Replay Gain: A how to informational

Hi all, this is my first time using replay gain and I would like some help. I made a test folder on the clip+ with two songs that I had levelled the volume on using media monkey. Playing the two songs on my computer through media monkey they both have the same equal volume. But when turning on the replay gain feature on the clip and switching between the same two tracks, there is a big difference, one is really loud in comparison. Is my clip+ faulty? Everything else works fine as far as I can see. If its faulty can a firmware upgrade fix this, or should I return it?

Veni

EDIT: Just checked the track info when the songs are playing, cant see any information there regarding any replay gain values

EDIT #2: Fixed!

Okay I gathered some mp3s (varying volumes) together and put them in THREE separate folders on the clip. One folder MP3GAIN where they were all set to the default 89db. One folder MONKEY where the mp3 tags had been updated with Media Monkey to 89db. Last folder FOOBAR with the tags being changed to level the volume again to 89db. After I had transferred them to the clip I listened through the folders with Replay gain turned off, this was the setting when the folders were transferred to the clip. Obviously all the volumes were varying except in the MP3GAIN folder where the volume of the mp3s had been changed. So then I turned Replay Gain onto ‘Song’ mode. The mp3s inside MONKEY and FOOBAR still had erratic volume levels and checking the track info on the mp3s in both folders there was no sign of any replay gain info. BUT THEN I turned the player on and off and suddenly… track info in both MONKEY and FOOBAR folders show replay gain info, its right at the bottom, just keep down clicking even if it shows less than a full page of info on the screen you think is the last one. The FOOBAR replay gains looked messed up, -40db etc. But the MONKEY folder had all the gains correctly and the volumes of the mp3s played in that folder now sounded pretty much level. One thing I noticed was that the level that Media Monkey decides to set the volumes to is a little higher than what MP3GAIN considers 89db, perhaps its a resolution thing. Once I had it working, I was able to turn replay gain on and off without restarting the clip again and I could notice the difference immediately. So in essence, try and turn your player on and off after you select replay gain on. I hope this helps someone - btw I was using Media Monkey version 3.01

Slightly off topic, I have all my mp3s on the clip in seperate folders for each artist and the file name is the song title. Is there a way or program that could analyse all the folders and for each mp3 fill in the ID3 tags so that the artist name is taken from the folder the mp3 is in and the song name is taken from the mp3 file name?

Veni

Message Edited by Veni on 01-09-2010 07:48 AM