOTHING, i tried to connect him while button is in middle and same again. I just dont know what to do. He started to behave like that when i tried to update firmware, but it wasnt even installed on computer, cuz i was getting a message "unable to install new hardware blabla… probably cuz i have XP SERVICE PACK 1…

afterall he doesnt want to turn on… i tried to connect my camera with computer via same usb cabl, its working, so he is good. What to do?

Have you tried it:  on switch in hold position, and then hold the center button down while connecting the USB cord between Clip and computer?  You need both sides of this.

FLAC–Nice!

Will it be gapless playback? Maybe FLAC is gapless on all players–hardware as well as software–not sure as I’m only familiar with software players.

@kcsunapee wrote:

Will it be gapless playback? Maybe FLAC is gapless on all players–hardware as well as software–not sure as I’m only familiar with software players.

I wouldn’t count on it.  FLAC is inherently gapless, but the player would have to read and buffer the next track before the end of the current track for there to be no gap.  If it doesn’t load the next track until the current one has ended then there will be a gap due to file access delay.  Something tells me the Sansa players don’t prebuffer the next track, but I could be wrong.

I’ve completed a 2nd test of the battery life, & the results are NOT GOOD. This was done under the same conditions as before, & it lasted just over 13 hrs, which is LESS than the first test I did(13 hrs, 45 min)!!! I’m sorely disappointed about this. I sincerely hope the next firmware fixes this problem, which I’ve once again proven to exist. I want my 3 hrs back!!!

I’ve tried it a few times, but I fall asleep before the Clip runs out of juice.  The Clip wins!  Its battery lasts longer than mine.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I only get about 11 hours out of mine with the 20 firmware- which is O-K for a $50 DAP with awesome sound quality. If it drops after upgrading to 29 though…I’ll have a problem. (And if I had formerly gotten 17 hours, like Sassafrass did, and lost 4 hours…I think I’d be worried too)

Running with Rhapsody tracks, 160KBPS WMA DRM, the processor is busy enough, and I still run past 12 hours without issues.  If I’m listening to an audiobook at a slower data rate, the thing acts like it’s fueled by plutonium.

For travel, I’m going to fabricate a wee 5v regulated USB power supply for my Sansas.

Then I’ll be ready to climb Mt. Everest with music the whole trip.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

First, Love the clip, love the support you give it.  One recommendation for the firmware though. 

Stop me if you’ve heard this one… I searched and only found one post regarding a different model, same idea.

Current behaviour - When charging if the unit is disconnected, the firmware updates the DB and starts the unit in play mode.

Recommended change - After updating the DB and such, either power off, or power on in PAUSE so if unattended, it will power off.

So many situation lead to bad results.

1.  Charged it the night before a 5  hour flight.  Last thing before bed I yanked it and tossed it in my bag.  Pull it out on the plane… no battery.  D’oh!  This was my first lesson.  Now I know I have to look at it and power it off or hit pause.

2.  Plugged it in to the PC to charge.  Shut down the PC at the end of the day.  Next morning, it’s at half battery because it’s been playing to noone all night.  (Having it’s own little party without me.)

I don’t see the bonus in the current logic.  I’d rather have to hit a button to make it play (or power on) after pulling the plug.  Then it’s consistent in all situations.  Whether it was charging or just sitting on the table, you power it up to listen to tunes.

Here’s the thread of the other guy with a different unit talking about the same issue.  He got some goofy responses due to his description (and maybe his tone of entitlement.)  Me, I’ll adjust and still love the unit.  But everything else in the firmware is logical and user friendly so I thought I’d toss out the suggestion.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=e200&message.id=19019&query.id=22225#M19019

Message Edited by Down2TheC on 07-26-2008 07:39 AM

I’ve been using a clip for months and have never seen the behaviour you are describing, either when charging off the computer or wall charger.  I always pause whatever I’m playing before charging and it stays that way after unplugging.

Did you have the unit playing while charging on a wall charger?  I could see where that might have it keep playing when you unpluged it… but you would not be seeing the DB update message.

When unplugged from the computer the clip rebuilds the DB and doesn’t even know what song to play.

Maybe you somehow hit the play button when putting the clip in your bag?