Remaining time in the play screen

Hi everyone! I’d like to know if there is a way to see the remaining time of the current song in the play screen, instead of the typical “already played” time.

I’m hoping someone could help me.

Short answer?

No.

Longer answer?  There isn’t enough “real estate” in that bottom status line to display both elapsed and remaining times, plus the progress bar, in that line.

I’ve gotten used to the Clip display by allowing a little time to elapse; then, based upon the ET shown, and the amount of progress of the bar I can guess how much time remains.

I’m spoiled with the larger Sansas, as there’s room for all three. 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

My last player had a smaller display and could be configured to always show time remaining.  Elapsed time is useless.

I think that it could be made to fit.  Or how about a press of the center button providing further information of this sort (including, dare I say it, the current time)–that potential really is going wasted. 

I’d love to have the option to display time elapsed / time remaining, rather than the progress bar.  It would be nice to have a simple rolling center icon that shows if playback is progressing, just like the “rolling” battery icon.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

I would also like to see the elapsed time and time remaining displayed. There is no need for the progress bar. I would also like to see the battery percentage displayed rather than the battery icon.

Dare I say it, but:  under Rockbox, it is easy enough to have a What’s Playing Screen which alternates showing elapsed time and remaining time. 

Miikerman wrote:
Dare I say it, but:  under Rockbox, it is easy enough to have a What’s Playing Screen which alternates showing elapsed time and remaining time. 

I was going to mention that. It’s an easily programmable tag in just about any RB compatible theme. But since Rockbox is not available for the Clip+, it doesn’t do much good to bring it up.

I really brought it up just to show how it is possible and easy enough to work the info. in.  I still think that pressing the center button to bring up alternate screens and info. would be a great idea, including a clock.

Since we have sufficient pixels in the OLED display, I’d love to see this style of digital clock display:

Nice, rounded Nixie style font.  I’d love to see the selection work as follows:

• Settings option: display clock
  • Screen dark during play, single press of center button displays time
  • Next touch of controls operates normal controls, with one exception:
  • If Pause is tapped, immediate pause of audio.

I can has cheeseburger?

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I agree with Miikerman, there does seem to be unused functionality with the center button; lets have a current time display as one of the center-button functions, the real time eq is awesome, perhaps include system-information so that we don’t have to continuously navigate there.

What JK98 states is logical, a percentage of track duration can either be displayed or calculated by a viewer, a bar is excess; a battery icon is informatively useless, if the percentage is available in the system-info menu, move it to the track display. Numbers provide exactitude (perhaps there should be an scientific-mode and a general-consumer-mode which toggled).

Track bit rate information would be nice in the track display, but since this information is more useful during file transfer I can understand its exclusion.

@buglouse wrote:

I agree with Miikerman, there does seem to be unused functionality with the center button; lets have a current time display as one of the center-button functions, the real time eq is awesome, perhaps include system-information so that we don’t have to continuously navigate there.

What JK98 states is logical, a percentage of track duration can either be displayed or calculated by a viewer, a bar is excess; a battery icon is informatively useless, if the percentage is available in the system-info menu, move it to the track display. Numbers provide exactitude (perhaps there should be an scientific-mode and a general-consumer-mode which toggled).

Track bit rate information would be nice in the track display , but since this information is more useful during file transfer I can understand its exclusion.

Hence the attraction to Rockbox firmware. A number of themes are available (and you can even customize one or write your own), giving you exactly the information you want.