Refreshing your media...all the time!

Hi All,

Just got the Clip+ 8GB and added a Sandisk 16GB card and uploaded 1554 tracks mostly MP3 with a few FLAC files.  About 1/3rd are on the Clip+ and the rest on the 16GB.  Both are only 50% filled, so loads of space on both the clip and the card.

Every time I switch on I get “Refreshing your media” and this takes over 2 minutes each time.  I also get it when browsing around (but not all the time), each time taking ages to complete.

I have not added or deleted anything so I can’t understand why it keeps needing to update.  Does anyone know how to stop this as it has spoilt an otherwise great little player?

I wish Sandisk would bring out a firmware update which solved this, or at least gave you the option to switch the Refresh off.

I can confirm the firmware is the latest and the 16GB card is by Sandisk so there should not be compatibility issues as they are the same make.

Cheers in advance to anyone who can help with this.

John

This sometimes happens when the microSD card is loose in the slot, and the player “thinks” the card has been inserted again.  Can you tell if you have that issue?  Does it happen if you press against the card in its slot, making sure it’s firmly seated?  If not, you might need to exchange for another unit.

Thanks Miikerman.

It seems a good fit.  The card clicks in place and seems tight.  I have removed the card and re-inserted it again.  After the initial “Refreshing your media”, which you would expect after a card is inserted, you wouldn’t expect it any more unless tracks are added/removed.

I’ll use the player over the next couple of days and report back.

Thanks again

John

The fit seems to be very sensitive.  I wonder if you need to exchange the player for a replacement (if the store you purchased at is nearby/convenient, that might be the way to go). 

Sounds like a defective player to me too.

I have the same problem.  I have an 8gb clip + with a 16gb ext memory card.  The card is seated properly but I have not tried resetting the unit itself.  This is the 2nd unit I am on (the first one was replace by SanDisk after the clip broken the 3rd time I was using it).  In addition to this it takes about 10 minutes to refresh so it is very frustrating…

Also my battery only lasts about 4-5 hours when I thougth it should last about 3x that …not happy…but hoping that someone has a suggestion to fix these issues…

@haseltonk wrote:

I have the same problem.  I have an 8gb clip + with a 16gb ext memory card.  The card is seated properly but I have not tried resetting the unit itself.  This is the 2nd unit I am on (the first one was replace by SanDisk after the clip broken the 3rd time I was using it).  In addition to this it takes about 10 minutes to refresh so it is very frustrating…

Also my battery only lasts about 4-5 hours when I thougth it should last about 3x that …not happy…but hoping that someone has a suggestion to fix these issues…

I read somewhere that a long refresh time can be caused by bad tags – long comments, foreign characters and such.  You can use MP3tag to clean up the tags.  Set it to write to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 in Tools/Options/Tags/Mpegs, then highlight all the tags or select all and save.

I have about 20gb on my clip+ and card and it only takes about 3-4 minutes to refresh.

@  billha had a brainf@rt and wrote:

Well, that certainly was a helpful suggestion!

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve traced it down to the card holder on mine.

My player doesn’t hold the card tight enough, so if I bump or touch the card it either refreshes the media or goes to the first song (paused) that was to play when I powered up the player.

Mine will freeze up if I try to adjust the volume and touch the card at the same time.

But it doesn’t happen all the time.

Very frustrating.

**bleep** IE9 won’t post unless in compatibility mode

@billha wrote:

I’ve traced it down to the card holder on mine.

My player doesn’t hold the card tight enough, so if I bump or touch the card it either refreshes the media or goes to the first song (paused) that was to play when I powered up the player.

Mine will freeze up if I try to adjust the volume and touch the card at the same time.

But it doesn’t happen all the time.

Very frustrating.

Are you sure you have the card completely inserted and locked in place?

As you push the card in, if you listen closely you will hear 2 faint clicks; one as the mechanism grabs the card and another time as you slightly release it when it locks in place. Normally you have to push the card in slightly past the slot opening/casing for the locking mechanism to engage. Use your finger or thumbnail.

To release the card, you have to push it in again (unitl it clicks), then the spring will push it out. When released, it will click again. A note of warning though, keep your fiinger on the card during release, or it will shoot across the room. :dizzy_face:

The cards in all the way. If I try to adjust the volume while touching the card the player will freeze up and I have to reset it.

I put a piece of packaging tape over the card to hold it in firmer and the problem is solved. The cards a sandisk card BTW

Then you have a defective card slot in your player. If it’s still under warranty, you should contact SanDisk about a replacement.

I know but… No tunes for awhile.:cry:

Thanks for the help.