Putting MP3 onto micro card - can I do this?

Hi everyone.  I’m an OAP who is just getting to grips with all the wonderful technology out there.  My husband has just bought me a Sansa Clip+ to keep my downloaded audio books and podcasts on so that I don’t spend all my time at the computer with headphones on.  It’s wonderful!!!  Now I would like to buy a 16gb micro memory card to put all my music on whilst keeping the internal memory for my books only. 

Could some kind person please tell me what else I have to buy with the card for my computer - Windows XP.  I have an old Lexar card reader for my camera cards but the slots are too big for the micro so I’m assuming I need another card reader.  Recommendations please.  I prefer Sandisk products as I’ve used the memory cards for years for my photography.

One more thing - sorry.  Once I’ve got my card and reader and my computer is happy to accept them, can I just drag and drop my music into the card, just as I do with my books, and then just pop it  into the Clip? 

I have been reading many of the threads on this forum and have learned a lot so far. 

Thank you.

Kryssy

I usually like www.newegg.com for prices.  Most microSD cards come with a USB reader or an adapter so they can be read by an SD card reader.  “Class 2” is good enough for music & audiobooks.

The good news is you don’t really need a card reader.  Your Clip+ can work as a “card reader”. I’d recommend turning the Clip+ to “MSC mode” in System Settings > USB Mode.  Your Clip+ will show up in XP’s Windows Explorer as 2 separate drive letters (it will do this whether or not you have a card in, so you can look at it now).  The 1st drive letter is your internal memory, the 2nd letter is the MicroSD card drive.

Put your new card into your Clip+ , plug your Clip+ into your computer, and drag & drop your music directly onto the secondary memory card.  I “safely remove” my Clip+ before unplugging it, just to be safe.  A 16G card will probably cause a lengthy “refreshing your media” message!

Hope that helps.

kryssy wrote (IN PART):

… a Sansa Clip+ to keep my downloaded audio books and podcasts on so that I don’t spend all my time at the computer with headphones on.  It’s wonderful!!!  Now I would like to buy a 16gb micro memory card to put all my music on whilst keeping the internal memory for my books only.

I have an old Lexar card reader for my camera cards but the slots are too big for the micro so I’m assuming I need another card reader.

Besides what  kmk_01kmk wrote, may I comment that:

A 16GB card holds a LOT of music!  Maybe that refresh thing will be a bit of a problem?  What about 1 or 2 8GB cards?  I think I read something to that effect; let’s eee what other people say.

I got an 8GB microSDHC card with an adapter.

You can just plug that into a reader and transfer files directly froma computer.

Then pop the little card into your Clip+, and you’re all set.

Sheldon

The refresh time for a 16GB card certainly is longer than for an 8GB or less card.  But if you’re not constantly changing the contents of the card, that doesn’t become a great issue (at least for me).  And that 16GB of space is sweet!  (And I find that with that amount of space, I don’t change the card’s contents that often.)

The refresh time for a 16GB card certainly is longer than for an 8GB or less card.  But if you’re not constantly changing the contents of the card, that doesn’t become a great issue (at least for me).  And that 16GB of space is sweet!  (And I find that with that amount of space, I don’t change the card’s contents that often.)

As stated above, you can put your microcard into a card reader that has a slot its size, or use a card adapter for the card and then put that into the card reader.  But I like keeping it simple, as stated above:  simply put the microcard into the Clip+, connect the Clip+ to your computer via a USB cable, and then transfer your music to the Clip+, either to the internal memory or to the card memory.  A piece of cake!

Fabulous replies.  Thank you so much.  I’m off to order my card now.  I never thought of leaving the card in the Clip+ and just plugging it in.  I always put the card from my camera into the Lexar - don’t know why - so assumed I would have to do the same for the Clip.

I have over 500 CDs and no real storage for them so they are piled in boxes behind the sofa.  Having them on one little card means I can store them somewhere out of sight in another room.  Hubby will be pleased :smileyvery-happy:

It has taken me a while but I’ve finally joined the 21st century.  The grandchildren will be pleased.

@kryssy wrote:

I have over 500 CDs and no real storage for them so they are piled in boxes behind the sofa.  Having them on one little card means I can store them somewhere out of sight in another room.  Hubby will be pleased :smileyvery-happy:

It has taken me a while but I’ve finally joined the 21st century.  The grandchildren will be pleased.

Been there as well, with the 500 CDs.  Fortunately, I had a job at the time where I could multitask and rip my CDs while at work and getting business done.  In the end, it took me close to 2 weeks to get the ripping done (computers were slower then).  With colder weather coming up, something for those colder evenings while watching TV, perhaps snuggled on a couch!

Note that, depending on your rip rate, you won’t be able to fit all your CDs onto the microcard.  But a whole lot of them at a time!  And it really is amazing, so much onto something so tiny.

If you’re looking for a deal on microcards, Fry’s Electronics / frys.com periodically has been selling Polaroid-branded (A-Data is the manufacturer) cards with great rebates, getting a 16GB microSD card down to less than $20.  The card works fine (I have one–couldn’t resist the price and capacity), although is a basic Class 2 type (the less speedy type card, although this is only noticed when transferring music to or from the card, with the refresh time–and that’s the speed of the Clip’s onboard memory).  If you are fine with the speed qualification, recommended.  (If you don’t have a Fry’s store near you, the card can be ordered online with super $2 shipping.)  And limited rebate hassle, with the rebate check coming back in under 2 weeks for me.  Fry’s sales start late each Thursday nite (online)/Friday in-store.

Enjoy your music!

Hi Miikerman and thank you for the advice.  Unfortunately I live in France so getting to Fry’s sale is a bit awkward.  We pay way over the odds for things here so mostly I get what I need from Amazon UK and have it sent to friends and family who are about to visit - and there’s always plenty of them. 

Still, I wouldn’t want to move back to UK - besides, we can’t get any fuel right now so can’t move anywhere… :cry:

Ah, to have the style of life, and health/healthcare approach, of France (said from a U.S. perspective) …