Highlighted

Re: S.O.S.! Sansa Clip folder system & ID3 tags

I owe you an apology! You are 100% correct that the Clip+ can browse by folder... it is briefly mentioned on Page 16 of the manual... Sandisk should make a bigger song & dance about this feature because i was very close to walk away from Sandisk and go back to get a Creative player!

btw, the Clip+ manual also says that the clip at the back is removable! is this true? it doesn't matter much to me... i just wonder if their manual is 100% correct or is it a copy+paste from Clip manual...

i found a very good review of the Clip+ here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2009/08/sandisk-sansa-clip-plus-review.php (it mentiones folder browsing) with a useful video demo as part of the review...

tomorrow, i'll be returning my Clip to the shop and will hold-off 2-3 months until Clip+ is on sale here in Europe...

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Glad you found the info.--I had done a computer search on the word "folders" and nothing appeared (it looks like the manual is not word-searchable). 

I think the detachable clip info. is wrong--the only way I can see to detach the clip would be to break it off.  

Hopefully, the Clip+ will make its way to Ireland sooner rather than later!  It is a nice little general-use player (pitch issue regardless).

Highlighted

same here, i had searched the entire PDF file for the word "folder" and no luck despite being able to see it in front of my eyes on the manual...

someone wasn't very clever/friendly when producing that manual...

i'll be happy with a fixed clip... it doesn't bother me... accroding to that video demo some of the controls have also moved around making

the Clip+ a better player...

what do you mean by "pitch issue regardless"?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

The clip on the Clip+ is a sturdier construction and sits nicely on the back of the Clip+--I'm sure you'll be fine with it.  The side controls have been moved/remodeled some--a bit easier to push now/use (although the originals were fine for me and most).  

Arggh, the pitch issue--you can read many threads/posts on it here and in the Clip+ forum.  Short story--the pitch is a trifle off.  Most people don't notice it at all--it's 2-4 seconds slower than a computer over a 3 minute song, making the pitch a trifle lower.   But musicians especially may notice it, including when coordinating with instruments.  SanDisk was looking into the issue and stated today in threads that it will not be fixing the issue on the Clp/Clip+.  (Sigh.)  You can read further in the many threads and posts.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

To answer your original question, there is an easy folder browsing option for the Clip

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=11605#M11605

Highlighted

pitch issue is worrying but hopefully won't be noticeable... for now i'm going to wait until Clip+ becomes available in Europe (Ireland)...

hopefully Sandisk will be nice to the customers and issues a firmware to fix the bug...

thanks for all your help...

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Sure thing--happy to help. 

And, sorry--unless SanDisk changes its decision, it said yesterday that it will not be fixing the pitch bug. 

Highlighted

@Miikerman wrote:

The Clip+ will navigate and organize by either ID3 tags or folder--your choice.  It will do what you want.  It is supposed to be out in Europe by December (is out in the U.S. now).  You can download the manual for it and check it out.  (See the Clip+ forum here.)

Sorry for reviving an old thread.  It seems the most related to my issue/discovery.

I have a Clip+ with the latest firmware.

I copy CBC News mp3s to my Clip+ folder MUSIC to listen to them at my convenience.  The World At Six mp3s show up in Music:Recently Added:worldatsix.  The The World This Week, copied to the same place, don't show up.  (Using the folders browsing, all show up, but that's not my issue.)

Why the difference?  The World At Six mp3s don't have tags.  The World This Week mp3s do have tags.  When I remove those tags, the recording does show up in Recently Added.  That seems very odd.

So: what is the minimum set of tags that I need to add or remove to get TWTW recordings to show up in Recently Added?  In other words: are some tags a problem or are some tags required?

Here's the set of tags on today's TWTW (http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/podcasts/twtw_20110806_96552.mp3)

$ id3v2 -l twtw.mp3 
id3v2 tag info for twtw.mp3:
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
APIC (Attached picture): (odcast)[, 80]: image/jpeg, 116973 bytes
TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): The World This Weekend from CBC Radio
TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): The World This Weekend from CBC Radio
TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): The World This Weekend Saturday August 6
COMM (Comments): ()[eng]: Good evening, I'm Marcia Young.
This is The World This Weekend.
Tonight: The United States loses its tripple A rating.
The rating agency, Standard and Poor's agrees.
Also tonight:
A deadly day for the U-S military.
A Chinook helicopter crashes in Afghanistan carrying 31 members of an elite U-S military team.
And later.... Unaffordable and unbearable...Israeli's take to the streets to protest the high cost of living.
That's ahead
TCON (Content type): Podcast (255)
TCOM (Composer): Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
TYER (Year): 2011

Highlighted

Stumbled onto this thread looking for info on how to get the clip+ to read my files the way my computer does. I am too illiterate to spell, let alone tag things!!!!! But what I have done for a fix is, right clip the folder, tell it to make a play list, then find the book in the playlist on the clip. The stupid thing starts at track 19, but all in order, so that's good enough for me. I post this with the faint hope that someone like me will find it helpful. If any programming gods come across this, your stinking tag programs make no sense to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!if you care

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I'm sorry, but: what exactly is the issue? Do the files not appear under the various Music subcategories on your player? Also, note that there is a Folders listing at the bottom of the Music category, allowing you to navigate your player's folders and files just like on your computer. Note: if you still are having issues, it could be because the ID3 tags--data embedded into files, containing info. like artist name, track name, genre, year, etc., which players then use on their displays--for your files, which the Clip uses to display, are not filled in. You can use freeware such as MP3Tag to fill that info. in. www.mp3tag.de/en