Rockbox gives better battery life -- how come Sansa's firmware doesn't?

@comfortablynumb wrote:

OK, Rockbox runs great, but I have a confession to make:  I actually prefer the Clip+ original firmware (o.f.)  It’s simple, uncluttered, and intuitive.  Rockbox takes more buttons and menus than the o.f. to find and play my music, and lots more buttons to find and set options.  But there’s a HUGE reason to use RB, and that’s battery life – the battery lasts a whole lot longer running RB than o.f. 

So, two questions.  First, has anyone actually benchtested a comparison of the battery life of RB vs. o.f.? 

And second, if Rockbox can achieve better battery life, why can’t Sandisk?  This is, obviously, a firmware issue.  Why hasn’t Sandisk fixed this?  They’d sell more players if they could advertise a longer battery life, right? 

is your friend. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaRuntime

It is a firmware issue. Just one example…FLAC ■■■■■ the life right out of the battery when running in the Sansa firmware…typically a 40% drop compared to MP3, in my experience. Yet in Rockbox, the Clip+ will play longer in FLAC than in MP3.

You ask, why hasn’t SanDisk fixed this? That, I cannot answer. There are limits even to a Guru’s knowledge. :wink: