Sandisk engineers: Please fix the shuffle feature on the Clip+

I have a feeling that Milkerman, Tapeworm and/ or Marvin Martian will reply that the shuffle function works properly on the Clip+ but I unequivocally state that this function does NOT randomize the songs or artists. I’ve had my unit for over 7 months, have 3770 songs (8g+16g card) and  100+ artists and I continue to hear the same songs/artists while not ever hearing others. I am sure that I am not the only one experiencing this. I am also pretty sure that Sansa engineers know that the shuffle function does not randomize.  So, I’ve accepted the fact that you tricked me into believing that your battery runs for over 10 hours in normal use (I get 6 if I’m lucky)  but the lack of a true shuffle  annoys me even more. Please address this issue in your next firmware update and make the shuffle function truly randomized. Thank you.

Sorry to disappoint you, mlip, but I have read some others say, like you, that the Clip doesn’t appear to totally randomize its shuffle.    ;)    (Me, I generally listen to music in unshuffled order, and so can’t say.) 

@mlip wrote:

I have a feeling that Milkerman, Tapeworm and/ or Marvin Martian will reply that the shuffle function works properly on the Clip+ but I unequivocally state that this function does NOT randomize the songs or artists. I’ve had my unit for over 7 months, have 3770 songs (8g+16g card) and  100+ artists and I continue to hear the same songs/artists while not ever hearing others. I am sure that I am not the only one experiencing this. I am also pretty sure that Sansa engineers know that the shuffle function does not randomize.  So, I’ve accepted the fact that you tricked me into believing that your battery runs for over 10 hours in normal use (I get 6 if I’m lucky)  but the lack of a true shuffle  annoys me even more. Please address this issue in your next firmware update and make the shuffle function truly randomized. Thank you.

I don’t remember how it works on my two Clip+'s anymore, to be honest…I haven’t used the Sansa firmware on them in many weeks now. My battery life has improved from just over 10 hours to 14+, as well.:wink:

None of the SanDisk players have ever had a great shuffle algorithm on them. Many other players do it better. As this has been the case through several different models for several years now, I can only assume there is some limitation to “fixing” this (whether it be firmware or hardware-related), or that SanDisk has made the deliberate decision not to.

Are track numbers required while in shuffle mode for the Clip+ to include them? Or, are songs without track numbers ignored, never to be played unless manually chosen? I tried searching for this answer but I can’t find a definitive yes or no answer. Thanks.

@mlip wrote:

Are track numbers required while in shuffle mode for the Clip+ to include them? Or, are songs without track numbers ignored, never to be played unless manually chosen? I tried searching for this answer but I can’t find a definitive yes or no answer. Thanks.

Wouldn’t know. All of my tracks have complete ID3 tags & track numbers.

@tapeworm wrote:

@mlip wrote:

Wouldn’t know. All of my tracks have complete ID3 tags & track numbers.

Same here!