Replay Gain: A how to informational

Clip+ 8 gb, 16 gb card, firmware 1.02.15a

OK, I’ve read this whole thread, and as far as I can tell, no one has gotten Replay Gain to work as described in the first post.  I used Mediamonkey to analyze track volume on all tracks, but Replay Gain on the Clip+ just doesn’t provide any change in volume level, regardless of the track being played or the RG settings used. All the other options for achieving level volume playback are unacceptable to me: 

1)  If I read the Foobar discussion correctly, it looks like I would have to go throught the tracks one by one and take out all the “plus” characters.  No thanks, I have 2500 tracks on the clip, and I already have a full time job. 

2)  mp3Gain works well – but only for mp3’s.  I’ve got loads and loads of wma, and recently I’ve been trying out flac.

3)  I tried Rockbox – didn’t like it, for several reasons that don’t matter here.  RB is gone, at least until there’s a stable release.  

4)  The only other option is to use Media Monkey to level the volume on all those files – but I’d rather not, because that permanently alters the file itself.

SO – any suggestions on how to get Replay Gain to actually work, using Mediamonkey data?