S.O.S.! Sansa Clip folder system & ID3 tags

Hi,

Is there an easy way of making my Sansa Clip player to organise/display songs/folders the same way they are on a PC?

I don’t like using Windows Media Player 10. I want to drag&drop folders/songs directly from PC to Sansa Clip. At the moment

I find all songs in Sansa Clip are in one same folder, i.e. Sansa Clip has ignored my folder system! :cry:

Also many of my MP3 files don’t have ID3 tags. Do I HAVE to tag them all (2000 songs) so that Sansa Clip can recognize/display

them properly?

The answer is yes. The Clip navigates by tags. The Clip+ and Fuze offer a choice of navigation by folders or by tags. Did you just buy the player very recently? If so, do you have the option of exchanging it for a Clip+ or Fuze?

Thanks JK98. I only have the Clip (bought 3 weeks ago!) but I hear Clip+ is out in USA… I live in Ireland… I think I still can return my Clip because it is within 30 days of purchase… i simply hate relying on WMP 10 to control my music… I have owned Creative MP3 players (MuVo) that were extremely user friendly and display folder hierarchy the same way they are on a PC… same goes for MP3 files that only have a file name… no need for ID3 tags… are you 100% sure Clip+ does what i need? any disadvantages of the Clip+?

The Clip+ will navigate and organize by either ID3 tags or folder–your choice.  It will do what you want.  It is supposed to be out in Europe by December (is out in the U.S. now).  You can download the manual for it and check it out.  (See the Clip+ forum here.)

Only disadvantage:  the clip on it, while sturdier than the original, is non-removable.  Also, there’s no ring that lights on front (sorry, I like that!).

You don’t need to use WMP with the original Clip–simply drag and drop.  But your ID3 tags generally need to be filled in (exceptions:  files in the Podcasts and Audiobooks folders).  Having said that, a few people here and at anythingbutipod.com have developed software that will create a playlist for each folder on your Clip–if you keep it, you might want to check it out.

It’s easy enough to supply album, title and track numbers using mp3tag or similar. I need to do this for virtually all my installed music. For simplicity I set tags to match windows folder and file names (or other way round if already tagged). Play order is by track#, mp3tag will let you set a start track number.

Playlists are nice and have been covered elsewhere, but I’ve really only created them for test purposes, but they are easy to create.

Thanks Miikerman. I must check out the Clip+ manual asap to make a decision whether to return/keep my Clip.

I’m happy to hear that Clip+ is sturdier. Don’t mind if the clip is non-removable. Same for the front lights. In fact whatever can save battery life is good!

Yes, original Clip allows drag & drop without WMP but it doesn’t keep folder hierarchy… at least that is what i have seen so far… for example if in my PC I have Folder X with subfolders X1, X2, X3, X4, etc. each with different MP3 files… then i drag & drop onto Clip which works fine except that the Clip will display them as ALL on same folder! i can NOT specifically go down to folder X4 and play the MP3 files within that folder… am i missing something?

the problem is that i have over 2000 MP3 files and vast majority of them are discrete files, i.e. don’t have album/artist/track/genre details… they simply have the MP3 file name… other MP3 players are happy to handle folders and subfolder hierarchy as in PC… Clip despite being so good in sound quality department it had a somewhat non-user friendly UI…

what is mp3tag?

No, you’re absolutely right.  Except that, the Clip does not change your folder hierarchy–if you connect the Clip to your computer, you’ll see that the folder hierarchy is still there on the Clip.  However, the Clip shows and navigates by the ID3 tags (it sets up a database via the ID3 tags)–it ignores your folder structure for that purpose.

If you can wait 2-3 months, I would wait for the Clip+.  It likely will be the same price or cheaper than the Clip for you, and will have future support from SanDisk (unknown if there will be future firmware upgrades for the Clip).

@adcman wrote:

Thanks Miikerman. I must check out the Clip+ manual asap to make a decision whether to return/keep my Clip.

I’m happy to hear that Clip+ is sturdier. Don’t mind if the clip is non-removable. Same for the front lights. In fact whatever can save battery life is good!

Yes, original Clip allows drag & drop without WMP but it doesn’t keep folder hierarchy… at least that is what i have seen so far… for example if in my PC I have Folder X with subfolders X1, X2, X3, X4, etc. each with different MP3 files… then i drag & drop onto Clip which works fine except that the Clip will display them as ALL on same folder! i can NOT specifically go down to folder X4 and play the MP3 files within that folder… am i missing something?

No, you’re absolutely right.  Except that, the Clip does not change your folder hierarchy–if you connect the Clip to your computer, you’ll see that the folder hierarchy is still there on the Clip.  However, the Clip shows and navigates by the ID3 tags (it sets up a database via the ID3 tags)–it ignores your folder structure for that purpose.

If you can wait 2-3 months, I would wait for the Clip+.  It likely will be the same price or cheaper than the Clip for you, and will have future support from SanDisk (unknown if there will be future firmware upgrades for the Clip).

MP3Tag is a freeware tag editor, which can edit and add tags.  It is fairly easy to use.  Among other things, it can batch add tags to your files, using the file and folder names.

Thanks Miikerman,

I’m after downloading the Clip+ manual. As far as I can see there is no mention of playback using folders… in fact, at the top of Page 28 there is talk of needing ID3 tags! unless i’m missing something, the main difference between Clip & Clip+ is the SlotRadio feature and the memory card…

I have no problem waiting for Clip+ if I could be sure it is more user-friendly than Clip… I simply can not go through my entire library (i know 2000 songs aren’t much compared to some other people) and have to add ID3 tags to each MP3 file… life is too short! all i want is a MP3 player than is compact, portable (gym,cycling,etc.) and can be loaded/played simply without major fuss! Please Sandisk, is that too much too ask?!

SanDisk’s manuals never have been all-inclusive, unfortunately …

Guaranteed that the Clip+, at least with its current firmware, allows navigation by folder.  Under the Clip+'s Music menu, in addition to the Artists, Albums, Songs, Genres, etc. entries, there is an entry for Folders and then you just drill down from there to what you want, as if on your computer.

You really want a Clip+.  By the way, MP3Tag would batch (automatically) tag your files quickly, not 1-by-1; you simply could set it to use the file names for the title tag and, if you wanted, the folder names as the album tag.  Other tag editors will do this as well, such as The Godfather (also Internet freeware).  Once you learn the software’s system, it’s a piece of cake. 

Mp3Tag:  Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

The Godfather:   http://download.cnet.com/The-GodFather/3000-2141\_4-10232548.html

I owe you an apology! You are 100% correct that the Clip+ can browse by folder… it is briefly mentioned on Page 16 of the manual… Sandisk should make a bigger song & dance about this feature because i was very close to walk away from Sandisk and go back to get a Creative player!

btw, the Clip+ manual also says that the clip at the back is removable! is this true? it doesn’t matter much to me… i just wonder if their manual is 100% correct or is it a copy+paste from Clip manual…

i found a very good review of the Clip+ here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2009/08/sandisk-sansa-clip-plus-review.php (it mentiones folder browsing) with a useful video demo as part of the review…

tomorrow, i’ll be returning my Clip to the shop and will hold-off 2-3 months until Clip+ is on sale here in Europe…

Glad you found the info.–I had done a computer search on the word “folders” and nothing appeared (it looks like the manual is not word-searchable). 

I think the detachable clip info. is wrong–the only way I can see to detach the clip would be to break it off.  

Hopefully, the Clip+ will make its way to Ireland sooner rather than later!  It is a nice little general-use player (pitch issue regardless).

same here, i had searched the entire PDF file for the word “folder” and no luck despite being able to see it in front of my eyes on the manual…

someone wasn’t very clever/friendly when producing that manual…

i’ll be happy with a fixed clip… it doesn’t bother me… accroding to that video demo some of the controls have also moved around making

the Clip+ a better player…

what do you mean by “pitch issue regardless”?

The clip on the Clip+ is a sturdier construction and sits nicely on the back of the Clip±-I’m sure you’ll be fine with it.  The side controls have been moved/remodeled some–a bit easier to push now/use (although the originals were fine for me and most).  

Arggh, the pitch issue–you can read many threads/posts on it here and in the Clip+ forum.  Short story–the pitch is a trifle off.  Most people don’t notice it at all–it’s 2-4 seconds slower than a computer over a 3 minute song, making the pitch a trifle lower.   But musicians especially may notice it, including when coordinating with instruments.  SanDisk was looking into the issue and stated today in threads that it will not be fixing the issue on the Clp/Clip+.  (Sigh.)  You can read further in the many threads and posts.

To answer your original question, there is an easy folder browsing option for the Clip

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=11605#M11605

pitch issue is worrying but hopefully won’t be noticeable… for now i’m going to wait until Clip+ becomes available in Europe (Ireland)…

hopefully Sandisk will be nice to the customers and issues a firmware to fix the bug…

thanks for all your help…

Sorry–unless SanDisk changes its decision, it said yesterday that it will not be fixing the pitch bug. 

Sure thing–happy to help. 

And, sorry–unless SanDisk changes its decision, it said yesterday that it will not be fixing the pitch bug. 

@miikerman wrote:

The Clip+ will navigate and organize by either ID3 tags or folder–your choice.  It will do what you want.  It is supposed to be out in Europe by December (is out in the U.S. now).  You can download the manual for it and check it out.  (See the Clip+ forum here.)

Sorry for reviving an old thread.  It seems the most related to my issue/discovery.

I have a Clip+ with the latest firmware.

I copy CBC News mp3s to my Clip+ folder MUSIC to listen to them at my convenience.  The World At Six mp3s show up in Music:Recently Added:worldatsix.  The The World This Week, copied to the same place, don’t show up.  (Using the folders browsing, all show up, but that’s not my issue.)

Why the difference?  The World At Six mp3s don’t have tags.  The World This Week mp3s do have tags.  When I remove those tags, the recording does show up in Recently Added.  That seems very odd.

So: what is the minimum set of tags that I need to add or remove to get TWTW recordings to show up in Recently Added?  In other words: are some tags a problem or are some tags required?

Here’s the set of tags on today’s TWTW (http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/podcasts/twtw_20110806_96552.mp3)

$ id3v2 -l twtw.mp3 
id3v2 tag info for twtw.mp3:
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
APIC (Attached picture): (odcast)[, 80]: image/jpeg, 116973 bytes
TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): The World This Weekend from CBC Radio
TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): The World This Weekend from CBC Radio
TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): The World This Weekend Saturday August 6
COMM (Comments): ()[eng]: Good evening, I'm Marcia Young.
This is The World This Weekend.
Tonight: The United States loses its tripple A rating. 
The rating agency, Standard and Poor's agrees. 
Also tonight: 
A deadly day for the U-S military.
A Chinook helicopter crashes in Afghanistan carrying 31 members of an elite U-S military team.
And later.... Unaffordable and unbearable...Israeli's take to the streets to protest the high cost of living.
That's ahead
TCON (Content type): Podcast (255)
TCOM (Composer): Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
TYER (Year): 2011