Sansa Clip 01.01.20 Latest Firmware Download

SanDisk has just released the 01.01.20 firmware revision for the Sansa Clip. Download links and the release notes are available below.

Let me start off by saying that majority of people will be able to update his/her firmware through the Sansa Firmware Updater. There is even a how-to video that explains the process. If for any reason the aforementioned steps do not work for you, then please feel free to continue by trying the more “computer savy” steps, described below.

Windows Users can Connect the device in any Mode and follow the instructions below.

Mac and Linux users can connect their Clip in MSC mode and follow the instructions below.

MSC mode instructions:

1. Turn on the Clip
  2. Put the device in Hold (move Hold button until orange is showing)
  3. Press and hold the Center Button
  4. Plug the mini-USB connector into the device (be sure the USB is plugged into the computer)
  5. Wait for the Clip drive to mount
  6. Follow instructions below and drag files to the Clip drive

For AMERICAS - You can download the .zip file by clicking on this link.

For EUROPE w/o FM - You can download the .zip file by clicking on this link.

For EUROPE w/ FM - You can download the .zip file by clicking on this link.

1. Extract the .zip file into a folder on your computer.
  2. Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip.
  3. Disconnect the Sansa Clip and let it restart.
  4. The firmware update will now begin.
  5. Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will boot back up. Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” > “System Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 01.01.20A.

Release notes for Sansa Clip Version 1.01.20

Issues addressed:

1. Fixed device hang at refresh database with certain ID tag Genres
  2. Corrected FM Scan step to 200Khz for Americas Players
  3. Fixed Device Hang at refresh database after WAV files are renamed and put in FM Folder.
  4. Delete invalid MP3 files showing up after transfer from MAC Computers.
  5. Put a check next to the selected USB Mode in Settings>USB Mode

Enhancements:

• Ability to add a song to the “To Go List” works by pressing and holding the " Center Button" in Navigation mode. Users can add individual tracks to the “To Go List”, on the fly, when navigating at the Song level. In Albums, Artists, Genres, Playlists, Top Rated, etc. Additional press and hold will remove existing songs from the “To Go List”. Selecting the “To Go List” itself,  users can delete a song using press and hold method.
  • Volume range is extended 10 steps (-15 db) at the lowest setting to allow quieter playback of MP3 and FM radio.
  • FM Autoscan Algorithm is enhanced to collect valid stations more accurately.
  • Battery level indication with finer granularity on the LCD.

Message Edited by MrSmileyFace on 03-06-2008 10:01 AM

Thanks for the changes.  They are appreciated.

For future consideration:

1. ogg-vorbis support
  2. FLAC Support
  3. Bookmarking of mp3/ogg/flac files

Brian

I have another change that wasn’t on the feature list…

I believe you will also find that the Refresh Database is (assuming a nearly full Clip) about 8-12 seconds faster than `18 was. I have 2 Clips and timed it side by side with identical >1.8GB payloads on each. I did this a few times to prove to myself it’s real…

Hey, that’s ~10 seconds of my life I just got back, every time I change content!

Normally, I’d lurk around this kind of forum. but I had to register to thank you guys for keeping on top of the firmware, and actively listening to suggestions from Clip users.

Is it possible to implement a clock feature when the device is on hold in the future?

Please check at least your USB setting after the upgrade; I found that my setting, set at MSC before, was re-set to Autodetect (which, in my case, would have meant connection via MTP, which was not my preference)–I simply re-set it back. 

I’ve got an awesome suggestion for the next firmware update.  How about an asterisk or some symbol next to a song to indicate that it’s part of the GoList?

I definitely like the idea of knowing when something is in the golist.  A lot of times I will hold down the button to add it only to realize it was already in the list and I just removed it.

The low volume fix is wonderful.  Thank you so much Sandisk devs.

Oh, and please please please fix the “display is always on while connected to the computer” issue.  It is driving me absolutely nuts.

Message Edited by justinjstark on 01-24-2008 09:20 PM

This is kind of interesting.  I opened up the .zip file in WinZip and dragged the file directly from the WinZip window to the root directory of my Clip.  Restarted the Clip, no firmware upgrade.  Reconnected the Clip, the firmware file was gone.  Extracted the file to my Desktop, then dragged the file from my Desktop to the Clip, restarted the Clip - there it was.  Some WinZip weirdness, I guess.

In any case, way to go Sansa!  It’s great to have a company actually listen to their customers’ feedback and make firmware releases based on it.

Thanks for the update!! Working fine so far :slight_smile: One question, though… The instructions here say the Clip will reboot after installing the firmware but mine didn’t, it just shut off. I turned it back on, & all is well :slight_smile: Did this happen to anyone else?

Message Edited by Sasafrass452 on 01-25-2008 12:33 PM

Yup, mine also just went off.
As for the fw - it’s changing the Clip for the better, but still some things need changing.
Especially the bug, when you have albums of one artist in both mp3 and wma.
Second - Ogg support!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I would’ve liked to have seen the change where the display is no longer lit while the Clip is connected to the PC … otherwise, I think it’s pretty cool that Sansa came out with a firmware upgrade fairly quickly.

Oh yeah, also would like to see the Clip updating songs’ play counts, though I don’t know the technical specifics, other than that the count is kept in some tag … probably some non-standard (extended?) one.

Thanx, Kilar_Ezan. At least I’m not the only one. As long as it works, I won’t worry about it…

Yeah mine did not automatically restart after the FW load either.

I also noticed that after the update, the USB Mode preference was changed back to “AUTO”. So beware of that, if you use MSC, you’ll need to go in and change that setting back.

Thanx, Click. I’ve already set it to MSC mode. I have to anyway since I use Linux, although I suspect that even in auto-detect mode, it would still use MSC since MTP is not possible without Windows/WMP. I prefer to copy & paste, anyway…

Click wrote:
Yeah mine did not automatically restart after the FW load either.

I also noticed that after the update, the USB Mode preference was changed back to “AUTO”. So beware of that, if you use MSC, you’ll need to go in and change that setting back.

Yep–I had noticed that and posted an advisory above about that (5th post down), to try to warn people lest their music seem to disappear.

I couldn’t be happier with Sandisk and my Sansa players. These devices are truly amazing and the support is THE BEST. (I just wish they would sell me a replacement battery cover for my m260).

Here’s something else I noticed about the 01.01.20 firmware. It does tune the FM band in 200KHz (0.2MHz) increments, which is better. Also, it now tunes down to 87.5. It didn’t go down that low before. I appreciate this because I can hear TV-6 audio on 87.7 around Lansing, Michigan. I use this to listen to David Letterman without bothering my wife, hearing the local news, and CBS overnight news. Of course this won’t matter in Feb 2009 when all the analog TV broadcasts are turned off, but it will be handy for a year.

The extra range in the low end of the volume control is nice, too. I like to listen to the news just loud enough to understand the words. It was a hair too loud before, even on the lowest setting.

Thanks Sandisk, nice job!

Click wrote:

I believe you will also find that the Refresh Database is (assuming a nearly full Clip) about 8-12 seconds faster than `18 was. I have 2 Clips and timed it side by side with identical >1.8GB payloads on each. I did this a few times to prove to myself it’s real…

Hey, that’s ~10 seconds of my life I just got back, every time I change content!

I synced 355 songs to my Clip in MSC mode.  Refresh Database took about 50 seconds.  My songs are arranged on the clip under MUSIC\artist-name\album-name, so the folder hierarchy probably slowed things up a bit.

But … aiiieee … these songs were in two playlists, and although the songs made it OK, the playlists aren’t working … when I select either playlist, I get that weird graphic I’ve mentioned before, two white blocks on either side with a small black dot in the middle of each.  I can open up the playlists in Notepad, directly from the Clip, and they look OK … .m3u files in the “Playlists” directory that look like this:

\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Our Time in Eden\Noah’s Dove.mp3
\Music\13th Floor Elevators\Easter Everywhere\She Lives (In A Time Of Her Own).mp3
\Music\13th Floor Elevators\Easter Everywhere\I Had To Tell You.mp3

etc.

Not sure what happened there.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 01-25-2008 04:24 PM

Click wrote:

I synced 355 songs to my Clip in MSC mode.  Refresh Database took about 50 seconds.  My songs are arranged on the clip under MUSIC\artist-name\album-name, so the folder hierarchy probably slowed things up a bit.

But … aiiieee … these songs were in two playlists, and although the songs made it OK, the playlists aren’t working … when I select either playlist, I get that weird graphic I’ve mentioned before, two white blocks on either side with a small black dot in the middle of each.  I can open up the playlists in Notepad, directly from the Clip, and they look OK … .m3u files in the “Playlists” directory that look like this:

\Music\13th Floor Elevators\Easter Everywhere\She Lives (In A Time Of Her Own).mp3

etc.

Not sure w

Click wrote:

etc.

Not sure what’s happened there.

So, I understand that the new firmware is supposed to make the battery meter more accurate, using percentages or something like that… am I supposed to see a percentage number on the battery meter? If so, I don’t see a number. How can I tell the difference from the old/original firmware?