Rechargeable battery included inside the player is not replaceable

I once calculated how long a Clip should last on average and with significant average use, with its non-user-replaceable battery and OLED screen (which also has a limited lifespan).  I think I got 5-6 years plus …  By that time, players likely will have significant enhanced capabilities at very good (and low) prices.

I wouldn’t bet on the oled display lasting that long.  I used my Clip for about 2-3 hours per day, maybe 5 days a week, and the display faded out and died in about 1 1/2 years.  Wish they’d stuck with lcd and a indiglo backlight instead, especially since the player isn’t for video or photos.  Maybe the Clip+ will outlast my Clip, just be aware.

johnetx wrote:
I wouldn’t bet on the oled display lasting that long.  I used my Clip for about 2-3 hours per day, maybe 5 days a week, and the display faded out and died in about 1 1/2 years.  Wish they’d stuck with lcd and a indiglo backlight instead, especially since the player isn’t for video or photos.  Maybe the Clip+ will outlast my Clip, just be aware.

One thing that can make a big difference in the like of the display is getting an AC wall charger. When you plug that in, the screen goes dark at your normal backlight interval, instead of staying on for a long time while plugged into the computer to charge.That’s the main reason I kept my wall charger last fall when I sold my old Clip, because I knew at some point I would be getting a Clip+. Now, I can use the same charger on both my Clip+ and one of my Sony players…it was a great way to spend less than $10.:wink:

That’s a great suggestion, I only wish Sandisk would not just mention using a wall charger but to strongly encourage users to use a wall charger.  The owner’s manual says you can charge it using the computer’s usb port, and also wall or car chargers.  Well most buyers already have the pc, so NATURALLY that’s what most users are going to plug the player into.  Sandisk really ought to advise customers “TO PROLONG THE LIFESPAN OF THE OLED DISPLAY, USE OF A WALL CHARGER IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.”  That would get the message across to your everyday user, which could help avoid the disappointment of the suddenly disappearing display.

The display also goes off, when you are charging via a USB Battery Booster (like the Duracell or similar).  I always charged my Clip+ this way, and it rarely ever saw a PC or wall adapter for charging purposes.

johnetx wrote:

Wow–that’s well below what SanDisk has estimated for the display, if I recall correctly.

… maybe so, but they still won’t replace it, since the 1 year warranty’s expired.  I just hope the 3 Clips I bought as gifts last longer than mine did.  If they don’t I can assure you I won’t be getting a Clip+ or any mp3 player with an oled display.  Maybe this is one reason why you don’t see any oled televisions yet?  Can you imagine having a 47" big-screen tv for just over a year and then having the display fade out just after the warranty expires?  The public would be outraged.  I guess Sandisk figures people will just shrug their shoulders when a $40 mp3 player goes bad, since it’s probably outdated already.  Oh well, time to shop for a new player, I guess.

johnetx wrote:
Maybe this is one reason why you don’t see any oled televisions yet?

Soon . . . very soon.

http://www.oled-display.net/oled-television

johnetx wrote:
Maybe this is one reason why you don’t see any oled televisions yet?

Soon . . . very soon.

http://www.oled-display.net/oled-television

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&categoryId=8198552921644539854&langId=-1&storeId=10151

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6741419-1.html

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/28/lgs-15-inch-15el9500-oled-tv-sets-sail-for-europe-scheduled-to/

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-eaton/technomix/your-40-inch-oled-tv-will-arrive-2010-thanks-panasonic

http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=12716

When I first calculated things, it appeared that the Clip, between OLED screen and battery, would easily last 5 years + from moderate use. 

Don’t expect the clip battery Fuze or Clip+ to last longer than 18 months max…

Just google this issue…

These are throw aways…It makes cents…errr sense for Sansa to do this

My Fuze battery died 14 months in after about 6-7 months it started showing signs…odd charge meter fuxuations while charging and just kept getting worse…Fluxuations then progressed while I was using or charging…not the red/green type when near dead…but like a 10%+/- while using…It was a slow death…poor thing…

I expect nothing less than the same from my clip+ after reading about the problems

fafafooey wrote:

Don’t expect the clip battery Fuze or Clip+ to last longer than 18 months max…

Just google this issue…

I think there are probably several people here that would disagree with that statement.

1. Google searches the internet.
  2. Everone knows if they read it on the internet, it has to be true, right?
  3. A lot of what passes for fact on the internet is simply someone’s opinion. And opinions are like certain body parts. Everybody’s got one.

:wink:

My first Clip is from Dec. 2007.  And the battery still works just fine …

@tapeworm wrote:

And opinions are like certain body parts. Everybody’s got one.

You forgot the last part of that: “… and they usually stink.”

Hello,

To the member who wrote: I kept my wall charger last fall when I sold my old Clip, because I knew at some point I would be getting a Clip+. Now, I can use the same charger on both my Clip+ and one of my Sony players…it was a great way to spend less than $10. :wink:

What is the name of the wall charger you are using with the Clip+?  CNet lists Macally but it is for the earlier versions and there is Gomadic on Amazon. I have a 4Gb.

Thank you.

IK

ikebana wrote:

What is the name of the wall charger you are using with the Clip+?

It doesn’t matter. As long as it’s 5V it will work. Just stay away from the really ‘el cheapo’ ones from China.

Here’s a nice one from the SanDisk store for only $10.

I know I must be a brand slug, because I really like that one with the Sansa logo on it …  Or maybe it’s because it just looks like an old-fashioned electrical wall plug?  (If it wasn’t for the extra $6 for shipping, I probably would pick one up, to have around.  Hmmm, I wonder when the SanDisk store has a “free shipping” special …)

Other name-brands available out there include, Macally, the DLO Powerbug, FiiO, Belkin, Kensington …  Wal-Mart also has had some nice ones. 

Miikerman wrote:

…  Wal-Mart also has had some nice ones. 

Here’s a newer version of one I got there a couple years ago. This one has a built-in battery that mine didn’t, and cost $4 less now. Charges 2 USB devices at the same time, and the little LED lights go from red to green when charging is complete. The electrical prongs fold into the unit so it’s easily packed into a travel kit or even just stuffed into a pocket. It’s about the size of a Fuze.

The big W has a line of these, going from 1 to 4 USB ports and with or without internal battery.  A nice source and line.

@johnetx wrote:

The OLED display on my S3 Tivo is 3.5 years old and still works.  It’s dimmed a bit but I can still read it.  Except for two periods of a couple hours each (last thing to be packed, first to be plugged in when I move), it’s been on 24/7 since I bought it.  The OLED on my Clip+ still works after going through the washing machine and dryer.

And the battery can be replaced.  That didn’t survive laundering but I got a replacement on ebay for less than four bucks.  A little prying and a little soldering and I’m back in business.

If I get 3 years out of the Clip+, I’ll be content.  5 years and I’ll be happy.