Questions from someone new at this ... Help??

I am a brand new user on here and I need some help!  I just bought a SansaClip+ this afternoon and plan to give it to a friend as a Christmas present  (the friend is located in a different state so I’ll be mailing it).   In addition to giving my friend the actual player, I would also like to give her about 20 of my favorite songs.  Since I’m new at using this, I have lots of questions!  If you can help, I would really appreciate it!!!

I was told by the saleslady that I could not add the 20 songs that are currently saved on my computer directly to the SansaClip before I put it in the mail because there might be issues when she tries to add/load additional songs from HER computer.   Is this true?

Assuming that I understood this correctly, the saleslady suggested that I purchase a separate memory card (which I did, 4GB) and then I can save the 20 songs from my computer onto the extra memory card that I put in the pkg to my friend (along with the SansaClip player).  I don’t want to open the Sansa player box since it will be new for my friend, so I can’t test whether the songs will play but can someone confirm that this is all I have to do… just save the songs from my computer onto the memory card and my friend will be able to insert the card into her sansa player whenever she wants to listen to the songs that I saved for her, then she can take out the memory card and play the songs that she saved on her own sansa player.   Is this correct???   

Do the songs on my computer (that I want to save on the memory card for my friend) have to be purchased and downloaded from any specific website?  If not, can you recommend a couple of good sites that offer a wide variety of songs?   

Are there any special conditions that I should be aware of that would prevent her from being able to play the songs that I send her on the extra memory card? 

Thank you for your assistance in answering any of these questions for me!!  I really appreciate it!

learner67 wrote:

I am a brand new user on here and I need some help!  I just bought a SansaClip+ this afternoon and plan to give it to a friend as a Christmas present  (the friend is located in a different state so I’ll be mailing it).   In addition to giving my friend the actual player, I would also like to give her about 20 of my favorite songs.  Since I’m new at using this, I have lots of questions!  If you can help, I would really appreciate it!!!

I was told by the saleslady that I could not add the 20 songs that are currently saved on my computer directly to the SansaClip before I put it in the mail because there might be issues when she tries to add/load additional songs from HER computer.   Is this true?

Lets start here I guess. There shouldn’t be a problem with this unless you use songs with DRM protection. These are songs from Itunes store (before about the last month), Rhapsody, etc. If you added the songs to your computer yourself from CD or another source you should be fine. 

Assuming that I understood this correctly, the saleslady suggested that I purchase a separate memory card (which I did, 4GB) and then I can save the 20 songs from my computer onto the extra memory card that I put in the pkg to my friend (along with the SansaClip player).  I don’t want to open the Sansa player box since it will be new for my friend, so I can’t test whether the songs will play but can someone confirm that this is all I have to do… just save the songs from my computer onto the memory card and my friend will be able to insert the card into her sansa player whenever she wants to listen to the songs that I saved for her, then she can take out the memory card and play the songs that she saved on her own sansa player.   Is this correct???   

Ok as long as the songs you add are in a format the clip supports they will play. To be safe just make sure you use mp3 files. 

Do the songs on my computer (that I want to save on the memory card for my friend) have to be purchased and downloaded from any specific website?  If not, can you recommend a couple of good sites that offer a wide variety of songs?   

Legally you should. But if they are on your computer already then you can just copy and paste them to the card. If you want to buy them try Amazon.com. They sell DRM free mp3 downloads for $0.99.  

Are there any special conditions that I should be aware of that would prevent her from being able to play the songs that I send her on the extra memory card? 

As long as its a microSD card you will be fine.  

Thank you for your assistance in answering any of these questions for me!!  I really appreciate it!

Agree with the above.  Additionally:  

It seems that the saleslady was trying to get you to buy the extra memory card.  That’s a nice extra for your friend (and, as you said, now you don’t have to open the MP3 player box and plastic insert, which is a bear), but you could just as easily put your songs on the Clip+ itself as on the memory card.  

A few other content sources for you:

–  Audiobooks:   podiobooks.com - free audiobook, typically from newer authors

–  Podcasts:   check out podcastalley.com for a wide assortment of (free) podcasts - you also can get free podcasts from National Public Radio. 

–  Free albums:  http://freealbums.blogsome.com/album-directory-a-z/.

It sounds to me like this salesperson unfairly talked you into the extra microsdhc card.

First, if her concern had to do with DRM’d audio files, then the extra microsdhc card would make no difference at all.

Second, it seems odd (to me) to fill the microsdhc slot with just 4GB. ie, How much does an 8GB Clip cost vs. a 4GB Clip plus 4GB microsdhc card?

It’s still a very nice gift for your friend, and that’s what matters, but it does seem to me (from what I read here) that this salesperson acted irresponsibly.

Its probably easier to open and load a card then mail it, that it would be for the clip itself. Makes Perfect sense to me.

@conversionbox wrote:
Its probably easier to open and load a card then mail it, that it would be for the clip itself. Makes Perfect sense to me.

Well, that depends on how he would mount the microsdhc card to his PC without using the Clip. (ie, did the card come with an adapter? does his PC have a slot? Did the salesperson confirm all that with him?)

I totally understand not wanting to open the Clip packaging – an alternative to getting a microsdhc card would be to burn the files onto a CD, and mail that along with the Clip – but it’s true that’s not as “compact” as mailing the Clip with a microsdhc card.

Like I said, I think it’s very a nice gift!

turnstyle wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

Well, that depends on how he would mount the microsdhc card to his PC without using the Clip. (ie, did the card come with an adapter? does his PC have a slot? Did the salesperson confirm all that with him?)

I totally understand not wanting to open the Clip packaging – an alternative to getting a microsdhc card would be to burn the files onto a CD, and mail that along with the Clip – but it’s true that’s not as “compact” as mailing the Clip with a microsdhc card.

Like I said, I think it’s very a nice gift!

I sold Electronics for about 6 months in High School. Saying it makes things easier is a really easy way to sell accessories. Even if they dont actually make things easier, or if thy aren’t needed. 

Thanks for all of the good suggestions.  I will give the micro chip a try.  I appreciate the advice!  =) 

Just to emphasize: Make sure you buy the songs as .mp3 files–not .aac, .m4a, .wma or anything else. If you see any language about Digital Rights Management go to another site. 

Amazon sells straightward mp3s. Another place that sells .mp3s is www.emusic.com, which probably has a deal that gives you a bunch of files free for the first month if you subscribe (just remember to un-subscribe). 

You can often find whole albums free by typing Artist Album and Rapidshare into Google. 

How are you going to load the microSD from your computer? Do you have a reader, a slot in your computer or another device (cell phone, camera) that can connect and load the chip?

As for adding songs from the lucky recipient’s computer…Do you know if she subscribes to a music service like Rhapsody to Go or Napster? Has she used another mp3 player/

If she is a newbie or doesn’t have a subscription service, please suggest to her that when she gets the Clip+ she should immediately go into Settings/USB Settings and change it from Auto Detect to MSC.  This will make the Clip + work like any other flash drive–you drag and drop music onto it. If she’s more advanced, and wants to make playlists and things like that, there’s a free program called Media Monkey that works in MSC mode.

Or just suggest she take a look at these forums when she gets her new toy. People here will help her get started.  

Message Edited by Crescendo on 12-17-2009 07:25 AM

Crescendo wrote:

<–Snip–>

You can often find whole albums free by typing Artist Album and Rapidshare into Google. 

<–Snip–> 

Message Edited by Crescendo on 12-17-2009 07:25 AM

To google is one thing. But when you do this you need to really watch your source when you go to download. If you find it on a reputable site for music sales (Amazon, e-music, etc.) or an artist’s website then you are cool. But on sites like rapidshare and thepiratebay, you may very well be downloading a pirate file or an illegal copy which is… well illegal and should be avoided at all costs. (Pirate and Illegal files from sources like I mentioned can contain corruptions, viruses, poor quality, or any number of things that you dont want to deal with)

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 12-17-2009 03:17 PM