Rockbox might have bricked my clip

I installed rockbox successfully and when I disconnected the player, it said there was a firmware update in progress. So I waited untill it powered down like it should after an update and now the stupid thing doesn’t turn on. I left it plugged in for a couple of hours to see if it worked and it didn’t. How can I fix it? I bought it more than a year ago with no warranty and getting it repaired wouldn’t be worth it(only 2gb).

Message Edited by d_headshot on 05-29-2010 07:29 PM

If its actually bricked you can’t fix it.  But I would make sure its not just frozen with the screen off.  Try resetting it, and if that doesn’t work let the battery run down and then try charging it.  

Also, which clip do you have and how did you install? 

@saratoga wrote:

If its actually bricked you can’t fix it.  But I would make sure its not just frozen with the screen off.  Try resetting it, and if that doesn’t work let the battery run down and then try charging it.  

Also, which clip do you have and how did you install? 

I have a v2. I know rockbox doesn’t have an actual stable release for it, but I was recommended to try it out at least. I installed it with the rockbox utility. Everything went fine except that it just won’t turn on.

How long does it take for the battery to drain if you leave it off for a long time?

@d_headshot wrote:

How long does it take for the battery to drain if you leave it off for a long time?

Theres no way to know.  It’d depend on what the player was doing when it crashed.  Somewhere between hours and a couple weeks would be my guess.  

I guess if you’re pretty sure its trashed you could try opening it up and removing the battery.  Its fairly tricky to get it back together though.

according to the sansa clip rockbox website there is a way: “if you feel comfortable about soldering some wires to your device…”

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMSJTAG

p.s. i have the same problem with a 1gb sansa clip v2… and it’s my friend’s, so i don’t really “feel comfortable” to open it and sold wires…

but i did installed rockbox on about 5 other sansa clips (v2) with 2gb, and everything worked great…

Message Edited by millitaryman69 on 05-30-2010 05:43 AM

And the reset doesn’t work? Try it for longer, up to 40 seconds.

Still doesn’t work.

Ignore it for a few days. Seriously. There have been several people who have posted here recently that they thought their Clip was DOA as it was totally unresponsive. A few days later they pressed the power button and the little wonders miraculously revived and are now working fine.

Maybe they’re like women . . . the quickest way to get a rise out of them is to pretend they don’t exist. :stuck_out_tongue:

If it doesn’t come back on its own, see this:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMSUnbrick

Unfortunately while its been verified to unbrick a clipv1 and a clip+, no one has tried on a clipv2 yet.   

Yep, the EXACT same thing just happened to me that happened to the OP. I would do the open your MP3 player and unbrick thing but I don’t even know HOW to open it. sadface.

The stupid thing is still bricked. I might just buy a clip+ with higher capacity. How’s the stability of the clip+ with rockbox?

You might want to check on that Board/put your inquiry there. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&thread.id=4317&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

I’m running Rockbox on a Clip+, and updating every day or two with the RockboxUtility, and only encountered a hard crash once when I was monkeying around with initializing the database.

That was cured by holding down the power button, but didn’t work straight away - only after a few minutes (unless the first couple of times I was panicking and didn’t hold it long enough).

So Rockbox on the Clip+ seems very stable; the only crash I’ve had I was able to recover from.